BC550 BC560 Very low noise RIAA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks.

My sim wasn't working as it should, and yours seems to work better.

As this is the time to play, I decided to see what happened if I added a DC Servo to the simulation, and the results seem quite promising.

Run the included file and look at THD, both at 1K and 20K.

If the simulation is right, the results are amazing.

Attachments

• SLN_mdvv_5_thd_Test.dcservo.asc
    12.3 KB · Views: 115
Hi carlmart.
With the servo you can omit the resistors PP and PN (= 0 ohms).
Why extra power supply for the servo? I ran the simulation with same supply for all, it makes no difference.
My PCBs are already done. But one could perhaps put a small piggyback board with the servo on them.

Of course you're right about not using a separate supply for the servo.

But I was thinking of using a Jung style supply for the main power and a separate one for the servo.

Yes, it's very easy to assemble a prototype piggy-back for testing the servo with actual audio, and see what changes. Eliminating the input and feedback caps could bring big improvements. But this have to be listened to.

I made a comparison, let's hope it's a valid one, between the Elektor SLN and two other high quality RIAA preamps.

Can upload the asc files if you want me to.

The SLN scores quite well, IMHO.

Attachments

• RIAA THD comparison.jpg
    RIAA THD comparison.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 471
When you put a DC servo around a RIAA amplifier, its poles start shifting. That is, you may have to tweak the values of the RIAA correction circuit a bit to get accurate RIAA correction. (Maybe this comment doesn't apply to the circuit you are discussing, I can't read asc files at the moment so I have no idea what the precise circuit is.)

When you put a DC servo around a RIAA amplifier, its poles start shifting. That is, you may have to tweak the values of the RIAA correction circuit a bit to get accurate RIAA correction. (Maybe this comment doesn't apply to the circuit you are discussing, I can't read asc files at the moment so I have no idea what the precise circuit is.)

It's to be expected that a DC servo might shift things a bit when it's applied on a filter. Though I wonder if there's a way to simulate that shift.

In the case of the opamp pre sim, the servo was applied by the designer, so it should be correct.

I'm not sure I can show those designs here, because of copyright reasons, and also because it would mean taking the focus off the SLN project.

But here are the three asc sims that can be run on LTSpice.

The SLN sim, set for 30Hz does show a great increase on the THD figure, even if that doesn't show to be so serious on the curve, which still looks quite good.

Attachments

• SLN_mdvv_5_thd_Test.dcservo.asc
    11.7 KB · Views: 76
  • LT1115 RIAA preamp_GG.asc
    5.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Luxman 5C50 RIAA_SERVO.asc
    12.2 KB · Views: 85
NP0 a.k.a. C0G has a bit more more dielectric absorption than polystyrene, but linearity, stability and quality factor are quite good. The temperature stability is actually better than polystyrene. Mouser has some NP0 SMD capacitors with 1 % tolerance. For critical resistors, especially when 1/f noise matters, use thin film rather than thick film types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.