Beautiful 8 Inch South Korean Fullrange Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The "phase plug" looks like a dust cap to me. And it looks like paper.
Agreed 100% I believe they have extended the pole piece cavity rather than reduce like with a phase plug, perhaps with similar results and the end of it, the cap portion is likely to extend the high end similar to a whizzer.

That speaker's not likely to get a date for Saturday night though. She needs a new wardrobe. ;)

These look interesting, kinda creepy (what's this in the middle -a phase plug?) but nice :) The paper /surround is interesting, the frame looks ok. TubeGuy, please let us know how they sound if you get a pair :trapper:

p.s. it is strange to call them overpriced. Is a Maserati overpriced, just because there are cheaper 4-wheel vehicles out there?

Yea but if you opened the bonnet and found a Chevy v8 with a Holley on it. You might think it was overpriced. And the drivers have standard looking mass market alloy frames ,spiders and magnets? Now if you found cast bronze frames with user serviceable phenolic 3 point spiders and cones. You would have a maserati of a speaker. Admittedly they are only a $700 a pair set of speakers so compromises must be made.

In the email I wrote to Sonodyne I asked if they were looking for a US importer or distributor. So now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.
Good luck Tom, i'm betting we've a better chance of seeing the Sonodyne 8"ers make it here then the Fostex FE203En-s!

FOSTEX
News release
2011-04-01
Limited FE203En-S Notice of shipment delays
Limited Edition will ship with successively Orimashita March 2011 FE203En-S For, we have to delay production and parts procurement delays. At present, our expectations and sequential delivery from late April 2011 with a delay of about a month. Customers / stakeholders of the people apologize very deeply apologize for any inconvenience.
???FE203En-S????????????? - INFORMATION : FOSTEX COMPANY

Hi fatbattery.

I believe the guy on eBay selling those drivers is buying them from Sonodyne and then trying to make some cash reselling them. If you purchased those same drivers directly from Sonodyne yourself they'd cost you $1010 USD.

In the email I wrote to Sonodyne I asked if they were looking for a US importer or distributor. So now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

TubeGuy I did a bit of a google on sonodyne and I got a Indian manufacturer. From what I gathered a large one dealing with studio speakers and equipment. It did have a link for dealer inquires. Where exactly are you contacting them?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I may be mistaken, but I believe the "phase plug" is more than a dust cap

Yeah, hard to say. It's just from the photo it looks like paper, the same paper, and appears to be glued to the cone. But that may be a trick of the light. Even if it is paper and moves with the cone, it must have some phase or whizzer properties.

Attachments

• dustcap.jpg
    dustcap.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 557
In Korea

TubeGuy I did a bit of a google on sonodyne and I got a Indian manufacturer. From what I gathered a large one dealing with studio speakers and equipment. It did have a link for dealer inquires. Where exactly are you contacting them?

Hello Fatbattery,

They're located in Korea.

i build drivers without plugs and the hollow hole is made makes the response ragged. Just to close that hole solved the problem . Later i found that the response got even better when i formed the plug like a closed cylinder, looking very similiar of what i sse here. The actual shape proved to be rather uncritical provided that the hole is filled. If the plug is glued to the cone and moved with it then it may serve a double purpose of raising the moving mass and damping the cone a ittle.

Here we go. A wideband by my friend and mentor Be Yamamura.

Hello Joachim,

I've always wanted to be able to hear the Yamamura drivers. To be honest I'm amazed Yamamura dropped their two beautiful horns. Especially their which you can see as you scroll down the pages at this website: The Yamamura Churchill Dionisio 27 Check out the size of the Yamamura drivers when they're in the man's hands, absolutely they're HUGE! I believe these were what inspired Nelson Pass' KleinHorns!

Correcting My Previous Post!

Hello Joachim,

I've always wanted to be able to hear the Yamamura drivers. To be honest I'm amazed Yamamura dropped their two beautiful horns. Especially their which you can see as you scroll down the pages at this website! The Yamamura Churchill Dionisio 27 Check out the size of the Yamamura drivers when they're in the man's hands, absolutely they're HUGE! I believe these were what inspired Nelson Pass' KleinHorns!

I made two mistakes in my post above.

First I used the incorrect link, however I corrected that error by adding the correct link to this post.

Secondly what I meant to say was I've always wanted to be able to hear the Yamamura drivers. To be honest I'm amazed Yamamura dropped their two beautiful horns. Especially their Yamamura Churchill Dionisio 27 back-loaded horns which you'll be able to see as you scroll down the pages at this corrected website: These are the speakers that I believe inspired Nelson Pass' later, much more massive, KleinHorns! Check out the size of the Yamamura drivers when they're in the man's hands, absolutely they're HUGE!

My name is Karl Granat, and I have written the seller of the Sonodyne drivers on E-Bay.

He is willing to sell the SD-855 Sonodyne drivers for $600/pair for one or two pairs of the drivers, or $500/pair for 5 or more pairs of the Sonodyne SD-855,

These prices are in Korea, with shipping and insurance extra.

He would prefer payment by PayPal.

If anyone is interested, please let me know, and we can each pay separately. The fellow has a 97%+ positive rating on E-Bay.

Sincerely,

Karl Granat
Salem, Oregon 97302 USA ph. 503 949-1162

Tubeguy, Be, many years ago got trouble with one eye and could not solder himself any more. Later he lost sight on one eye totally dispite many effords and operation.
He now has retired into a small village on the Japanese countryside. That did not stop him to make what he calls "His Last Amplifier". He send me a picture and i plan to visit him some day when the Fukushima dust has settled.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.