Best Firstwatt amp for backloaded horns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How does this look for an initial BOM? This is just for stuff I plan to buy from digikey, so I left out C1, C8, and C10 so I can buy fancy audio caps from parts-express or something. I'm ordering LU1014's matched at 1.06 vds from Deep Surplus, so I chose 2 ohms for R5. I've already bought a toroidal transformer from Antek so I can cross that off my list too.

Attachments

• F3.pdf
    87.2 KB · Views: 212
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've used the F5 with my sachiko horns for a long time and it sounds really good. Its not that high a gain (good for your sensitivity) and is very versatile if you choose other speakers. Another option may be the DeLite?

Fran

Sounded great on Altec A-7s as well. why in the world would you think the F-5 wouldnt be great with horns? I cant think of a reason. I understand you dont need the extra section, but then your back to "it may be too similar to the 45 SE" deal, no?

russellc

I read some more f5 reviews, I think I might have written it off too soon because it's push pull. I read a few user reviews at 6moons and it sounds like it's very popular among SET lovers who want to play with transistors. I'm going to build the PSU and the transistors for both the f3 and f5 since they seem to be in short supply, and then decide at a later date.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
... to have as low distortion from the amp as possible and love to have a big bandwith.

Not knowing the F3 from own experience, but a lot of very fine tube amps.

The F5 is simply GREAT!

Franz

Agreed! Although its interesting reading about F-4 also, the version that make 100 watts into 8 ohms has my attention, I just cant get my head around the notion that it doesnt have any gain? Does it drive things (powerwise) like any other 100 watt amp? Interesting, this whole line up.:confused:

Russellc

Yes, but obviously you need a preamp with gain.
You could also think of it like a 3 stage amplifier with source-follower push pull output (eg BA 2), but instead of it being in one box you put it in two boxes the first two stages are in the first box and source follower stage is in the second box.

You can also get 100W into 8Ohms with F5. You just need to cascode the input and obviously increase the voltage.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, but obviously you need a preamp with gain.
You could also think of it like a 3 stage amplifier with source-follower push pull output (eg BA 2), but instead of it being in one box you put it in two boxes the first two stages are in the first box and source follower stage is in the second box.

You can also get 100W into 8Ohms with F5. You just need to cascode the input and obviously increase the voltage.

Interesting. I'll read the Pass article on it and return. A 100 watt f-5...Hm.m.m.

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.