best hi-end midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
sorry fore the edit :clown:

Attachments

• ektagrande_1.jpg
    ektagrande_1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 752
"In my opinion the best way to use a midrange driver is to choose an excellent driver capable delivering practically the majority of frequence-range,so our ears will not listen to any crossing point between the critical 150-4.000 hz.
Bass as well as tremble will just help give the harmonics.The critical listening is mids.If a loudspeaker fails there ,then its a failure"

The drivers I recommended will give a very good performance at this freq. range with one driver (or two at the same freq.)

Best midrange: If you ask about the whole system it is a diferent question, isnt it?

I actually changed from OB which I tired with all the drivers I recommended and many more, (except the PHY) to Compression drivers and front horns, I find these give a much better performance than cone drivers IMHO. But to get 150hz from a front horn becomes a challenge, I am using now a 170hz Exp. Round front horn with a cone driver up to 1khz were a turn to a 1" compression driver and a tactrix barrel horn all the way up. I get more dynamics, soundstage and micro level detail this way.
Bass is OB.

The Oval Telefunken (9" X 6") was running on an Open Baffle from around 100hz to around 10k no Xover, helper tweeter (beyma cp21f) and helper woofer (Altec 416 ported box). The OB was designed if I remember correctly at 1/4 of a wavelength (100hz) to one side and up and 1/8 of a wavelength to the other 2 sides, sitting on top of the Altec boxes...I later decoupled them mechanically with great results (much cleaner). I went crazy and was triamping them with a PLLXO at 100hz on one amp, somehow PLLXO never did work for the tweeter on the other amp so I was using one 1.5mfd cap and a bunch of 0.22mfd to adjust XO point and transformer speaker volume control. I was using EQ for bass and diy horrible looking gainclones :)

There was just something magical about oval, they went a bit lower than the round SABA and had a fuller sound without loosing detail. Maybe it was a size thing since it is a bigger driver than a round 8 incher, it did have more dynamics also... I tried a beautiful and expensive round Telefunken black cone and was a bit too dark for my taste...then I punched a screwdriver through one of them (Shite...) the result of changing too many drivers!!!
Fostex 207 was behind in performance to any of these. Lowther DX3 was competitive and did go a bit lower...well and higher with the whizzer and all, oh and the 2khz peak that is soo addictive.

That was a nice setup, with good tone dynamics and extension, with nice center image and enveloping soundstage, what finally got me was that I could never pinpoint an instrument, that and the part where I started hearing the lowther whizzer enough to take them off and connect a pair of 806 and 811 horns...no looking back then. One of these days I will hook up my ovals again.

Open baffle, then it's a dipole

joz said:
Certainly when i say open air I mean open baffle,not closed box either sealed or bass reflex,and the room its quite big measuring 360cubic meters,i listen to all kind of music,and loud as well.

If you're using an open baffle that essentially makes it a dipole for the mid portion unless you damp the back wave in some form. What are you thinking of for the crossover? Active with equalization of the midrange highpass?

Dave

The small Skanning flexunit with the underhung voicecoil!! The 4 H 52 13 07
I have one speaker with this mid and have a pair kickin around. They are expensive..
but smooth very dynamic, great transient response. Too bad you need to cross so low. 100 Hz is too much to ask of a small driver at any real SPL. You need more
cone area for any impact or dynamics that low. 200Hz is OK but the driver will strain at decent spl's. I'm using them in a small system with a Skanning 7" and
12" Volt radial bass bins. my favorite upper mid of all time is the ATC 3" dome
NOTHING short of a horn can touch it's transients and impact and it's super smooth.
Needs to be crossed above 500Hz though. The old Focal Kevlar sandwich cones were good (40mm voice coil versions.) but they do have breakup modes up top. Using
a driver with that wide a range means you will have some tradeoffs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.