Best Nearfield DIY speaker for PC listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, active using MiniDSP. But I had run with analog also.

The L21s are replaced by L22, but to be honest they are too expensive for this application as the requirements are quite mundane (the fullrange can be crossed really low like 900hz.

So any 8" metal would do like Hivi M8 I guess.

What amps are you using ...are you using a 4 channel amp with these???

V

I too used 3" fullrange drivers for my desktop audio, as seen in this project:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/165604-unusual-design-desktops-wedge.html

Really pleased with them, they're very neutral and easy to listen to. I never find anything they do to be jarring or harsh so I guess the resonances are all kept in check. Can always add a subwoofer if you miss the lower bass.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:)

That is some really nice design....i dont have to tools to make these in apt...i am curious hows the bass sound on these..though reading your thread youa re amply satisfied...

i agree i dont like BASS box as apart the desk bass is everywhere...

V

Thanks! I'm really glad I saw this project through, it's my favourite really because it worked out so well and it's so simple to use.

Bass obviously doesn't extend that low, but you get a decent sound from kick drums and electric bass guitar sounds very convincing, presumably because so much of the content is upper harmonics above 70Hz anyhow. So, for rock and pop styles it's very satisfactory, some jazz has been impressive too. I listen to a lot of electronic music too and although the low synth bass is missing the overall sound is still punchy and clear.

Even though they are nearfield speakers the room does have an influence. In the room at Uni I find they get stronger bass if I back away from them, which is a bit annoying. When I tried them out here the bass really did surprise me though and it didn't sound much different around the room. They are currently out in the garage and they do well even filling that large space (double size).

So, I definitely recommend them, but at the same time I suspect most of the crop of high quality 3" fullrangers around now can offer similar performance so your options are broad :)

Thanks! I'm really glad I saw this project through, it's my favourite really because it worked out so well and it's so simple to use.

Bass obviously doesn't extend that low, but you get a decent sound from kick drums and electric bass guitar sounds very convincing, presumably because so much of the content is upper harmonics above 70Hz anyhow. So, for rock and pop styles it's very satisfactory, some jazz has been impressive too. I listen to a lot of electronic music too and although the low synth bass is missing the overall sound is still punchy and clear.

Even though they are nearfield speakers the room does have an influence. In the room at Uni I find they get stronger bass if I back away from them, which is a bit annoying. When I tried them out here the bass really did surprise me though and it didn't sound much different around the room. They are currently out in the garage and they do well even filling that large space (double size).

So, I definitely recommend them, but at the same time I suspect most of the crop of high quality 3" fullrangers around now can offer similar performance so your options are broad :)

yup, saw your construction build that gives me some jitter to start as shown above i ahve a nice 4" full range and it works beautifull in 2 way DIY Active speakers i made....so i thought it would work nicely on PC so far i was wrong it needs some kinda enclossure and your design do look intriguing

V

So this is my setup

pair of 8 inch for low woofer

HiVi M8a 8" Aluminum/Magnesium Woofer 297-447

pair of tang band

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-655sh.htm

Crossed by minidsp and full range powered by a tube amp and woofer powered by ClassT amp

YJ TDA7492 Class D Amplifier 50W+50W stereo 4~8ohm speaker | eBay

any opinions any ideas???

V

I'm not the expert because I'm still researching myself. But, I read at Zaph Audio that 3" full rangers are more suitable for pairing with a woofer. And, although I've read there are pros and cons of both woofer + full range and woofer + tweeter combinations, some say you lose definition at the higher frequencies if you use a full ranger.

After all my research starting with full rangers, then investigating 2-ways and 3-ways, I may end up with a woofer + tweeter 2-way. (Although I'm currently considering a approx. 5" woofer because I want both less power and less bass than an 8" so the voice sound quality will hopefully be more natural and clean.)

I'm not the expert because I'm still researching myself. But, I read at Zaph Audio that 3" full rangers are more suitable for pairing with a woofer. And, although I've read there are pros and cons of both woofer + full range and woofer + tweeter combinations, some say you lose definition at the higher frequencies if you use a full ranger.

After all my research starting with full rangers, then investigating 2-ways and 3-ways, I may end up with a woofer + tweeter 2-way. (Although I'm currently considering a approx. 5" woofer because I want both less power and less bass than an 8" so the voice sound quality will hopefully be more natural and clean.)

what combination are you looking at...i am kinda follwoing gainpath recomendation and also i have a full range speaker sitting on my desk..

V

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And, although I've read there are pros and cons of both woofer + full range and woofer + tweeter combinations, some say you lose definition at the higher frequencies if you use a full ranger.

And as another generalization you likely lose midrange definition with a midbass + tweeter. You certainly lose the seemlessness of a FR.

dave

what combination are you looking at...i am kinda follwoing gainpath recomendation and also i have a full range speaker sitting on my desk..

I'm not decided yet.

And as another generalization you likely lose midrange definition with a midbass + tweeter. You certainly lose the seemlessness of a FR.

Thanks for clarifying. I might see what I think when my midbass and tweeter arrives. I might seem like a waste to buy a single midbass and tweeter to experiment but I already have a pair of full rangers so I decided why not take advantage and see what I like.

in that case best way of 3 way...low crossed to woofer...then a full range running till 10k and then crossed to tweeter...

thats only way left...

I visited a bunch of stores once and saw one where there were several Sony mini stereos. One was like 100 watts total (50w per channel) and the others like 200w, 500w, whatever. Anyway, I thought that the stereo systems at 50w per channel or less had more natural, better voice quality. I read a 3-way takes more power to drive.

And yeah, I know if I hook up the midbass with the two full rangers it might not be the ideal solution (two woofers in stereo apparently better than a single woofer) but it might suffice for a while to give the full rangers more depth.

Hopefully by x-mas I'll have this sorted out (which chip amp and which combination of woofer + whatever) :)

Last edited:
i was able to get a SEAS H1141-08 it goes down to 45Hz which should be good enough...

H1141-08 L15RLY/P

i have a question...may be its stupid question...what if i run Seas and tang band full range...connect both of them in parallel to a tube amp.....

seas has a natural rolloff at 3Khz....after that tang band will take over....

sorry if this is stupid question...

I have a friend that wants me to build some nearfield monitors.

Im tempted by using another pair of Mark Audio drivers, but am sure the bass extension of the MA's (Alpair 7.3 or the CH70's) wouldn't be quite sufficient with a small enclosure.

Is there a easy, (and cheap) way of implementing a sub...would a powered plate amp using the sub out from a standard off the shelf integrated amplifier work well and be able to integrate into a full range system? MiniDSP could work well, just added extra cost that could be spent on better drivers/cabinet materials.

Thanks in advance

ideas

i was able to get a SEAS H1141-08 it goes down to 45Hz which should be good enough...

H1141-08 L15RLY/P

i have a question...may be its stupid question...what if i run Seas and tang band full range...connect both of them in parallel to a tube amp.....

seas has a natural rolloff at 3Khz....after that tang band will take over....

sorry if this is stupid question...

I asked Jeff Bagby (apparently good speaker designer) at the Parts Express forum what he thought of the woofer + fullrange combination and he told me (before my messages disappeared on the site after I suggested another brand of woofer for a build "advertised" in the forum) that people who believe it's superior to a woofer + tweeter combination are just fooling themselves. (He did say he tried with an Alpair 10 and a Jordan full range.)

I have a friend that wants me to build some nearfield monitors.

Im tempted by using another pair of Mark Audio drivers, but am sure the bass extension of the MA's (Alpair 7.3 or the CH70's) wouldn't be quite sufficient with a small enclosure.

Is there a easy, (and cheap) way of implementing a sub...would a powered plate amp using the sub out from a standard off the shelf integrated amplifier work well and be able to integrate into a full range system? MiniDSP could work well, just added extra cost that could be spent on better drivers/cabinet materials.

Thanks in advance

If you go in the vendor section, you'll see a chipamp forum. Chipamp.com has a kit with the LM1875 chip. I can't remember exactly but I think it was something like 18W + 18W + 36W subwoofer. In other words, it's a 2.1 chip.

Anyway, these comments are only my own :2c: because I'm not the expert around here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.