Beginning my aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
actually the soft start design was commited by my father, it can look a bit complicated, but can be resumed like that: he tried to work with a AC 220v relay (that can pass easily high currents during listening sessions) that would be maintained in "autolock "position , so the small devices would not be sollicitated permanently...they just work to help lock the big relay with a 5 second delay(while the big caps of the psu are charging), and then when it's autolocked they turn off...
sorry for the long explanation, but I am a biginner so does my father ...so maybe there was simpliest ways to achieve that, but the idea there was reliability... feel free to comment that circuit
we looked at all the soft start curcuits on the forum, and the best seemed to be the CL60 from Nelson of course ...but we wanted to take some fun creating something diffrent...
:D

here is the schematic::D

Attachments

• soft start.jpg
    soft start.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 499
bobsinclar said:
Hello Jleaman,
sure I'll run with Brian GT boards (I just modified them a little bit with bypassed caps and additional psu caps) will post a pict soon...I ignored you also worked with Brian on the design of these great cards, I just love them...
thanks for your comments!
Vince

THe main goal for me was the smd version :) the through hole was me poking at him to get them done. We both shared idea's..

I love the smd ones the best and Aleph Mini's

No Jacco,
actually this is only my second amp...(the first was the citation 12 mos fet) so as what concerns electronic I have to admit that I really begin, I can understand how to roughly read a schematic , I learned almost all I know reading this forum, and Nelson's articles...so yes I really consider myself as a beginner, I wouldn't be able to design a schematic for the whole amplifier by myself ...:cannotbe:
Vince

Vince,

All of the parts used, the layout, mechanics, and detail suggest at least 10 years of knowledge and practice.
I've seen plenty professional products that do not come close.
You must be a very observative reader.
As impressive as your firstborn.
The Master will be very content to have sent you his signature tag, Chapeau !

Thank you very much Jacco,
I really appreciate your nice words and observaions, and you are totally right , althought I don't have particular electronical skills, I really read a lot of sound magazines,especially the pictures of opened amps... you are right! at least 10 years of reading:) so I guess it was now time to have fun on a personnal project,
Thanks to Nelson that made this possible :smash:

Hello,
I'm back with news , trhe 2 channels were plugged tonight, and the amp worked just ok with no problem at all at the first firing ...I had no variac to start it properly...so I was a bit nervous to flash the 12 mos at once... anyway I followed Nelson's procedure in case you don't have variac carefully: fire up and step away:cool:
nothing happened, so I plugged the scope...everything was ok, then the dummy load+scope...sopme square waves just to check...whatever the frequency never seen such square figures:eek: dead flat at 40hz and real clean at 20khz...

replaced the dummy load by a pair of custom JBL 4435 :D
and tried some LA funk from the 80's :hot: :hot: :hot: they never sounded like that, 30watts from this baby brings deep extended and controlled bass from the 15inch , but meds and hihs are just the bestI ever had here , even comparet to my pro gears, BGW/SAE/CROWN...this amp can make those horns sound so sweet:bigeyes:
I'll never forget that experience , Nelson's aleph schematic is just a work of art , such simplicity in the design reaching that edge of accuracy in sound stage reproduction is just incredible:apathic:
Again thanks Nelson!

Attachments

• v2 trimming.jpg
    v2 trimming.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 437
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
bobsinclar said:
Hello,
I'm back with news , trhe 2 channels were plugged tonight, and the amp worked just ok with no problem at all at the first firing ...I had no variac to start it properly...so I was a bit nervous to flash the 12 mos at once... anyway I followed Nelson's procedure in case you don't have variac carefully: fire up and step away:cool:
nothing happened, so I plugged the scope...everything was ok, then the dummy load+scope...sopme square waves just to check...whatever the frequency never seen such square figures:eek: dead flat at 40hz and real clean at 20khz...

replaced the dummy load by a pair of custom JBL 4435 :D
and tried some LA funk from the 80's :hot: :hot: :hot: they never sounded like that, 30watts from this baby brings deep extended and controlled bass from the 15inch , but meds and hihs are just the bestI ever had here , even comparet to my pro gears, BGW/SAE/CROWN...this amp can make those horns sound so sweet:bigeyes:
I'll never forget that experience , Nelson's aleph schematic is just a work of art , such simplicity in the design reaching that edge of accuracy in sound stage reproduction is just incredible:apathic:
Again thanks Nelson!

hehe - now you remind me on my self when I tried my Babelfish in a breadboard stage......almost thinking at loud "this can't work this good !! "

now you shoot me with JBL pictures ;)

Bob,

I'm a DIY speakerbuilder always looking for new challenge. I started the hobby with Dickenson's Loudspeaker Cookbook and have moved on to similar publications.
Could you recommend a similar book for making amps and preamps. I'd like to make an Aleph 3, 30, or even a 5. Once my current project MTM is finished I'll be looking for an amp to power it. I like the idea of single ended class A, or just class A. I don't need a lot of power. My MTMs should be at least 90db. efficient and my listenspace modest.
I've seen the Pass Labs site but would like to know of any others designed for the beginner.

Thanks,

Steven Hebert

steviejoe said:
Bob,

I'm a DIY speakerbuilder always looking for new challenge. I started the hobby with Dickenson's Loudspeaker Cookbook and have moved on to similar publications.
Could you recommend a similar book for making amps and preamps. I'd like to make an Aleph 3, 30, or even a 5. Once my current project MTM is finished I'll be looking for an amp to power it. I like the idea of single ended class A, or just class A. I don't need a lot of power. My MTMs should be at least 90db. efficient and my listenspace modest.
I've seen the Pass Labs site but would like to know of any others designed for the beginner.

Thanks,

Steven Hebert

Im running the aleph mini's 15-20watts off 2 fet's depending on psu's. I think there are some boards out there on brian's site too. If not pm me.. Im running 8 of them. 4 smd mini alephs and 4 Through hole mini aleph's.

Jase

Hey Chocky
I'll post picts of the speakers soon, but as the aleph they are in ogress...not painted yet...they are for the moment experimental speakers;)

Steven, as long as you don't want to play too loud your speakers, 10to 15 watts should be ok..., even thought my speakers have an average 96db sensitivity, I choose the 30 watts version of aleph because when you have a party it's nice to let speak watts, and mobe a bit the walls:D , whatever power you decide for think that these watts are effective, these amps hits hardand precise... so I guess the A30 is a good versatile amp...
as for litterature I may not be the best to inform you, and I really can't think of anyone else than Nelson's articles for a good start...I read a lot of electronic magazines with plans full of errors, and contradictory informations...starting with Nelson's zen and alephs , and A40 schematics and articles should only be successful...
not that there aren't others , but I really suggest this way, as for the single ended it's the ultimate reference...
try it you won't nbe disappointed...
Vince(BOBSINCLAR)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.