Beginning of some DIY speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, your eyes are fine, this is a same-day update...One Xover done...several sticks of hot glue and a couple zip ties later. Will start on second one tonight.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Brendan

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
That's quite a compact design so I wouldn't expect too much volume. Once in the enclosure you'll notice the low end increases the most but the baffle will provide 1/2 space loading from a certain frequency up and you'll get gains here too.

So short answer is yes it will be louder with more bass.

UPDATE!!!!

April 10, 2008
-Finally finished both Xovers, they are guaranteed no to fall off...REMINDER TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BUILD XOVERS, DO NOT DO WHAT I DID AND ROUTE THE WIRES ABOVE EVERYTHING...IT WAS A PAIN IN THE *** TO SOLDER AND GLUE TOGETHER. MOUNTING IT USING THE TYPICAL PCB MOUNTING METHOD (IE. DRILLING HOLES LIKE A PERFBOARD) IS MUCH, MUCH EASIER. Some pics, along with my naked speakers & tweeters.

Brendan

Another update! (God, don't you just love them?)
April 11, 2008
-One enclosure done, and mocked-up with baffle & Xover as reference; the other one will be completed on Tuesday, as I don't have class until then. Oh, and a small change in plans...originally I was aiming for varnish, but after trying it out on a scrap piece, I can safely say that it looks like crap. So, no varnish, but staining is the next option. Going to pick up some of this Golden Oak stuff next time I go to Home Depot, as well as my carpet padding.

I'd say it turned out pretty nice, all the mitres came out perfectly, everything is square...all that's left is to route the roundover/chamfers and drill out the holes.

Brendan

Stick with the roundover

Zaph seems pretty firm about roundovers. 3/4" if possible, 1/2" if not.

Given what else I see in that woodshop, I'd expect you have a router table with a 3/4" roundover bit available. If it was me I'd have to experiment on a scrap piece before I attempted an end-grain cut.

Your mitres look spectacular.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
cyberspyder said:
No, no, I do have a 3/4" roundover...just that it kinds looks boring, as all other speakers have roundovers...

Hi,
Yours would have the plywoods laminations showing, some would say that looks exciting. :)

A chamfer would give to a nice flat surface to veneer if you didn't like the laminations.

For diffraction, a roundover is the best, but a chamfer is very good also, certainly beats a sharp 90* corner.

BTW, nice work! :up:

MJL21193 said:

For diffraction, a roundover is the best, but a chamfer is very good also, certainly beats a sharp 90* corner.

BTW, nice work! :up:

Yeah, nice work.

no problem going with a 45 degree chamfer, but just round the edges of it slightly. would still look cool with the ply laminations showing.

sharp edges can give a very defined frequency of diffraction, every bit of rounding spreads the diffraction signature.

Andy Graddon Thanks!!!!!! that you help him.!!!!! now i cannot help because i don't understand the Q.!!!! i wook like him to finish quickly!!! because i wook like to drink some beer. now i'm afraid of him to post more than 20 page because a long time that i can drink!!!!

Today(13 AP) is thailand new year!!!! i hope that my friends on this broad are happy everyday. thanks!!!for all moderators that never tell me that u are bad because all moderators afraid of me can not understand!!!!lol:D today we call songkran day. we play with the water 3 days.!!!!!

regards/:cool:

songkran day

http://images.google.co.th/images?hl=th&q=สงกรานต์&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

LOL guys...I'm only 16, and can't use the shop on weekends, as this is an in-class project///BTW, I went to Home Depot today for some stain and carpet padding. Outcome? A can of Golden Oak, and no carpet padding, because 'they couldn't cut section of a roll for me and there weren't any scraps'. Yea, bullcrap. Anyhow, will try the carpet store beside my mom's workplace...

Brendan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.