Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
klykx said:
...does this mean that the same problem will occur in you modified DCX Jan?

My mod doesn't touch the DSP part, only the output signals from the DACs (and the analog input to the ADC for level control on anlog input A & B). If you had the problem before, it will not magically disappear. On the other hand, if you don't have it, it will not appear with the mod.

Jan Didden

Trying to put together this outputboard for DCX,after soldering C1 I started to wonder why only a cap for one Ic when theres holes exactly
the same at the other 5 Ic´s.Is this correct with only one (C1)?:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And whats the 5 opams for?The first 3 I know must be for the input,are the 2 others for analog output?
Would be nice with a schema for this one..
Wery thin pcb tracks..

janneman said:
Funny indeed. My symptom was the same, extreme hf roll-off and a 'dull' sound. I theoritized (sp?) that the 8420 problem caused a corruption of the data samples that somehow deleted the hf components. May be nonsense...

Jan Didden

Hi all,

Read this :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And how we solved the problem : http://www.dcx2496.fr/upsamp.php

Cheers

Thierry Martin

hi guys!
unfortunatly i have no time to re-read all of this crazy thread !!! so i'd like a quick point out if possible

Has anyone succeeded in getting digital outputs from this nice piece of hardware?

simple ? worth it ?
any how-to ?

i'd be seriously glad to be able to use a few of those
as my digi-Xovers for my next HT setup ,
and still be able to use higher quality dacs!
( if worth it .. )

Hi JinMTVT,
With a modified DCX, there's no need for external DAC's - IMHO the AKM is more than adequate, unless you plan to use a NOS DAC, which is a different approach.

The digital out mod consists of bypassing all the DAC's and output circuits, and installing Digital transmitters to each DAC inputs - lots of SMD soldering.

ok thanks for the info

i am not afraid of soldering, but it has to be worth it...
i am currently running a RAKK DAC + some custom stuff and passive output trannies

i have yet to come across a dac that gives the same transparence ...

thing is that, i will need alot of channels ...

and i do not even know yet how i could split all the signals ... will need to run 3-4 DCX for my HT setup

1 for subs and rear
1 for sides
1 for front ... maybe 3 would cut it ...
( 1 additional if i decide on 2 rears... )

all main loudspeakers will be 2 ways

Is there any easy mods to the DAC section of the DCX that will augment its DA quality ?
power supply section ? ( easy and comon sens mods ..)

i think i'll buy 1 right away to test it and compare VS my RAKK DAC setup , and it'll let me familiarize myself with the unit for further tweaking!

If i understood correctly, by using a DCX to set crossovers and delays, splitting the signals for multi-amping ...there will be no problems associated with phase and regular mecanic Xovers ??

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
JinMTVT said:
perfect!
wich mod gives the greatest change in output quality?
this comes in kinda pricy if you do them all and have 3-4 DCX to do it on!!!
:)

Hi,

If you want to keep the analog output, with HT, you may want to have a remote control option that also lets you adjust relative levels of the low, mid, hi channels. After all, you power amps on those channels and the various speaker drivers probably have different sensitivities and efficiencies. You don't want to use the DCX digital level control as that cuts into your resolution.

That was the exact problem I had to solve and for which I developed my remote controlled active output mod kit. It is described here:

http://www.linearaudio.nl/6chan-1.htm

There are some user experiences with this mod kit on the DCX2496 yahoo user group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DCX2496/messages?o=1 , pretty positive.

Jan Didden

Will said:
Hmmm I wonder how many users have actually purchased Jan's kit; I mean this kit is not that cheap, it's the price of a single DCX already.

cheers.

Maybe it is not cheap, but it is necessary. I do not know any other solution that will be less than Jan's kit with all the features. Without modification, you are better off running passive set up, that will most likely sound better than stock unit. Not to mention volume control for 6 balanced channels. :bigeyes: