best drum solo or recording?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jim Gordon (infamous for his playing on Derek and the Dominoes / Layla, and for murdering his mother), drummer on

Jump Into The Fire, sung by Harry Nilsson: (Youtube link)

drum solo at 3:58
:up: ... love that type of song, takes one on a real journey - so far from the modern "squeeze everything into it that you can possibly think of, so the listeners won't get bored!!" dribble ...

I have Jim Gordon in a category with Aynsley Dunbar; I don't know that either has played on a truly bad album.

Should "Gazeuze" be the album and "Percolations, Pts 1 & 2" be the song? Pierre Moerlien is a virtuoso but definitely on the obscure side.

Last edited:
I love recordings where the energy and timing of the drummer absolutely drives the song forward, seemingly at a ferocious rate; it's not actually faster but there is a sense of relentlessness about the rhythm which sucks you in - lots of PRaT IOW, ;).

And in that vein I was reminded of the Chubby Checker version of The Hucklebuck, have absolutely no idea who the drummer was - and he does nothing special in the way of a solo - but the sense of urgency conveyed by the drumming is magic; everytime I hear it it gets me bouncing around ... this is the one of the real pleasures of recorded sound, to be able to tap that energy at any time ...

Edit: Couldn't let it go, had to find out who the man was, and it makes sense - Ellis Tollin, a very significant personality in the drumming world at the time, and to quote from a drumming site: "He was also funny, warm, quick witted, sharp as a tack, and very opinionated on topics near and dear to his heart." And that's exactly how the drumming comes across ...

Last edited:
"Best"? - always a loaded subjective question, but while listening to my recently completed DIY audio store ACA kit, I quite enjoyed Mark Walker's work on "Nardis" - Patricia Barber, Cafe Blue

A little subtlety can go a log way in any solo - for example Michael Arnopol's tasty double bass solo intro on "Use Me" - Patricia Barber again - Companion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.