Benchmark has a NEW power amp.The best ?

That's a tell-tale sign. Rather than just avoiding/ignoring people who talk about amp sound, you get annoyed by them?

Y-E-S

Well you did invite correction so yes, you are wrong. People do indeed hear amps through speakers. Speakers distort for sure (but that's largely inaudible being low order), but amps add noise. So when a person hears an amp they in general hear what its power supply is adding to the original input. That's assuming the amp's low-level IMD isn't intrusive, which it is on some less-well-engineered devices.

The faults of a loudspeaker, be it linear distortion, IMD, or whatever, are at least an order of magnitude worse than just about any amp. 1% distortion? Hey this is just your average loudspeaker midrange. 10% distortion! Yes, that is the woofer playing just now, trying to reproduce some loud passage.

While I have to admit that you are hearing the sum of the faults of the reproduction chain (and the recording chain while we are at it), the loudspeaker is dominating the conversation so to speak.

Only after getting very familiar with a loudspeaker in a controlled environment, and then making a change to the system done via double blind A-B testing can you really probe for a difference between a source or amp in an unbiased manner.

I'm not saying that every amp sounds identical, only that you can not expect to pick it up by dropping by a demo room at a trade show.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but you are perhaps hearing A LOUDSPEAKER connected to the amp? AND how many times do we hear that such and such loudspeaker sounded like CRAP at the big ol audio show (CES, RMAF, etc., etc.). held in a hotel room...

So, did anyone hear the amp? NO!
In fact, once you become sensitive to the typical, audible misbehaviour of normal amplifiers it becomes quite straightforward to listen for, and hear those characteristics - very distinct from speaker problems.

Now isn't that interesting ... my experience is that as the electronics improve, the more widely differing speakers start to sound the same - because they no longer emphasise the now less extreme deficiences earlier in the chain, in their own particular ways. The fact that bass, for example, falls apart in speakers is that the amplifier has hit the bump stops, and the sound quality is dragged way down ...

Suggest go talk to your therapist about that then :D

The faults of a loudspeaker, be it linear distortion, IMD, or whatever, are at least an order of magnitude worse than just about any amp.

Linear distortion (FR) yep, THD yep, IMD, no. Go over to David Greisinger's web page and educate yourself.

1% distortion? Hey this is just your average loudspeaker midrange. 10% distortion! Yes, that is the woofer playing just now, trying to reproduce some loud passage.

Sure, but those are the large signal distortions which aren't happening most of the time. The crest factor of music is what you seem to be missing.

While I have to admit that you are hearing the sum of the faults of the reproduction chain (and the recording chain while we are at it), the loudspeaker is dominating the conversation so to speak.

So you claim but in terms of the low hanging fruit which affect audibility, not so much. Other than resonances and non-flat FR which I concede are major issues for speakers.

Only after getting very familiar with a loudspeaker in a controlled environment, and then making a change to the system done via double blind A-B testing can you really probe for a difference between a source or amp in an unbiased manner.

Its a claim for sure. If you're putting it forward as a hypothesis, how are you going to test it?

I'm not saying that every amp sounds identical, only that you can not expect to pick it up by dropping by a demo room at a trade show.

Don't disagree there - more rigour is required than merely dropping by. Shows are particularly poor coz normally they won't allow you to play your own music and other components in the chain are likely to be unfamiliar. Not to mention the cross-feed from other rooms and general chit-chat.

Now isn't that interesting ... my experience is that as the electronics improve, the more widely differing speakers start to sound the same -

+1 with one major caveat. For example my B&W CM1s are now unlistenable for colouration with my vastly improved electronics. I rather suspect that I didn't notice their colouration before because the electronics I was using (soundcard in PC, Foobar active XO, un-modded integrated amps) was adding so much cr*p :D

Interesting ... I note from here, SoundStage! Measurements - B&W CM1 Loudspeakers (5/2007), probably the worst sensitivity number I've seen for a long time, 81dB, and quite a bit worse in the critical midrange. This means that the speaker is demanding quite substantial voltage swings from the amp for normal volumes; that huge hole in the midrange further adding to the 'damage'.

Personally, I would dive inside the speakers, check for silly weaknesses, then create a test track equalised to match the FR, and play at various volumes - to see if the stress on the electronics was still pulling the sound down, in spite of the improvements made to date.

I think I looked at those curves too shortly after I bought them. And one reason I went active was seeing that huge suck-out. Another was flabby bass. But the colouration remains even without the passive XO. I rather suspect one big reason for the mid-range hole could be the single (but huge) inductor used for the bass/mid XO. Its wound with very thick wire to get low enough DCR but I think they should've used Litz because the losses shoot up above 1kHz.

I hadn't noticed the ****--poor efficiency before, good point that it'll show up amp weaknesses to a greater degree.

Now isn't that interesting ... my experience is that as the electronics improve, the more widely differing speakers start to sound the same

The resulting sound is the synergy between amplifier and speaker, so with a few exceptions, the better the amplifier the better also it handles or matches with varying speakers. The result is then no matter what the speaker, the sound will be good (but not the same!).

Same with speakers. With few exceptions, the better the speaker the better also it can handle or match with amplifiers. The result is then no matter what the amplifier, the sound will always be good (but not the same either).

Amplifier design is relatively more advanced than speaker design. We don't need expensive part to design a good amplifier.

Speaker is different. The best speaker requires best parts. Light and stiff cones requires expensive parts such as diamond, strong magnet requires special material also. And after best drivers, what is needed is designer's expertise, where designing good speakers is not as straight forward as designing good amplifiers.

I have built many amps, but I prefer to listen to my best speaker with generic chip amp than to listen to best amp with generic speaker.

At lower level, amp is probably more critical but at higher level, the speaker is what limit your system performance.

Chip amps like gainclones and TDA2030 (plain 2030 will have issue with bass section of a 3-way speaker) are acceptable to me, BUT ONLY with premium parts in feedback (I use Sanyo Oscon). Also may be good caps and overrated transformer.

Using cheap chip amps such as the TDA2030 (and even the 3W LA4270) with good speaker and listening to the result really opened my eyes. I know what a speaker can do.

Will you go and pay ticket to listen to live music? You will because you want the enjoyment. Now be honest, will you pay to listen to your system at home? A good sytem will ALWAYS give you music. It is really amazing.

Good points, Jay. Though I will do a reverse on the quality/OK amp, quality/OK speaker combo - the better amplifier will do so much more in bringing the music to life, with the OK version I will constantly hear its limitations contaminating the playback, it would irritate me intensely.

The one proviso is that the OK speaker would always have to be warmed up first, before "serious" listening - they usually sound quite 'dead' before the suspension, etc, reaches optimum working state, from being given a solid workout ...

Since this thread is specifically about the new Benchmark amp, I'd like to test a thypothesis I have here. That is that this amp's brief was engineering led, rather than customer led.

I'd like to know which customers have been asking for lower crossover distortion and what they heard in prior technology amps which led them to think that their sonic deficiencies would be solved if only they could get an amp with lower crossover distortion. Anyone got any input on this?

That's a tell-tale sign. Rather than just avoiding/ignoring people who talk about amp sound, you get annoyed by them?

Well you did invite correction so yes, you are wrong. People do indeed hear amps through speakers. Speakers distort for sure (but that's largely inaudible being low order), but amps add noise. So when a person hears an amp they in general hear what its power supply is adding to the original input. That's assuming the amp's low-level IMD isn't intrusive, which it is on some less-well-engineered devices.

10-20% THD in a speaker is clearly audible and yet most people like yourself choose to ignore or rationalize it simply because you can't do anything about it.

Since this thread is specifically about the new Benchmark amp, I'd like to test a thypothesis I have here. That is that this amp's brief was engineering led, rather than customer led.

I'd like to know which customers have been asking for lower crossover distortion and what they heard in prior technology amps which led them to think that their sonic deficiencies would be solved if only they could get an amp with lower crossover distortion. Anyone got any input on this?

well you could always make up a new distortion that apparently can't be measured and then use a straw man fallacy to argue your point !!

This is John Siau, VP and chief engineer at Benchmark

The THX patents are:

The patented topology uses feed-forward error correction to virtually eliminate crossover distortion. The technique is so effective that the output stage can be run in class-B operation while achieving very low distortion. This also allows class-H or class-G tracking rails without the usual distortion problems associated with these designs. THX has demonstrated a design that rivals the efficiency of class D amplifiers.

The THX topology was interesting to Benchmark for an entirely different reason:

The same feed forward error correction can be used to remove crossover distortion from a class-B amplifier can be used with class AB biasing to create an amplifier with extraordinarily low distortion.

Our goal was to achieve very low distortion, with a focus on low crossover distortion. We were willing to increase the power dissipation as much as necessary to optimize the distortion performance. The optimum solution uses some bias current, but much less than a traditional class AB. Distortion of the AHB2 is at the measurement limits of our AP 2722 and 2522 test stations.

The THX topology also allowed us to utilize two power supply rails in a class-H (or G) configuration without any measureable distortion penalty.

The AHB2 is significantly more efficient than a traditional class AB, and has much lower distortion. Power consumption is only 20W idle. A traditional class-AB of equivalent power would consume 100 to 120 W idle. For example, the similarly sized Bryston 3B consumes 120W idle.

Benchmark chose to build the amplifier with very low gain. Gain is only 9 dB instead of the more typical 20 to 30 dB gain found in most power amplifiers. This means that the AHB2 clips with a 22 dBu input instead of an 8.2 dBu (2 V RMS) input. The AHB2 is designed to accept studio-level input levels and this can significantly improve noise performance between connected devices. In my opinion, most power amplifiers have far too much gain.

Our design goals included a 130 dB SNR relative to maximum output. To achieve this performance we used very low impedances, and some very unique PCB layout techniques. We also chose to use a switching power supply so that we could eliminate 60 Hz magnetic components. The magnetic fields produced by a high frequency switching supply are much lower and are out-of-band.

We also chose a tightly regulated power supply. Most power amps use unregulated supplies because this is the most efficient use of resources if switching supplies are not used. Given switching supplies, tight regulation comes almost for free. Better yet, the power supply control loop can be made fast enough to react to all audio frequencies. The AHB2 does not rely on secondary capacitive storage.

We will be posting performance plots and measurements on our website soon.

This looks like the current dumping output stage used in the Quad 405 power amp. There were countless debates about it in Wireless World but the biggest problem was that to perfectly balance the bridge required a certain output impedance usually an 8 ohm resistor which is not practical. How does your design maintain load invariance ?

Last edited:
This looks like the current dumping output stage used in the Quad 405 power amp. There were countless debates about it in Wireless World but the biggest problem was that to perfectly balance the bridge required a certain output impedance usually an 8 ohm resistor which is not practical. How does your design maintain load invariance ?

We have solved this problem, and the bridge balance does not change with loading.

Because sorting out low bass distortion is a totally different exercise from what needs to be done with midrange and treble. This is all about getting truly capable subwoofer drivers, usually costing a pretty penny, and mounting them into exactly the right enclosures, with great expertise. Most integrated speakers do low bass badly, it's full of false bass, the distortion overtones dominate the subjectively perceived bass quality - very few can deliver the real thing ...