Best Compression Drivers today 2022?

I believe this is in perfect harmony with reality.

In my compression driver design I made sure to keep everything at horn theory both in the compression chamber, in the actual phase plug and in the exit of the driver. In a horn, we can not expect that to be possible due to the dimensions of the horn, and the fact that a horn has to be finite. But we can strive to keep it low.
Gotcha, makes sense. Thx

Reactions: 1 user
Please note that what I was describing was not Tractrix all the way out to the roundover. The main part should not be Tractrix, nor JMLC, if you want to avoid significant beaming. I think this is illustrated well numerous times in the ATH thread.
Okay, that makes sense. I am familiar with the ATH thread.
Not sure if you are pointing towards the actual phase plug patents or the foam plug. However, I do not find any of these patents useful. It looks to me like trying to fix a problem without actually fixing it. When you pressurize a horn via a dome, through an annular phase plug with multiple slits, and both the dome and the exit diameter are larger than a quarter og a wavelength, there is no way we can fully remove HOM just by altering the phase plug. The foam plug only act as a brake. Having a taller profile in the centre, it flattens the wave front slightly, but it does not actually resolve the issue with pressure differences as the brake is isotropic.

I was pointing to the phase plug patent, US 2006/0034475 A1:
The present invention is a compression driver phase plug of the concentric annulus channel variety Which has the locations and the Width of the inlet of these channels speci?ed in such a Way so as to create a Wavefront in the exit aperture of this phase plug that has a prescribed amplitude and phase of the velocity in this surface.

Why the premise that HOM has nothing to do with compression drivers when we know their design is often the leading cause, and this even follows form diaphragm material and shape, phase plug design and exit of the driver? Of we select two parameters that are the most important in driver design, I would say:

Diaphragm-phase plug mixed phase behavior.
Diaphragm-phase plug-exit complex wavefront shape.

It should not even be controversial as the reason why compression drivers even exist is to attempt to solve these two issues.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Been mulling my newfound understanding that HOMs are not a property of a conical horn alone...
In a sense they are a property of the horn, since the diffraction which constitutes a HOM is based on a change. Therefore you can't define it with a cross sectional snapshot on it's own (such as the starting wavefront shape), but have to contrast different parts of the horn to do it. (This of course doesn't mean the discussion of feeding a waveguide the appropriate wavefront shape isn't important, but it's another thing.)

***Please, would someone consider starting another thread on HOMs since this one has gone off topic. It would give us a place to move further off topic posts.
can we return to the original thead , HOMS guys please open a new one ;)

Obviously because no one has either been able to explain (with good verification) an audible difference attributed to any particular compression driver relating to HOM’s or provided any objective data on a particular driver as it specifically relates to HOM’s.

-yes, particular driver: as in a driver you would want to recommend on this thread.

..read the thread’s purpose as “Best Compression Drivers” - you know: specific drivers you think are better. It’s not a difficult concept and there are numerous examples in this thread.

As for HOM’s:

Do a google search on HOM’s and DIYAudio and you should pull-up quite a few listings..

ex.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6180873

..btw, it’s not just the introduction of HOM’s, the thread started veering off-topic when people started (heavily) discussing horn’s/waveguides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
10/10 depth for the B&C - that’s the best rating I’ve seen for his subjective opinion on depth. Wonder what the TAD 4003 will be (not that you can get them anymore)?
As per his post here, Lynn Olson agreed with Troy's suggested DCM50/AH340 combination https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/beyond-the-ariel.100392/page-767 Of course, I'm very tempted to do the same above my sealed Altec 416-8Bs, given the anticipated sound stage, tonality, et al. Perhaps all of those performance perks Troy found during listening sessions would be worth the possible less than satisfactory HF response extension with that combination.

Contrast that with Pierre' very different system; posts #15,266, 15, 276. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/beyond-the-ariel.100392/page-764 Of course, Troy never reviewed those older and perhaps not especially popular Radian Be drivers. https://www.usspeaker.com/radian 745neoBepb-1.htm

But when properly equalized (as Pierre obviously succeeded in doing), how much different might be the performance of that Radian Be compared to this driver, when used in the most compatible horn? https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/18sound-nd1480be-beryllium-1-40-compression-driver-test-review