Balanced Tube Headphone Amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm with Sodacose on this one, I don't know how a winding whose center tap is grounded can be considered floating.

Sorry. Misread the schematic. I thought the headphone output was taken between the top of the secondary and the center tap and the bottom not connected. It's the headphone driver that will float.

Why is the secondary center tap tied to ground? Safety reasons?

se

OK, that makes sense. How does the secondary charge up BTW? Capacitively?

Not having to ground the secondary center tap means there may be a lot more options for output transformers. BUT, now I'd be dividing the a2a by 4 instead of 2, right? So I'll have to find something with a fairly high primary z.

Thanks for the help, SY!

CT or no will make no difference in the reflected impedance because you're not changing the relative turns ratio between primary and secondary. See, I'm full of good news today!

I've seen a few handwaving explanations of the charging, but haven't seen any data showing that it happens, much less the cause.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.