"Best Free Music Player and Organizer'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just introduced madVR (freeware) as video renderer on JRMC. That one also uses Cuda. You might want to try it.

No point trying, it will work on my Laptop, which has a NVIDIA GPU (Cuda is NVIDIA) but my Media PC has an ATI Card as support for these is much better in all software and as it still has extensive analogue, as well as digital output options (my card has YPbPr, S-Video, Composite Video, VGA and DVI/HDMI).

I can tell you, that for now Foobar, VLC or whatever won't replace that setup. These programs are just not able to cover it all the way JRMC does.

Yes, JRMC or with more effort but better Support for downloaded movies/TV Series and MediaPortal are a different Class, we also need to mention X-Box Media Center (of which Media Portal is a Fork) and which is available on Linux and as live-CD.

If somebody would offer a nice remote app for JRMC ( as e.g. iPeng for Squeezebox), I'd even consider to throw out my Squeezeboxes right away.

I believe there is such for JRMC, actually, for iPod touch/iPhone...

Though I do think that my processor and 4GB RAM are not sufficant for running 10u0p. Those are driven pretty much on the edge with 1080p. Every little incident gets the system out of balance.

Could be the Video GPU more than the Atom.

How much % CPU do you see when playing 1080P and is the playback using all available threads (Atom 330 has 4 virtual CPU's - much software needs hacks to use all cores)?

Also, maybe try MediaPortal, it is less CPU intensive IME than JRMC.

Ciao T

I think madVR also supports ATI related GPU accellerations. Just try it.
It's freeware.

You're right, I need to make sure that all stuff involved is running properly.
I'm not sure if all cores are used. I also need to make sure that all stuff is
64 bit asf asf.. :rolleyes:

If somebody thinks getting audio properly up to speed on a PC is a nightmare,
this person obviously hasn't done anything with video yet.
Though I do see a lot of similarities between quality audio and video.

It would be interesting to see how a 100$ Blu-Ray player handles those
demands on performance.

Cheers

Cheers

The aforementioned XBMC is another option. Free with source code available to audit the audio path.

I have experience only with the linux version, but the windows one should be OK too.

A friend of mine is using Nvidia Ion miniITX board with xbmc-pvr branch (personal video recorder, support for TV backends), tvheadend for HD DVB-S, HD decoding on GPU, HDMIed to HD TV, Ubuntu Lucid. He is not experiencing any video tearing or hickups, for HD satellite or HD mkvs.

Our family HTPC is running the same SW setup on an old, ravenous but much more powerful P4 CPU + Nvidia GT220.

The pvr branch is not rock stable yet, it involves numerous changes but the official XBMC stable should be OK, for windows too. It can be also controlled by Android android-xbmcremote - Official XBMC Remote for Android - Google Project Hosting and iPhone iPhone as a Remote Control for XBMC | Devices.com

Hi,

I think madVR also supports ATI related GPU accellerations. Just try it. It's freeware.

Maybe, maybe not.

There is a reason I use SAF. It is assembled by people within the Media Portal community and tested carefully with Media Portal.

So I just do not have to muck about, I just install MP and SAF, bingo, good performance, full use of DXVA, you name it... ;-)

Ciao T

Pavel.

The devil lies in the details. As usual.

The featurelist and soundquality of JRMC IMO sets the W7 standard.
Just google it. It can easily compete with dedicated high-quality
audio-only players. Add to it Fidelizer for system optimization
and I bet everbody will have a pretty enjoyable audio system.

JRMC is even supporting fullfilebuffering for audio only and Wasapi
Event Style. No idea if that is offerered by others.
Of course Foobar does, but I leave audio-only players out of consideration.

It would be smart move to prepare a checklist comparing all the features and related performance.
Otherwise a discussion like this will end up nowhere.

As I said. I'm fiddling around with 1080p mkv and I don't manage to get
them working 100% on my Atom330. Everything below that resolution
works just fine. But meanwhile I know. One bad setting (out of many)
can have major impact on the performance. First you need to understand though how all this video/audio related stuff goes togehter.

Beside that. For now Linux actvities are put on hold my side. I'm honestly not willing anymore to cope with the flaws and compromises popping up behind every corner on a Linux based system. I do have the feeling that I spent too much time on these systems.

Cheers

The featurelist and soundquality of JRMC IMO sets the W7 standard.

You know my position towards different sound from different bit-perfect audio players :)

No idea if that is offerered by others.

Me neither, but due to source code availability of XBMC we can easily check :)

I am not saying XBMC is the best. I am just presenting the practical experience of a friend of mine with XBMC running fullHD mkvs on perhaps the same HW as you do. Plus I would expect windows performing better in HD GPU-accellerated playback than linux due to certainly better nvidia drivers.

Beside that. For now Linux actvities are put on hold my side. I'm honestly not willing anymore to cope with the flaws and compromises popping up behind every corner on a Linux based system. I do have the feeling that I spent too much time on these systems.

It is your choice, nothing for me to comment. But did I give any recommendation to use linux here? I know very well it takes quite some linux knowledge, time, and willingness to learn new stuff to make such project success.

It took me truly hundreds of hours to advance my HTPC to where it is now, many dead-end streets ventured, and still I am not completely satisfied. But I am kind of demanding :) Plus I have learnt a lot about video playback, technical details of DVB-S, Arch linux and its ecosystem, fine tuning of window managers, on-demand window placements, multiple remotes in LIRC, ACPI computer wakups on time to record a show, XBMC development and the community around, etc. Unlike most others I do not view it as wasted time :)

Last edited:
ThorstenL
A question if I may about your MC,

How usable is the 7 inch display on the front of the MC case?
Are you able to use the front display just for music searching/playing?

I use a win7 D510 mini-itx for music streaming/playing with a 17" touch screen.
the touchscreen is to big and cumbersome so I'm looking for a remote for it.
and use the pc headless.

I've been looking at android tablet's to be used as a remote for the pc.
A 7" tablet should be suitable.
just found this
NOOK Color - The Reader's Tablet - BARNES & NOBLE - Barnes*&*Noble
can be modded with this
Gizmo - JRiverWiki

This app is for jriver but maybe the thought has already gone to other media players.

Allan

Last edited:
Hi,

How usable is the 7 inch display on the front of the MC case? Are you able to use the front display just for music searching/playing?

If the thing is on top of the rack, so I do not bend down, it is usable, I normally still use the remote, rarely any "touch". I must say, having used 19" and larger touchscreen All In One PC's, if I was music only (not AV and all that) I'd get a larger AIO PC nowadays.

I use a win7 D510 mini-itx for music streaming/playing with a 17" touch screen. the touchscreen is to big and cumbersome so I'm looking for a remote for it. and use the pc headless.

What player software are you using? I have used Media Portal, Album Player and J-River MC on such screens (all with MCE remotes and touch) and I find the user experience very nice.

Ciao T

Hi

I'm using Foobar at present on this dedicated music pc.
Also on my Desktop pc, music on NAS.

Tried nearly all the different music player Windows and Linux, eventually went back to Win7 > wasapi >foobar > asus D1 soundcard out via spdif(not optical).
I was using asio for a long time, since wasapi came out for win7 it seems quite good.
I played with Media Portal a while ago mainly for video's, went back to wmc, now HTPC been decommed, just use a beyonwiz to record video/tv.

I do have a mce remote around here, I just wanted to get rid of the touchscreen LCD.
J-River MC and an android tablet as remote sounds interesting, I'll have to investigate it a bit more.

Hi

I'm using Foobar at present on this dedicated music pc.
Also on my Desktop pc, music on NAS.

Tried nearly all the different music player Windows and Linux, eventually went back to Win7 > wasapi >foobar > asus D1 soundcard out via spdif(not optical).
I was using asio for a long time, since wasapi came out for win7 it seems quite good.
I played with Media Portal a while ago mainly for video's, went back to wmc, now HTPC been decommed, just use a beyonwiz to record video/tv.

I do have a mce remote around here, I just wanted to get rid of the touchscreen LCD.
J-River MC and an android tablet as remote sounds interesting, I'll have to investigate it a bit more.

you dont even need a tablet for that purpose, a small android phone will work perfectly to control foobar.

i think we have same needs and problem, and I believe that I already found some solution check here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/193331-my-poor-man-music-server.html#post2651530

Last edited:
Hi,

Which software do you recommend? Jriver?
All I need is music app.

It really depends what you want.

JRMC is fairly easy to install, set-up and single point, add Fidelizer to improve music streaming on Vista/Seven.

It rips (including Trackinfo etc.) Music.

It plays music, using WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO etc.. It can use any external music player too.

It can act as DNLA Server from this Library.

It binds in on-line music shops.

It uses MCE remote.

It does carry however a lot of code for Video etc. you do not need.

Album Player is purely music, ASIO, cheaper but in many areas not as refind. Still especially good as a pure player (ripping is not good, no DNLA Server etc. et al)

Media Portal is by the most flexible of the lot but installation is challenging.

Still MP is what I am using.

Others exits.

Ciao T

Hi,

With ever JRMC or Media Portal,
Do either have operation issues if the video parts are removed or disabled?

The video related code is there no matter what. I doubt it is running when you play music.

In Media Portal you can remove the Video menu items, but it really does not change much.

Ciao T

I used winamp, VLC and media monkey regularly.
Monkey crashed regularly, winamp t not enough options to show things my way, so after months and months of using third rate players I came back to foobar especially after they developed version 1...

I cannot think of an audio format foobar cannot decode...

I find that VLC can decode everything I've come across. the interface is basic, but it is reliable.

The best music player (iPod built-in alternative) for me is Panamp. It has basic iOS music player features, and it is outstanding by it's ability to make dynamic queues: quick mix of selected tracks
and power search that quickly and efficiently find the artict, album and tracks. Most compatible with iTunes collection.

It does carry however a lot of code for Video etc. you do not need.

Nope. Better be careful with those kind of statements. Sooner or later
many people will search for an integrated environment.

After digging into that video jungle for several hours/days I just have
to say that the video performance of JRMC can compete with the best
video players out there. It took me a while to figure out how to run it.
Now it works. Once you know how it works. It looks pretty simple to be honest.

Those JRMC guys have spent quite some time on integrating the popular and high quality "LAV" family (splitter, audio ) software and madVR renderer.
This stuff installs automatically. No search and manual install of outdated
or incompatible software ( the jungle) anymore. (That was causing me big trouble on my machine)

The designers of those freeware renderes/splitters/decoders are cooperating very closely with the JRMC team.

On top of that stuff I use coreavc. Currently I do have a stabil 1080p performance with the "red october" setting and a coreavc in place on my 330 Atom 1.6Ghz .

From what I read JRMC made great steps forward on that matter during the
first 6 month of this year.

I do recommend to download the latest JRMC builds, since they continously update (to improve) the video part in particular.

What's really missing is and iPad app reflecting "JRMC theatre view" as remote. I hope to see this soon.
If that becomes avialable I'll ditch my SB stuff right away.

Enjoy. I do. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

Nope. Better be careful with those kind of statements. Sooner or later many people will search for an integrated environment.

True, this was explicitly for Music only. Personalyy I am fully integrated of course myself.

Those JRMC guys have spent quite some time on integrating the popular and high quality "LAV" family (splitter, audio ) software and madVR renderer.

Latest versions of SAF (Stand Alone Filter) for Medi Portal also use LAV, but madVR is not supportable under media portal for now...

This stuff installs automatically. No search and manual install of outdated or incompatible software ( the jungle) anymore. (That was causing me big trouble on my machine)

Same for SAF/MP. I suspect SAF would also work well with JRMC.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.