Best osciloscope to 1000$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Upsss… I use HM-1507(better performance) instead HM-507.
Never mind if it’s Hameg, Philips, etc. Most important (IMO) if you measure analog signals is A/D noise (TDS1xxx and 2xxx are very noisy) and display resolution (nothing beat CRT tube).

Regards,
CodiJack.

P.S. I wouldn’t exchange my HM-1507 for any TDS2xxx, even it’s low end league .
:D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I've just been looking through this thread. Where an oscilloscope is concerned, you shouldn't be asking "What's the best I can get for $1000", you should be stating what you need.

Analogue vs digital: It's hard to beat a nicely focussed analogue display for quickly alerting you to a problem. The display updates quickly and misses little. Cheaper digital oscilloscopes miss many events whilst housekeeping. If you need to be able to store/process traces or capture transient events, digital is a must, otherwise go analogue.

Bandwidth: 20Mhz is usually enough for analogue audio problems, although some devices may oscillate at up to 100MHz. If you think you might want to look at digital audio, you need 100MHz. To look at video you need >60MHz.

Triggering and timebases: If you're going to look at video you need TV triggering and delayed timebase. Almost all 100MHz 'scopes offer delayed timebase. Line counting option is handy.

Automated measurements: Very nice, but not essential. They're usually very slow/inaccurate on analogue 'scopes.

Sadly, all of the Tek analogue 'scopes can be problematic to repair because of unavailable hybrids in the vertical amplifiers etc. Nevertheless, if you can find a 465B (100MHz) at a decent price, it's a risk worth taking. Alternatively, you could pick up a 20MHz teaching oscilloscope for almost nothing. If you're going to spend serious money, you want a serious 'scope.

tekman said:
@ tschrama:

Possibly the Philips PM329x line of scopes. Very nice made. Superb VHF up to 350 MHz. Lovely switchmode lightweight power supply. Well, but hard to get. I have one at home, and it'S really helpful. Covers everything from DC to 350 MHz.

hth,
Andreas

Hi

Yes, these are fantastic but also fragile. The SMPS's break down quite easilly. I have 2 pieces of these 3295A at the lab.

What now:xeye: ?
Some of you say , Hameg is not good !
I can buy Tektronix but don´t produce any analog scopes in curent prodiction.

On E-buy there are many scopes but how can I know which one is good , and is going to work for many years to come.

I don´t have time to hang on E-buy , and licitate my favorite scope :bawling:

So to some of you Hameg is **** , so tell me what is better solution in the price range , equivalent for HM507???

tekman said:
@ Gasho:

How about a 2nd hand Tektronix 2246, tested and in good working cond? More than enough BW for audio and video, very precise and reliable. Can be around 600 Euro in EC. Savesyou plenty of your 1000 $ budget.

More problem I see is to get the equipment to Croatia.
How will you manage this?

If you are really interested to get the scope, contact me via mail. and_de@gmx.de .

regards
Andreas
That is the problem , becouse new Tektronik TDS1012 is about 1100+22%(our tax)euros in Croatia , Hameg HN507 is the same price.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
One other thing that you should bear in mind about digital oscilloscopes is that they depreciate as fast as a computer - especially the cheaper ones. If it's a choice between a TDS1000 or 2000 series and an analogue Hameg, I'd go for the Hameg (despite the fact that I use Tek 'scopes).

I haven't used any Hameg, but have been quite happy with Kikusui, the poor man's Tek. I've owned three of their analog scopes over the years and have gotten nothing but good service from them. My current one is a 5 channel 100MHz unit, bought second-hand in perfect shape with certified calibration for about $300. That leaves a nice probe budget.

I will disagree slightly with EC8010- I think that 100MHz is very useful for analog circuits. I've had more than one experience with certain tubes (notoriously 6C45P and E88CC) singing merrily at VHF. These days, that extra bandwidth comes cheap.

@ Guido, @ Jacco:

well, you might simply hve got a bad batch. I have never had problems neither with the smps, the scope or the usage.

Well, if you have problems with the smps: But if you two need help with repair, I can do so. Simply contact me via email.

hth,
Andreas

I'm not aware of such fragility problems in Hameg oscilloscopes, I've owned a HM407-2 (analog+digital) for the past five years and it has never failed in any way, even though it has ben turned on most of the time because it shows some DC error that disappears after warm-up but I don't like to wait 10 minutes for warm-up.
It has even survived a 7kg toroidal transformer being accidentally droped over it with only some scratches and an unsoldered pin of one of the probe BNC connectors. The case and the internal frame are made from metal so they are quite solid.

Almost all the front panel controls are digital pushbuttons and wheels, so they are not strongly subject to aging like standard potentiometers and switches.

This oscilloscope is used in a hard enviroment with a dangerous mix of moisture, salt and dust, note that the sea is less than 200 meters away from here. After a couple of years I opened it and found some metallic surfaces starting to corrode so I used grease to protect them. All the PCBs except one were already protected from dust by menas of metal cases covering the top side, leaving only the bottom side of some PCBs exposed where no dust can build up. I cut a piece of thick paper and placed it in such a way that it covered the unprotected PCB, otherwise it would probably had already failed in such an ambient.

tekman said:
@ Guido, @ Jacco:

well, you might simply hve got a bad batch. I have never had problems neither with the smps, the scope or the usage.

Well, if you have problems with the smps: But if you two need help with repair, I can do so. Simply contact me via email.

hth,
Andreas

Hello Andreas "tekman".

Thanks for your kind offer, I will keep it in mind.

As far as I know one electrolytic inside that SMPS causes the failure (loss of capacitance).

best regards

@ Eva:

yep, everyone has different experiences made. I have had service for about 40 Hameg scopes (all differtn types ranging from 203, 205, 40x, 1xxx) , and that's just my 2cts of what i had found. Maybe you have had better luck.

For a serious use in professional audio/video service: no Hameg.

andreas

@ Guido:

Yes, sounds reasonable. Only problem is the the smps are encapsulated in plastic (at least service manual says so, and my 3295 has encapsusalted modules) , so easiest way is swap the smps.

The HV module is differnt - not encapsulated, so repair on parts basis is possible.

hth,
Andreas

tekman said:
@ Eva:

yep, everyone has different experiences made. I have had service for about 40 Hameg scopes (all differtn types ranging from 203, 205, 40x, 1xxx) , and that's just my 2cts of what i had found. Maybe you have had better luck.

For a serious use in professional audio/video service: no Hameg.

andreas
No Hameg?
What is than better solution in lower price range. I want new scope.

@ Guido, @ Gasho:

Guido brought it exactly to the point. and as Gasho said in the beginning of the thread: Gasho is looking for a reliable oscilloscope to do **serious** work in the audio/video field. with background (studying in the a/v field, working with pro equipment) -- that's the basis of our recommendation.

Okay Gasho I think you have heard now all pro and contras to the different scopes. May be you should check your budget, and go and get yourself a scope now ;-)

There is no need to stick on a new scope -- go for a reliable used one and you are better of. And especially in the low price region of new scopes: you "get what you pay for". Quality has it's price.

hth,
Andreas

quote:
Originally posted by Gasho
No Hameg?
What is than better solution in lower price range. I want new scope.

Hi,

The post says: No Hameg for pro use

cheers

Hi Gasho,

well, I don't see a reason for your emoticon that shows deep grief: As I wrote you via mail, you can have all help you need with a perfect scope. and if you want another, I look here for you.
So, your search has ended already succesfully

The only prpblem you have to take care for is to pay the scope - according to your first posting you have enough money to spend.

So, hope to hear from you soon to get the scope send to you.

hth,
Andreas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.