• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B SE OPT?

Hi everyone, just thought I would mention further comments regarding the monolith and muse coil transformers. First and foremost, the specs for the monolith were 5K primary : 8 ohm. The Muse Coil OPTs are 9K : 8ohm. So, different specs = optimized for different tubes and circuits. Therefore comparing apples to apples is difficult.

All said, I have owned PT, IT, Chokes and OPTs from monolith. Same for Muse Coils. I have mixed and matched in the same amp. Now, my next comments are very dependent upon your circuit, tubes, over-all system and listening preferences. So, if you need to add some top end air and sparkle, the Monolith nano SX-11 is really good. Whereas the Muse Coil is more lifelike, realistic and earthy. Imagine a peaty single malt (muse coil) compared to a Russian vodka (Monolith). One is heavy, earthy and warms the soul. The Muse Coil products are voiced (yes, all products have a voice and don't let anyone tell you differently) to be very realistic, rich, full bodied, extended (both top and bottom). I listen primary to violin and cello. Muse Coils work great with my setup. YMMV. Monolith also does a great job, but a different approach. Monolith is not as full bodied compared to the Muse. If you system needs more top end sparkle, then get Monolith.

My current monoblocks use Muse Coil PT, Chokes and OPT. I also use a Finemet input transformer.

I have for sale a pair of monolith filament transformers (6 secondaries each) if anyone is interested.

Also, I have a pair of PT, 4 chokes from Muse Coil that I am not using, as my current amps are SPUDs.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either Monolith or Muse Coils. I happen to like Muse better in my system and my ears and my musical tastes. YMMV.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, just thought I would mention further comments regarding the monolith and muse coil transformers. First and foremost, the specs for the monolith were 5K primary : 8 ohm. The Muse Coil OPTs are 9K : 8ohm. So, different specs = optimized for different tubes and circuits. Therefore comparing apples to apples is difficult.

All said, I have owned PT, IT, Chokes and OPTs from monolith. Same for Muse Coils. I have mixed and matched in the same amp. Now, my next comments are very dependent upon your circuit, tubes, over-all system and listening preferences. So, if you need to add some top end air and sparkle, the Monolith nano SX-11 is really good. Whereas the Muse Coil is more lifelike, realistic and earthy. Imagine a peaty single malt (muse coil) compared to a Russian vodka (Monolith). One is heavy, earthy and warms the soul. The Muse Coil products are voiced (yes, all products have a voice and don't let anyone tell you differently) to be very realistic, rich, full bodied, extended (both top and bottom). I listen primary to violin and cello. Muse Coils work great with my setup. YMMV. Monolith also does a great job, but a different approach. Monolith is not as full bodied compared to the Muse. If you system needs more top end sparkle, then get Monolith.

My current monoblocks use Muse Coil PT, Chokes and OPT. I also use a Finemet input transformer.

I have for sale a pair of monolith filament transformers (6 secondaries each) if anyone is interested.

Also, I have a pair of PT, 4 chokes from Muse Coil that I am not using, as my current amps are SPUDs.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either Monolith or Muse Coils. I happen to like Muse better in my system and my ears and my musical tastes. YMMV.

Is it the Spud with the 35 from the other thread?

As @banpuku noted, the MinotauR has its specific signature and I deliberately designed it with such signature. I aimed for a feeling of dark background, holographic feeling, with a lot of thickness in tonality and involvement, including separation between similar tones, such as tracks with multiple voices, such as choirs. However, audio is subjective and one component cannot satisfy everyone's tastes. Compared with other brands, their tonality are closest to Tamuras. For those who prefer a more analytical, precise sound, I'd recommend Monolith or even Lundahls.
There is a customer who preferred the Monolith signature compared to the MinotauR. He's active on DIYaudio, I'd value his feedback on this topic.

P.S. I could develop brighter sounding, analytical series as well, but judging by the fact there are already such products on the market, there is probably no need to do so.
P.S.2. Sometimes, great results happen when transformers from different brands are mixed. For example, DHTRob sometimes mixes Tamura as input transformers, Tribute nanocrystalline autoformers, Monolith and Muse Coils to bring an interesting, balanced result.

Reactions: 5 users
The spud is an EML 30A. 866 rectifiers. The spud is very transparent, rich and full bodied. Only 4W output, so not for everyone. But in my smallish room and 90db efficient speakers, its quite nice on classical music. I rarely max out the amps.
Not to hijack the thread but do you have any info on your amp? I'm especially interested in the 866 rectifier implementation.
TIA

Hope this helps for the 866 implementation. Forget the 800V. I am using 400V with my EML 30A.

Attachments

• ss 15.png
    ss 15.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 user