Best Nearfield DIY speaker for PC listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current office setup consists of Aura NS6, bare. With T-Amp.
"Bare" really means "bare". No box at all. No baffle therefore i can't call it "open baffle". Just a speaker sitting on the desk, used fullrange. I'm happy with the rig. Tried some fullrangers before and didn't liked them at all. CSS 125-something, some tangbands...

Well... with enough EQ you can easily reach the 60s-70s on the lower end. Lots of EQ, but heck, that's the cheapest and easiest DIY speaker i ever seen!
Not too loud, but quite nice sounding. I can share the preset for Electri-Q EQ. I tweak it time-to-time.

My current office setup consists of Aura NS6, bare. With T-Amp.
"Bare" really means "bare". No box at all. No baffle therefore i can't call it "open baffle". Just a speaker sitting on the desk, used fullrange. I'm happy with the rig. Tried some fullrangers before and didn't liked them at all. CSS 125-something, some tangbands...

Well... with enough EQ you can easily reach the 60s-70s on the lower end. Lots of EQ, but heck, that's the cheapest and easiest DIY speaker i ever seen!
Not too loud, but quite nice sounding. I can share the preset for Electri-Q EQ. I tweak it time-to-time.

any picture would be greatly appreciated

Something like the Fountek above + a small tweeter, or something using the Small RS75/100 + small tweeter would be my first choice.

Augrepro was working on a design using the former, originally paired with a DQ25, which he then changed to an NE19 fro the vifa line. So far no final word on the xover has been produced, but a PM might result in a working prototype.

HTGuide Forum - Can you smell what Brando's cooking!?

And cjd was working on a design using the RS100 + a cheap dayton tweeter. He has produced a crossover for this design, the design itself being built into a standard size aluminium enclosure, of course you could build something out of MDF/wood.

HTGuide Forum - The Pecorinos

how much u liek to listen on this??sonic quality?

for what I'm using it for it sounds good, imaging is good, bass is plenty for the size of speaker, treble is clear but without the 'shouty' nature of other full range drivers I've owned. It also plays plenty loud enough.

What I liked when I chose it was the flat frequency response in the datasheet.

the enclosure is pretty small, a larger enclosure may provide better sound.

Fostex have a small driver that is reckoned to be a bit cleaner in the mids, but it loses on Xmax - and there may be other differences. everything being a tradeoff.

I haven't found any need for a tweeter. with such close listening differences I would not want more than one cone.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fostex have a small driver that is reckoned to be a bit cleaner in the mids, but it loses on Xmax - and there may be other differences. everything being a tradeoff.

I have a customer who did a "blind" comparison of the FR88 ML-TL/BR Hybrids and a set of uFonkenSET. I'll extract and post his unsolicited comments when i can get at his email when u return home.

dave

Sure you can. A demo at last year's VI diyFEST between Over Night Sensation & mMar-Kel70 sold a lot of EL70 for Bob.

dave

Do you have a link for that speaker Dave. I've never heard of them. 5 years ago I spent some serious coin on my desk top system. but eventually sold it off and ended up with a pair of Paradigm 3SE. When I am working on the confuser, I am not really listening critiacally.

I found dipoles work really well nearfield...

DSC_1962.jpg

any picture would be greatly appreciated

Not as clean as Gainphile's :D But open baffle in nearfield is the best.
By the way, you get nice bass in the sweetspot, but noone else hears it, as well as the higher frequencies which are narrow with the fullrangers.
Ultimate single-seat system which won't bug your's coworkers too much... :D

Tape dispensers are handy :)

Attachments

• DSC_0000.jpg
    DSC_0000.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 554
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 533
  • EQ.png
    EQ.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Aura NS6 EQ preset for Electri-Q.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
This looks interesting...r u using active crossover also are the same Seas are still available in the market.... or something similar

V

Yes, active using MiniDSP. But I had run with analog also.

The L21s are replaced by L22, but to be honest they are too expensive for this application as the requirements are quite mundane (the fullrange can be crossed really low like 900hz.

So any 8" metal would do like Hivi M8 I guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.