Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

Henry,

We're you referring to the amount of power available or to a cone attribute? Not sure I got your point.

I was referring to different multich amps that is used to power the drivers, i have never heard 2 different amplifiers that sounded the same, especially the way the sound image projected.

So perhaps better to invest a higher performance amplifier than sacrifice the quality of those amps for the sake of active

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I was referring to different multich amps that is used to power the drivers, i have never heard 2 different amplifiers that sounded the same, especially the way the sound image projected.

So perhaps better to invest a higher performance amplifier than sacrifice the quality of those amps for the sake of active

The beauty of active is just that. It lets you choose the best amplifier for the task. For example: right now I am using a single ended, class A, germanium transistor based amp for my mid-range. It was discarded from another guys system as simply being inadequate to drive his bass section. I could have already told him that, but he had been blindsided by SE(T) worship, that is until just recently. You know, sometimes you gotta just let folks figure these things out for themselves. Advice and opinion are just that-- opinion. He now uses a '45 set on his compression driver (WE555), and push-pull for his bass.

I have a 4-way active system. Each amplifier section is vastly different from the other. Triode, class A, Class D, Class AB, and then all blend together marvelously :)

The beauty of active is just that. It lets you choose the best amplifier for the task. For example: right now I am using a single ended, class A, germanium transistor based amp for my mid-range. It was discarded from another guys system as simply being inadequate to drive his bass section. I could have already told him that, but he had been blindsided by SE(T) worship, that is until just recently. You know, sometimes you gotta just let folks figure these things out for themselves. Advice and opinion are just that-- opinion. He now uses a '45 set on his compression driver (WE555), and push-pull for his bass.

I have a 4-way active system. Each amplifier section is vastly different from the other. Triode, class A, Class D, Class AB, and then all blend together marvelously :)

Yes sure, if me, i would use active bass and keep mid and tweeter with the same high quality amplifiers.

I have done some small test of comparing multich amps (not AVR) to proper stereo amp. 2 different speakers of course, however both have similar freq and power response.

Me and my mate agrees that the passive speakers sounds better with 2ch amp on mid and treble, and active was better in bass region.

Anyway, its just my 2c [emoji4]

deank, I am about to mount the Faital Pro 15PR400 drivers.
Enclosures are 80 liters; I made a provision for aperiodic damping and will experiment with that, but can seal the enclosures if that would work better.
-3dB should be around 60 Hz which is not full range bass.
Room gain will help, but, if bass indeed suffers, I will try a Linkwitz transform to gain the bottom octave.
If that does not work well enough I would use an additional subwoofer, but I guess the LT will work.

Isnt the 12p the coveted large driver that everyone states is amazing?

I wont ever try the driver because I dont have the funds to play with lots of drivers but also cant convince myself to use something that needs to be crossed much lower than the TPL wants to go. Just my opinion is all.

But I hope to read about your opinion on the two. I hope you will have the two together to compare.

Many hurdles have caused me to still not have started my own TPL build. I will be using the PHL 3451 10" mid. I will also be trying to use the TPL in another design with four 4" mids. Hopefully closer to Xmas is when I will attempt my design.

I also have some beta 8a from Eminence that I will also try and compare.

Really tired of talking about designs and hopefully things start to turn around and I start making saw dust soon.

The speaker is not finished yet.
In a prototype I compared the Audax with the B&C. Despite the good specifications of the Audax it was difficult to correct it's rising response without loosing too much efficiency; it had too much of a "cuppy" character whereas the 8PE21 immediately blended well with the TPL150 with a neutral sound, not "lagging" behind the TPL150 in terms of speed (the large magnet and high Bl might have something to do with this).
When the bass enclosures are ready the system as a whole will be finished, maybe separate amplification for the bass speaker.
In the prototype the 8PE21 had a pretty wide baffle (some 45 cm); crossover LR2 at some 1900 Hz but this will be rechecked and optimized. Not lower though because TPL150 looses sound quality when crossed lower.

Hi,
thats interesting! In witch enclosure (volume and type) you put the 8pe21? Was it bass-reflex or closed?

I think the PHL midrange doesn’t match the character of the TPL150h and is too great a size change from the 18p80nd. I have a very good sound now using the B&C8ndl51. Active, LR4, crossover 150hz and 2khz. Only question is the Faital Pro 8pr155 or RCF MBN8251? They both seem to have a smoother response 1.6- 2khz. Does anyone have experience with these drivers? The 8pe21 and 8ps21 don’t extend far enough into the bass.
I believe once you move away from the 12p80ndv2 you realise its’ shortcomings when paired with the TPL - perhaps it works best with a compression driver?

I think the PHL midrange doesn’t match the character of the TPL150h and is too great a size change from the 18p80nd. I have a very good sound now using the B&C8ndl51. Active, LR4, crossover 150hz and 2khz. Only question is the Faital Pro 8pr155 or RCF MBN8251? They both seem to have a smoother response 1.6- 2khz. Does anyone have experience with these drivers? The 8pe21 and 8ps21 don’t extend far enough into the bass.
I believe once you move away from the 12p80ndv2 you realise its’ shortcomings when paired with the TPL - perhaps it works best with a compression driver?

How do you compare the midrange of the 8pe21 vs 8ndl51?

The 8ndl51 has better bass extension which I need if extending to 150hz.
On further research the Faital Pro 8PR200 might be the best driver if manufacturer response curves are to be believed?

While Faital Pro is good/great IMO, when I was testing 10" midbasses (Faital, Ciare, 18 Sound, B&C, Beyma), the Faital's were the worst performing with regards to Harmonic Distortion (I tested a total of three different model Faital Pro's, not just one). They weren't terrible, they were still very clean with low HD, but the others blew them away for the most part.