Best audio magazines / writers?

ASR, Erin's audio corner and Audioholics and a few that post real measurements are most trustable, but all are biased, even ASR in their describtions. And we are also all biased in our choices. But measurements that are done right (like those i mention) at least give some objective information in their measurements that you can match to your own biased preference. Stereophonic also does measurements, but they are low resolution and not done that wel done so not really trustable.

After not subscribing to any audio magazine since the demise of SOUND PRACTICES - STEREOPHILE made me an offer I could not refuse so I thought I would give it a try. something to read in the bathroom ...

I always enjoyed (and still do ) Reichert's articles in SOUND PRACTICES and even though he is a very different writer for STEREOPHILE I think he tries very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff an I like the way he does not try to give components a pecking order since there are so many good products out there. He is an honest man though I think his viewpoints are stifled by his tiny listening room.

I used to find, what little I saw of them, Fremer's writings to border on the obnoxious but now either he or I has changed and even though he mostly confines himself to absurd products I enjoy reading about true assaults on the art - like the turntable reviews he has written recently. The two most recent are very serious efforts with real engineering behind them. Fremer does try to get to the heart of what makes the product unique. I do think the DarTzeel amplifier is an inside joke but that is just me. I think Fremer needs to become more acquainted with sensitive loudspeaker and low powered amplifiers (not no power amplifiers like 2A3 and 300Bs but the SIT amplifiers being built at THE PASS FORUM).

His recent articles on the electricity entering his house was outstanding and truly brave. How many reviews would let it be known they had such problems and that their reviews were somewhat inaccurate due to this? I was impressed and wish I could do the same for my abode,

Atkinson's measurements I trust as honest and anyone who named Procol Harem's LIVE WITH THE EDMONTON SYMPHONY as one of his dearest recordings is a good man in my most unhumble opinion. He is not afraid to say B&W's speakers are not that wonderful and for a Brit that is almost heresy. But then the only B&W speakers I liked were the electrostatic ones from long ago

Most of the other writers tend to include personal reminisces that I find uninteresting or some kind of name dropping exercise. I have no idea who they are nor do I want to know.

The magazine could become something quite interesting if they took an interest in the DIY folks but that will never happen! That is what made SOUND PRACTICES so much fun.

I do wish they had more music reviews but when they name a BLACK SABBATH album as the recording of the month maybe it is best they not bother.

If you get the subscription at the ridiculous price the only problem I can see is having to throw it away when you are done with it. I do remember when one never threw away an ABSOLUTE SOUND or STEREOPHILE but then that might have something to do with my age at the time. And they did not come every month. In fact you never knew when they were going to arrive.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But then the only B&W speakers I liked were the electrostatic ones from long ago

I still remember when we unboxed one of the first pair in Canada. A bit to unconvential for most. The also had the dipole/monopole issue that adding a boxed woofer to an ESL brings.

a_B_W_DM70_pic02.jpg

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What Hifi has only ever had any value if you like reading subjective prose. I'm sure their reviews, at least of loudspeakers, weed out the really awful from the really good products, but the fact that the 2021 recommended speakers didn't include anything from KEF is a bit suspect to me. Most of KEFs designs run rings around a lot of the competition but maybe KEF hadn't released anything interesting in 2021 and, after all, people want different products to be recommended in different years.

I'm all for subjective reviews, as they can be entertaining, unless the reviewer takes himself too seriously and starts to believe in snake oil, but think they only truly serve their purpose when accompanied by a suite of objective measurements.

Years ago I used to enjoy reading Hi-fi News but, latterly, found myself simply going to the measurements instead of reading the subjective stuff so I didn't renew my subscription. Still some of the reviewers had a sense of humour, and that I enjoyed, but the more you get into building your own stuff the less you care about any of that.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Suggesting What Hi Fi's value is in promoting predominantly UK products to predominantly UK readers greatly limits its utility everywhere else. Since I'm not in the UK...
And it's pretty much the same for Stereophile and TAS if you live in UK. If What Hi Fi called themselves 'audio international' I could see your point....

@5th element for me HFN/RR went downhill when John Crabbe retired. I just wish I had appreciated his writings more as a teenager.

Here in Germany there are two speaker building magazines worth recommending: Klang & Ton and Hobby Hifi. I'm actually amazed they still manage to survive. They are pretty dedicated to passive speakers. though. I'd like to read about some DIY options for streamers, active speakers or amps every now and then. Sometimes those can be found in Elektor.

Last edited:
Here in Germany there are two speaker building magazines worth recommending: Klang & Ton and Hobby Hifi. I'm actually amazed they still manage to survive. They are pretty dedicated to passive speakers. though. I'd like to read about some DIY options for streamers, active speakers or amps every now and then. Sometimes those can be found in Elektor.
Good magazines. But I recommend to study the elektor books mentioned in post #5 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...dspeaker-like-speakerbuilder-overview.174497/
- one of this books is available for free as PDF file

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Klang & Ton and Hobby Hifi
Current Hobby Hifi Editor Bernd Timmermanns was the founder of K&T in the 90ies or late 80ies, as far as I remember. There has been a split up some day which I don't know much of.
Klang&Ton has since then turned more into a presentation of industry loudspeaker-kits without too much technical background.
I do like Hobby Hifi with it's in-depth technical explanations very much, but agree to those who think the measurement methods should be updated after 30 years (only on-axis and 30° FR, for example).

The German magazines have been said to be more honest than most others. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/es9038q2m-board.314935/page-213#post-5756265 ...Post #4,248

EDIT: Regarding claims of bribes in exchange for good reviews, that's not how I hear it works in the US. However, it does help to advertise in magazines; that is true. IIRC a full page ad in Stereophile was said to go for possibly $100k. A regular advertiser is more likely to get a product reviewed as opposed to having a product ignored. Of course, that sort of thing applies to all sorts of areas of consumer marketing. There is a website that archives TV commercials, including how much money was spent running them in different geographic areas. Easy to spend $10M running a 30-second commercial a now and then over a month's time. https://www.ispot.tv/
A bit late I know. :)

The numbers for advertising costs are way lower indeed; last time I looked, it was (according to their media kit from October 2022) roughly 19k for the most expensive placement at cover4. 1/1 inside at 8k. These are list prices for one-time ads, multiples get generous discounts per ad. There is usually some more room for negotiations depending on additional variables. The numbers are more or less what one would expect considering Stereophile's reported circulation of 70k.

Otherwise, I agree, you don't buy rave reviews but advertising gets you much easier into the reviews, especially in the long run. I think the level of honesty is mainly the same among respectable/professional publications; occasional scandals happened everywhere over the years, which is a good sign.

Cory Greenberg was among the most entertaining writers (I have a faint memory that there was a hint of a scandal around his departure too, but maybe I'm wrong), and Sam Tellig was as well. The same holds true for the german Juergen Egger (RIP) although I seldom shared his views.
I liked Gordon Holt (RIP) and

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The best way to know if one is worth reading is to listen to some components they have reviewed to understand their way of seeing it. If you don't agree, at least you get references between their way of seeing it and yours. Once calibrated, you don't need to believe. You know.