bass speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're going to build your own, do what I did to my el-cheapo bass...

Get a nice sharp chisel, and prise the frets off, one by one. One or two were glued (soldering iron needed to loosen), and the neck needed a little sanding afterwards, but I've got a fretless! I happen to think it's brilliant: the lines were the frets were are still there, so the intonation is rarely out. And such smooth slides!

Just watch out for trying slap bass with no frets on a relatively soft neck - ordinary strings can put marks on it. Got myself some flatwounds :D

Pictures later
Chris

I've done the same thing with an old Framus bass. In the meantime I regret having done so because 1.) this would have been a good candidate for baritone tuning and fast playing and 2) I have enough other fretless basses including an ERB.

Refretting might be quite some work until they are really even.

Regards

Charles

This was my only bass, so I got the gig out of the way (was helping out a friend) then took a chisel to it.
I actually did it during a music lesson/practice session in college, so I got some odd looks when I calmly took out a chisel and a soldering iron and got to work. Asked teacher's permission first, of course.
It was a cheap "Encore" P-bass copy, so nothing major lost if I knackered it.

I'm saving up for a "proper" bass next, maybe a Fender Jazz or Precision.

Back to speakers, how does it sound, tinitus?

Chris

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I know I have shown this photo before
but it still shows a very remarkable thing

notice the empty holes in the acoustic material
I did that to loosen it up
I said I lacked top end, but liked the low end, which was very smooth with nicely prolonges sustain
loosening it up gave me back some of the top end, but the low end became more 'spunky', and less smooth

now I have filled in the holes with very loose acoustic material, like the other used
I now have much better top end
and I got the tighter and smooth low end sustain back

its really remarkable how little it takes to make a difference

Attachments

• IMG_5985.JPG
    IMG_5985.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 54
Looks good so far.

If you want a nice, smooth transition, here's an idea...

Fill the space with cardboard, layered up so it completely fills the front of the horn.
Take a sharp knife, and cut away until you have the correct horn profile, then cover it with wood (or other) filler. You know, the stuff that sets hard but you can still sand down to a nice matte finish.

Chris

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
slowly moving forward
not easy when your working place is a simple cardboard box :D

tweeter arrived today, and looks very nice :)
though I dont understand why they write throat diameter of 25,4mm, when in fact it is 24,5mm

Attachments

• IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 57
i'd like to find an old aluminum neck Travis Bean.

Which MESA? The 400+ all-tube power amp? That thing is great, and plenty of power IMHO.

I just sold my travis guitar and travis bass. Sigh.

I liked the bass a LOT, though it is extremely neck-heavy. They're not unreasonably priced, whereas the guitars are 2 to 3 times more.

If you don't want to blow speakers, just have enough to handle the amp's power.

This thread started with saying he liked the sound of the aluminum-coned Hartke 10. It is incredible with the travis, but then you need a rig like when I saw Jacko Pastorius (RIP). He had a single SVT head with two 8-10 bottoms. So that's 16 10" speakers for less than half the power you have. So if you're serious, start thinking in multiples of SVT 8-10 type bottoms and as you add more they start to make more lower bass too.

Things I don't like for bass guitar: 2-way crossovers, treble horns, tweeters, open-back cabinets, bass-reflex, ports of any kind. YMMV.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Things I don't like for bass guitar: 2-way crossovers, treble horns, tweeters, open-back cabinets, bass-reflex, ports of any kind. YMMV.

I thought so too ;)
heavy closed box rules, absolutely

and tweeters ?
most commercially used tweeters seems to be super tweeter that wont work well below 5khz
anyway, my choise of woofer demands the use of additional drivers

well, this cheap compression driver really makes the Palmer Pocket amp sing
some the special guitarist effect seettings now works much much better
and it sounds much better in tune
btw, I should mention that its an old model CD
but it was really cheap
actually half the cost was shipping :(

so yeah, I feel 100% confident that my design will sing :)
and I guess it won't hurt that it will be a fullfunctional PA or party speaker :D

with another top section you would have a full stereo with sub
but that will be another project, some other time
for now, I'm really glad that I only need to build one of each :eek::D
I am a bit excited to hear it with the 8" midwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.