best enclosure for fostex 208 sigma?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the 208 BIBs this weekend. Fantastic sounding folded pipe/horn, unfortunately they completely overload my limited listening space. I cannot believe the bass amount and quality that comes from these things. She who must be acknowledged has also decided they are abit ..."tall" for her aesthetic, in room.

If there are builders interested in a pair of Fe208, let me know. The AC ribbons are great.

dmason said:
I built the 208 BIBs this weekend. Fantastic sounding folded pipe/horn, unfortunately they completely overload my limited listening space. I cannot believe the bass amount and quality that comes from these things. She who must be acknowledged has also decided they are abit ..."tall" for her aesthetic, in room.

If I am not mistaken, you had an Open Baffle before BIB....

Now that you have built a BIB, which one would you choose? (or, which one She allowed?)

I know they are completely different beasts, but still...

dmason said:
.........unfortunately they completely overload my limited listening space.

Greets!

So either increase stuffing and/or 'gap' the driver away from the baffle as required to bleed off the excessive gain. Maybe if her fave music sounded better she'd be more tolerant of their size. Note too that females typically have much better HF hearing and I've found that getting the HF toned down with the > ~18 kHz severely rolled off to suit them goes along ways towards acceptance.

GM

i ve just finished mine

hi,
i ve just finished mine : the sound is very good, ample, and precise, and dynamic;
the low frequencies seem weak at the begining, compared with the tall & big enclosure they come from, but LF are present when needed (pianos sound wonderful)

the sound is "open" without the boom in low medium i was acustomed, and sound is balanced, without fatigue when listening for a while

very good design, and certainly easier wood working than the fostex recommended one

the only problem : i can't push the volume button further than 1 (out of 6) of my solide state amplifier

my advice = 2 critical factors of succes for this project
- be a single (no waf issue )
and
- the room has to be large

;-)
kind regards
dondiba

wich tweeter with 208 es?

hi,

after a while listening the 208es , a tweeter is definitely needed

the recommended (by fostex) tweet is t900A, very expensive
with 1 µF capacitor

some people use the t90A, half price but still expensive
with 0.68 µF

what about the : FT17H Horn Super Tweeter ? (wich is cheap )
recommended with fe207e and 1.5µF capacitor and "attenuator R80B"

regards
dondiba

dmason said:

If there are builders interested in a pair of Fe208, let me know. The AC ribbons are great.

Dmason,

So it seems that your BIB's are out and gone...

What drivers/enclosure are you using nowadays? I'm just interested to know which speakers worked well for you and her?

Regards,

Vix

I have the same drives and i bought bought the fostex design enclosure.
I was able to buy them from a seller on ebay for £150
ready built.

Wilmslow audio does cabinets for most of fostex range.
https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk...25_96?osCsid=d046ce107c859076bbdc5d007e4ee6ba
They are the cabinets that fostex designed for those drives.
You can buy them ready made if your not into woodworking
or you can buy them as a flat pack ready cut.

I warn you though that if you go the fostex design route
they are one hell of a big speaker and heavy as hell.
It takes two people to carry one of them.
So as wilmslow audio is based here in England delivery to France
will not be cheap.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
astro_realms said:
Wilmslow audio does cabinets for most of fostex range.

I also understand that if asked they will do these in BB ply instead of MDF for a not unreasonable surcharge.

It would be interesting to see if sufficeint inquiries would have them doing some of the Frugeal-Horn designs... the commercial licencing for any of those is by donation.

dave

I came across this company
who are based in canada
http://www.rawacoustics.com/index.php

They do not seem to do the fostex cabinets
but maybe they will do a flat kit for you.
They also may know of a company
in Canada who can do such a kit.
No harm in asking.

You can though get on the fostex site
the plans for the speakers
and they are childs play to build.
If you get the wood cut to size which
any wood yard should do.
It is simply then just a case of sticking
all the pieces together using glue.
You do not need be a expect in wood working.
I'm just painting mine at this moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.