Basic PA speaker rules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Numbers

Just crunched some numbers briefly..the fifteen is really more suitable as the EBP is at 109 which is nearest to the ideal 100 and the 12" is way up at 137...plus the Fs of the 12" is really too high at fifty plus making for that bonk bonk sound bass...on the flip side the box size(Can't find the scientific calc.) of the 12" would be really small given the Fs....The fifteen would be the better choice as it will reach down farther, the box will be of proportional size....the big horn SHOULD bring the tweet down in frequency to tie up with the woof.
___________________________________Rick..........

Hello,

thanx for intresting answers! :) Ill definatley check out that other thread.

Maybe the SPL I stated is too much outdoors - I dont need to reach a certain number - but I know these speakers would be enough for a small party for say 50-100 people.

Buying a pair of finished speakers is out of the question, Im not looking for a perfect result but rather a fun project during the winter. I already built a 3-way speaker with drivers that I choosed myself and a bunch of resistors, so I know I can get right given enough time. But ofcourse, building a ready-made kit would make things easier.

Is going with active XO really neceseary? Would I loose alot if I didnt? I would ofcourse do that, and buy a dbx drive rack pa for XO, but I dont have that kind of money to play with. Also I have a limited amout of power at my hands - the generator delivers 2500 watts and I need some left for lighting.

First Rule of pro-audio - never, but never, run of a generator - this will cause you extensive, and expensive, heartache. If you need to function off a generator, make sure that it is AT LEAST capable of twice maximum wattage your rig will deliver and fully surge-surpressed! For example:- If you are running a 2500 watt generator, the maximum power of amplifier you could use will be 1250 watts ( 625w rms per channel, and, don't even think of connecting the lighting as well!!!) Taking this into account a 2x15 cabinet (with a large horn and suitable passive crossover) will be the only option you have available within the given context. By using efficient drivers you will come pretty close to the ideal compromise. Having said this, the design of a suitable reflex cabinet should not be too much of a problem, and, a 2x15 will give a really thumping fat-sounding bass if the cabinet is correctly designed Check out APEX AUDIO and ROG MOGALES's website for some ideas and cab designs. You can also email me directly at "thesoundworks at gmail dot com" The Sound Man

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.