Best Gainclone Design is?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that this discussion is quite important for anyone new at this, just because any equipment will run without fuses (if you make it that way) and the enthusiastic novice may just overlook them. On the other hand, the house's electric system have their own fuses, which can act for instance with high inrush current txs.

BTW, with bridges common to both channels we get 2000uF per rail.

Miguel

Come on now, fuses do serve a purpose. You don't have to put them
in everywhere but any mains-powered design, at least, should have
a judicious use of fuses for safety.

Fuses are intended to fuse. There wouldn't be a market for
self-destructing components unless they served a purpose.

Good morning Mr. Phelps. This fuse will self-destruct in five seconds. :)

Power?

Relatively new to audio.
Loading up on information before beginning an amp project.

Find it quite fascinating that there are systems capable of such resolution as to be affected by fusing or a power supply switch.

I would have thought that a good power supply with filter caps would take the raw AC and make the best use of the available electrons. Of course, gross variables such as voltage dips and spikes, frequency shifts, etc. would directly affect the output of the power supply.
Placing these gross power anomalies aside for a moment......

Now I am wondering, before I begin to build, since I am a power company operating engineer, if I should investigate from which power plant on our grid I should purchase the raw AC.

I am responsible for closely regulating a 127kv Hydrogen cooled
6 Megawatt turbine powered generator and would like to know if there is some way that I could assess the quality of the electrons I provide.
(For example, excessively agitated sub-nuclear particle fields affecting the electrons produced by different generators)?

Going to the statement by the fellow from South Africa who had the unfused main with the neutral supply carried by the heating pipes and claimed incredible sound;
Were the pipes iron or copper? Was there glycol mixed with the heating system fluids, etc.?
For example, at the power plant we continuously check for the level of metals in suspension in our coolant lines.
This check is done actually by reading the change in conductivity of the coolant itself. As the coolant becomes more conductive we know that metal from the pipes is being eroded from the interior of the pipes and at a certain point we exchange the coolant before it reaches an unacceptable level of conductivity.
(As the level of conductivity rises it has an exponentially negative effect on the rate of the erosion).

Since I am not a physicist I can only theorize that the possibility may exist that the electrons in each hemisphere might move in a counter fashion as they travel along the pipes, in the sense that water going down a drain rotates in opposite directions in each hemisphere.
This thought goes to skin effect where I have read that many amp builders avoid silver plated wire since the signal travels on the exterior of the wire but as the current level increases the current travels deeper in the wire. As the signal is forced to choose between silver or copper, (and the conductivity being a difference of a 3or4 ohms? per 1,000ft of conductor), a "smearing? of the sound can occur.

Just want to verify as many variables as I can before I begin to build my amp.
Apologies in advance for the new guy questions.
a

Re: Power?

P901 said:
Relatively new to audio.
Loading up on information before beginning an amp project.

Find it quite fascinating that there are systems capable of such resolution as to be affected by fusing or a power supply switch.

I would have thought that a good power supply with filter caps would take the raw AC and make the best use of the available electrons. Of course, gross variables such as voltage dips and spikes, frequency shifts, etc. would directly affect the output of the power supply.
Placing these gross power anomalies aside for a moment......

Now I am wondering, before I begin to build, since I am a power company operating engineer, if I should investigate from which power plant on our grid I should purchase the raw AC.

I am responsible for closely regulating a 127kv Hydrogen cooled
6 Megawatt turbine powered generator and would like to know if there is some way that I could assess the quality of the electrons I provide.
(For example, excessively agitated sub-nuclear particle fields affecting the electrons produced by different generators)?

Going to the statement by the fellow from South Africa who had the unfused main with the neutral supply carried by the heating pipes and claimed incredible sound;
Were the pipes iron or copper? Was there glycol mixed with the heating system fluids, etc.?
For example, at the power plant we continuously check for the level of metals in suspension in our coolant lines.
This check is done actually by reading the change in conductivity of the coolant itself. As the coolant becomes more conductive we know that metal from the pipes is being eroded from the interior of the pipes and at a certain point we exchange the coolant before it reaches an unacceptable level of conductivity.
(As the level of conductivity rises it has an exponentially negative effect on the rate of the erosion).

Since I am not a physicist I can only theorize that the possibility may exist that the electrons in each hemisphere might move in a counter fashion as they travel along the pipes, in the sense that water going down a drain rotates in opposite directions in each hemisphere.
This thought goes to skin effect where I have read that many amp builders avoid silver plated wire since the signal travels on the exterior of the wire but as the current level increases the current travels deeper in the wire. As the signal is forced to choose between silver or copper, (and the conductivity being a difference of a 3or4 ohms? per 1,000ft of conductor), a "smearing? of the sound can occur.

Just want to verify as many variables as I can before I begin to build my amp.
Apologies in advance for the new guy questions.
a

So what were the questions? I somehow got lost in the flow of (your) ideas.;)

Do you use snubbers? With one bridge I noticed a large improvement when using 100nF snubber caps over each diode

I'm not Peter but initially used those caps ,too.
They seem to improve the sound but when I listened to the GC with these caps for two weeks and then without them two weeks and with them again the "improvement" they bring doesn't seem to be that good.Actually,long term I liked the sound without them better!

One more thing I observed is that one film cap across bridge woks better than cap on each diode,but at the end I don't use them at all.

Bartek

zygibajt said:

I'm not Peter but initially used those caps ,too.
They seem to improve the sound but when I listened to the GC with these caps for two weeks and then without them two weeks and with them again the "improvement" they bring doesn't seem to be that good.Actually,long term I liked the sound without them better!

One more thing I observed is that one film cap across bridge woks better than cap on each diode,but at the end I don't use them at all.

Bartek

I think it's a good idea to describe the changes a component or a setup creates rather than saying it is better or worst.
It's obvious that one amp can be suitable for the tonal signature of some sources/speakers and not so suitable for other, so simple statements like that confuse people new at that a lot. They take everything as given and doesn't help them make the right decision having in mind their own setup.

As far as P901, I take his speech as a joke.
I can say that different components can make a difference in the way a system sounds. Sometimes small sometimes big, sometimes non what so ever. That is totally dependant on the sensitivity (emotional too, not just the hearing part) of the listener. So the only way to solve that is: try it, if you find it sounds different-good implement the change if it sounds different-bad don't and if you don’t find any difference pick the cheaper part. Though for me I don't bother to try if a silver wire would sound different from a copper one. That's going a bit too far, but that's me. One thing for sure is that the less parts on the way of the signal (without compromising the design of course) the better.

One more time: Let's be specific about the type of changes in the sound picture different component crate. Just good and bad doesn't cut it.

Enjoy the music!

Sometimes describing the changes doesn't say anything either, as you might perceive them completely different. Adding parts (especially) capacitance, will change the tonal balance somewhat, but it also does something else. It changes the harmonic structure of the sound and some people notice it and some are not even aware of it. I guess it's pretty well described here:

"it seems recent audio design concentrates more on the sound rather than the music. To me, listening to the sound and listening to the music is a very different act. Music is more like the way one note springs into the next, not just an enumeration of each note, but many of todays' high end products seem concerned more about the purity of each sound and not enough about how these notes are made into music. So they all sound very static and distant. There's a gap between the space where the listener is and where the reproduced music is. That is probably what Mr. Kimura calls an artificial quality. They tend to leave the listener as a solitary observer and lack the power of emotional involvement. "

Maybe some technical info could be useful here. Which is the role of snubbers? From my readings they act as dampers to the ringing caused by the switching diodes. But do they act in any way to eliminate RFI/EMI noise? I am considering a simple psu filter using a 100nF cap across the mains and using a small toroid core with 3 turns of the mains wire (not a separation tx, just put the 3 turns around it). From this it goes to the tx. So the change I heard with snubbers could be the damping of the ringing or the elimination of RFI?

Miguel

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I tried snubbers on one of my IGCs with MBR10100 Schottkys, and I found the sound was definately worse, and in fact, the quote in PD's post above sums it up quite well.

But then again, I still like my non minimal IGCs with 2000uf capacitance and 549s over all this new fangled NIGC/buffering/etc. business...:D

Are those 4,7uf's snubbers?

Are those 4,7uf caps after the bridges I use in my circuit below snubbers?
Or do they work as bypass caps for the 1000uf's, and do they make no sence when I'm using the 1uf film cap between pin 1 and 4...?

/Jan

Attachments

• gcjbm.gif
    gcjbm.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 847
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.