Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

It's not a complete bogus; 15mW on a very sensible driver is listenable. I'm not for direct coupling a driver but to extract just enough power from outputs at tolerable distorsions level.

DCX Outputs specification says +22dBu/160 ohm, it means 7Vef/160ohm. The max power delivered is 300mW (on a 160ohm load). This is maximum maximorum. I prefer to extract just 100mW as a 1k resistive load.

I have a feeling that specification is for single ended. For a balanced load I suspect a double excursion, like 14Vef/320 ohm. It means double max power capability (600mW).

In fact, many "professional" headphone amplifiers use 4580's in final stage and support about 50 ohm load.

Running pink noise at a listenable level I've find that my drivers (midbass/mid/hi) are using less than 5mW each(less than 200mV@8ohm). So, less than 15mW per side, or less than 30mW total power.

I've already made a request for 6 trafos and I will try what is best from the following two scenarios:

1. trafos between DCX and drivers, no poweramps at all
-pros: no more ground-loops, simplicity
-cons: maybe not enough power on some passages

2. trafos between power amplifiers and drivers
-pros: poweramps running at decent voltage levels
-cons: trafos can be saturated on some passages

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DorinD said:
Running pink noise at a listenable level I've find that my drivers (midbass/mid/hi) are using less than 5mW each(less than 200mV@8ohm). So, less than 15mW per side, or less than 30mW total power.

I've already made a request for 6 trafos and I will try what is best from the following two scenarios:

200mV@8ohms is 25mA which I think is a tall order for the DCX outputs, but you can try it.

jd

DorinD said:

Very interesting approach DorinD !
I'll follow your work, thinking to use Beyma CP21F tweeters with scenario 1. As they are rated 105Db, it seems to be Ok in this configuration. http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/CP21FE.pdf
Nice to read your opinion and trafos refs you're using.
Regards

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For scenario 2, one option is not to use actual poweramps to drive the trafos but opamps that can deliver larger current. There are excellent opamps available that can easily deliver 100+mA signal with very high linearity, driving like 100 ohms at 10V RMS. This could be used in your idea with suitable transformers between the opamps and speaker drivers. A very exciting alternative!

jd

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Modified DCX in London?

Hi guys -
Got a favor to ask. Are there any modified DCX owners in London who can help out a mate? My buddy Marcus has a pair of Tannoy Gold monitors that he is trying to get working with the DCX. But he has only the stock DCX, and he's not happy with it. (no surprise)

So is there someone in London who might be generous enough to haul his lovely modified DCX over to Marcus' place and let him hear it on the Tannoys? I'd love for him to hear the difference and the full potential of the DCX. Modded it can be very good indeed, as we all know. I think that the Tannoys could really shine with a modded DCX.

Anyone with a spirit of adventure? Willing to help out a fellow Hi-Fi nut? I would be a really great thing to do.

You can contact me here, I'll put you in touch with Marcus.
( This will was also cross-posted over on the Yahoo group. Looking for some help. :D )

Thanks a lot guys!

Hi,

I have a modified dcx with linear analog output supply and passive output. The passive output is unfiltered as I use 4 S&B 102 transformer volume controls for highs and mids and an active low pass with baffle step correction and stepped attenuator for the lows.

If the Tannoys are just two ways (as I think) I would not mind lugging my dcx over, but your friend will be listening to both the dcx and the TVCs (no dc protection nor filter at the dac output otherwise). I am in the US until the end of August and back in London afterwards.

If all this is not a hindrance and your friend lives within reasonable distance (I live in N1) I am available.

Feel free to PM me.

regards,
giulio

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool beans guys! The TVC rig could be just the ticket.
Yes, the Tannoy is a 2-way coax.

I've been trying to help long distance for a year. It's pretty darn hard! Any local help will be wonderful. Thanks.

Andrew, I'll see what I can come up with from the link you posted. I've been trying to imitate or improve on the passive Tannoy x-over without hearing it. Madness, I know...

Last edited: