best hi-end midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why is 4500 not suitable for a MTM?

Why would 150 be too low in most cases for a dedicated mid? So how does that work, as I thought that for example, that it is quite common to have a subwoofer up to 80, if you then would like to use that whit a MTM? What do you do then? I must really miss something here, because I really do not understand a thing in these matters.

Spacing and Audax

MTM does not necessarily imply D'Apollito theory...but Joe's work implies that driver spacing, center to center should not be greater than the wavelength at the crossover frequency. As stated in an earlier post, Lynn Olsen crossed over much higher with the Ariel and people have liked that design for many years.

The Audax is available in the US from Madisound. I'm not sure about in Australia. I have a pair that has been mounted for testing, but is virtually new. The post to AU might be expensive.

C

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Odd that Zaph Audio's testing and ratings haven't gotten mentioned by now in a 'best driver' thread.

If I were to choose one I would save up my money and go for a Scan-Speak Revelator. I've heard them in several designs, and they're fantastic. (Plus they look stealthy, unlike the blingy Seas Excel. I'm using some Tyler Acoustics speakers right now that use the Excel, and the copper phase plug is distracting me from enjoying them. Why can't I overcome this, because they do sound good...?)

Dont try to re invent the wheel..... SABA green cones perfect from aroud 100hz to 6khz or even 10k!!

I tried Lowther on OB and liked them a lot also, do cut at about 4k to avoid whizzer.....

My favourite was Oval Telefunken, alnico of course.

I guess the main factor here will be the Drivers Moving mass (Mm). The lower the better.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You know, anybody can recommend any number of very nice drivers, but it all comes down to how you handle it, even the best drivers can sound like absolute cr@p

I dont fully understand what you hope to achieve with only one of 2 woofers boxed ... will they be crossed differently

Yup; "the best" starts (ends??) at the drivers but if you don't carry it through the whole chain, those transparent, revealing drivers can turn on you with a vengeance.

Source(s), cables, (passive ?) pre, cables, amp, cables, crossover design and components, box wiring, box, drivers... ALL need to be at least musical and non-fatiguing if not the last word in transparency etc. Are you prepared for the possibility of discovering that some system upgrades might suddenly be in order? (And at those levels, most of the upgrade "opportunities" are expensive, and you really need to hear them in your system after breakin in order to choose wisely.) Our Great Project has been in process with varying degrees of motivation for nine years, and we're just regarding the design as "finished" and building the second pair. The end results are extremely impressive, but there were two CD player upgrades (Cal Audio Labs Tercet Mk IV to ML 36 DAC to Sony SCD-777 ES with VSE level 6 mods.) I progressed from Bryston 3B to 4B to 4BST, to 4BSST, and there have been several generations of cables, most homemade (finally settled on tri-wired home made speaker cables and Cardas Golden Cross and Presence interconnects). Crossover components also went through upgrade changes. And through it all, the speakers kept faithfully reporting each change, and they are almost certainly not the limiting factor yet. (Scanspeak 25W, Skaaning 15 cm, Scanspeak 2905/9900.)

On another note; very nice looking tinitus, and the attention to diffraction is impressive.

Edit: whilst I was toiling away at this, tinitus removed the picture he had posted. Perhaps a link? They are well worth showing off.

Re: What are you planning to use for a bass driver?

chrismercurio said:
and the tweeter?

I currently have the Audax and the Visaton in an OB test baffle rigth now and it is really hard to choose. They are both wonderful, but very different. They are both smooth and full of detail, but the presentation is different and I am having a hard time choosing which to use for a project.

C

Hi Chris,

At what frequency are you crossing the Audax and Visaton? I never pay much attention to this 2 driver until I saw a lot of post about them. Was always though Seas and SS have the better mid. Well, learning all the time :D

Sam

They are both running wide open. The best (in my opinion) way to hear a drivers colorations are to run it full range even if it doesn't have a smooth response. Albert Von Schwiekert taught me about this many years ago, although he would listen to pink or white noise to listen to the differences. You will hear anomalies as well, but all drivers have a "sound".

C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.