Best electrolytic capacitors

HI anatech,
Hi Eric,
From what I see in the field, capacitors will last a long, long time (over 20 years) as long as they are not run hot. If you do run them hot, they can be toast in a couple years flat.
OK, the temperature is the first enemy.

I don't recommend running anything electronic all the time...
My audio equipments, and many other ones, offers best sounding after 24 hours of heating (48 hours is better). Difficult to switch ON one or two day before. Theses equipments are powered all the time.

Hi Eric,
From what I see in the field, capacitors will last a long, long time (over 20 years) as long as they are not run hot. If you do run them hot, they can be toast in a couple years flat.

I don't recommend running anything electronic all the time, with the exception of frequency standards and voltage standards. In these items, the power supply is both over designed and redundant with a spare standing by for a hot switchover. Obviously, home systems like furnace or air conditioning control PCBs are designed to run all the time, but our audio gear is not.

New capacitors will often finish forming their plates in the first couple hundred hours or less. No, they will not sound any different to your ears. You could probably measure some very low frequency effects, and you can measure changes in the actual part. I imagine it also depends on how long they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere too.

-Chris

I'd think what you see in the field are failed caps, otherwise, you wouldn't likely be seeing them in the field.

Their lifespan is calculable, if you abuse them, they may not even last as long as you guess, but then there is always infant mortality as well which can lead to erroneous premature conclusions served as facts.

If you can't trust your electronics

to run all the time without marked degredation, or having safety issues come into play, consider they should not be run at all.

The standards you mention are a matter of perspective, yours are not mine for example, and to tell people
they're overbuilt, perhaps as some standard that applies to anyone other than yourself, isn't so helpful to people.

New, and even used, electrolytic caps will reform in the first few seconds if they're healthy,

minutes at most. While it is an ever evolving process the worst is over very quickly. However, it is painfully audible, as are continued changes which can span minutes, to hours, to months, to perpetually shifting

like black gates, well beyond what forming alone can explain, save for perhaps the last example.

If you can't hear it, then you can't hear it, but it is not the absolute truth for everyone. Perhaps that is a harsh reality,

but otherwise it's too much like being a passenger along for the ride while the driver refuses his surroundings. I'd recommend you just stick with the panasonic FM as it will meet

your expectations.

You would think on a forum with so much traffic, there'd be more experts around to discuss such matters objectively and knowingly.

<snip>

but otherwise it's too much like being a passenger along for the ride while the driver refuses his surroundings. I'd recommend you just stick with the panasonic FM as it will meet your expectations.

You would think on a forum with so much traffic, there'd be more experts around to discuss such matters objectively and knowingly.

IMO that is an unecessary put-down. Besides which you are not looking for objective input but subjective impressions.

Hi impuls,
What kind of capacitors did you try?
The sound of a 100µF 35V is not the sound of a 100µF 50V. Increasing DF (dissipation factor) greatly improve sound rendering.

I agree. By study the parameter values in the datasheets regarded the ESR you will still note, that in most cases the lowest ESR value is by the voltage value either 63V or 100V. Both by lower voltage value and higher value the serial resistance rises up.
You will find even examples, that a device with 4700uF/100V has lower ESR (and better sound quality in a power amp voltage supply) than 10000uF/40V and approximately the same ESR than 10000uF/50V
What is the reason therefore in general?

My conclusion by electrolytic capacitor selecting for voltage supplies is now the lowest possible ESR instead the highest possible capacity value within a certainly size. So sometimes better to choose only half the capacity if there is critical space proportions.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The ESR parameter is important, but other important issue is the ripple current.

As said before if we need to replace some cap, will be better if space allows with more voltage (not necessary must be exactly +10%) the important thing is not change the capacitance value so you can replace with the maximum voltage value without any problem.

As general rule (speaking about good electrolytic caps) I disagree bypass them.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You will find even examples, that a device with 4700uF/100V has lower ESR (and better sound quality in a power amp voltage supply) than 10000uF/40V and approximately the same ESR than 10000uF/50V
What is the reason therefore in general?

I suppose than higher voltage caps needs thicks anode & cathode so better current ripple & lower ESR.

Devided Class

Maybe we must devided (Popular) electrolyt capacitor here into

Capacitor Signal
- Black Gate N
- Elna Silmic / II
- Nichicon KZ / FG
- Rubycon ZA / ZL
- Sanyo Oscon

Capacitor Supply
- Rifa PEH 169 / 200
- Siemens Sikorel
- Nichicon KG
- Elna for Audio

so we will hear another opinion from some member

my exp in electrolyt caps 100uf 50v bpa300 by alexw88,

BG N - looks natural
BG F - looks less energy
Silmic II - add a little bit bass
FG - you dont need subwoofer anymore
Panasonic - looks a little bit noisy

after all i fixed solder the FG caps there, just appetite

Maybe we must devided (Popular) electrolyt capacitor here into

Capacitor Signal
- Black Gate N
- Elna Silmic / II
- Nichicon KZ / FG
- Rubycon ZA / ZL
- Sanyo Oscon

Capacitor Supply
- Rifa PEH 169 / 200
- Siemens Sikorel
- Nichicon KG
- Elna for Audio

so we will hear another opinion from some member

my exp in electrolyt caps 100uf 50v bpa300 by alexw88,

BG N - looks natural
BG F - looks less energy
Silmic II - add a little bit bass
FG - you dont need subwoofer anymore
Panasonic - looks a little bit noisy

after all i fixed solder the FG caps there, just appetite
Nice, I would add the Elna Cerafine too!