• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Baking Tubes Procedure - Help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Applying high voltage and heating simultaneously does no harm unless the voltage is rather high. Normal domestic amplifiers and most instrument amplifiers do not need sequenced switching; it could even be harmful. High power PA and valve transmitters do need proper sequencing, because of the high voltages they use; in this case they will probably have sequencing built in, as it is unreasonable and error-prone to expect the user to get the timing right every time.
Near all tubes works with hi voltage to me:
A small preamp 12AX7 tube plate can receive over 300VDC
A thin EL34 plate can sink 800VDC.
6C33 plate usually run from 200VDC to 250VDC.
GM70 plate start working at 800VDC to 1500VDC
Chinese 211/845/805 Triode plates start working at 900VDC

This is very hi voltage to me, but even a low 30 VDC can kill a man.
Tube amps owners must use a clock to mark the time to press the second power on switch, I sure it not difficult even for Pop music fans.

I know many very famous, respectable and expensive tube brands that dont use a second power on switch or even a time delay for the HV plate.
All I can say to it is these amps are outrageously faulty and are obviously tube eaters.
I hate this kind of scamming in audio.

I've been using several med. pwr. HF amplifiers ( 2KW +/-) for years, - none og them has or had a separate HV switch...
I sorry your amp dont had two power on switches or even a HV delay.
But it can be moded, a switch cost so low as 0,25 dolar in China.
Very few money to protect your tubes and amp.

Otherwise if you use this tube is a ham radio, it surely had a knob for output power, which is the hi voltage control; and dont need a second power on switch.

FullRangeMan said:
This is very hi voltage to me, but even a low 30 VDC can kill a man.
Tube amps owners must use a clock to mark the time to press the second power on switch, I sure it not difficult even for Pop music fans.

I know many very famous, respectable and expensive tube brands that dont use a second power on switch or even a time delay for the HV plate.
All I can say to it is these amps are outrageously faulty and are obviously tube eaters.
I hate this kind of scamming in audio.
Fortunately, valves have different ideas about high voltage.

The scam is low power valve amps with a totally unnecessary 'stand-by' switch, which may reduce valve and capacitor life by creating current surges and running valves unnecessarily with full heater and no HT.

HF PAs have a standby function which disables keying, - HV is on at all times... no problems at all
- and HV is 2.5-3 KV, depending on OP mode.
No need to modify, - and switches don't like 3 Kilovolts.......
I unknow this amp but this standby option looks a second switch, it may keep on just the cathode heating and disable the grid and HV, hence the name ''stand-by''.
Some amp builders, use a pot to control the HV plate, which is OK.

3kV is the output from the power supply, the input where the second switch locate may be 120V from the wall outlet.

Last edited:
Interesting question, FullRangeMan.

I was wondering whether setting up a simple burn-in fixture (a socket and a power supply) and applying power to the filament only would work. A quick google search turned up this link:

AE1S Amateur Radio Blog: "Gettering" GU74b / 4CX800A

Granted, I haven't done this myself (although I intend to do so in the very near future with some old tubes I just acquired on eBay), but it sounds quite safe and reasonable.

The heater in the tube provides a rather high temp and will also heat the cathode element. Heating both elements will serve to absorb any stray gas molecules in the tube.

I tend to agree with the other posters that the getter itself is a one-time use device. Baking the entire tube in an oven is problematic in both the blistering of the bakelite base (on octal tubes) and getting clearance from the XYL :D

If you're concerned about gas in your older tubes, it seems just running the filament hot for several hours would do the best possible thing.

BTW - for most of the audio tubes used by us, you won't need the cooling fan apparatus described in the link. The 4CXxxx is a VERY hot tube, with a ceramic body, and absolutely needs forced-air cooling or it will be destroyed.

As a practical note, most of the amplifiers we build run on modest (<500V) plate supplies. The danger of arcing in the tube due to gas is remote - but this seems like a very easy procedure and at this point I'm of the opinion, "why not?"

This seems to apply only to old tubes either pulls or NOS that have been in storage for many years. A new tube will not need this kind of treatment.

As for the cryogenic stuff - I will leave that to others...

Good luck!

RF Dude

Last edited:
rfengineer2013 said:
I tend to agree with the other posters that the getter itself is a one-time use device.
No. Firing the getter is a one-time event. The getter then continues to mop up gas for the life of the valve. It works at all temperatures, but better at higher temperatures.

An exception is some high power valves, which use a different getter system. This is attached to the anode and only works at high temperature. Some big RF ceramic tetrodes may use this system, so you can't necessarily apply techniques for them to ordinary audio/radio valves.

DF96, I would agree with you that firing the getter is a one-time event. And the theory presented in the link I posted does indeed suggest that he is "activating" the getter by heating the tube.

While heating the getter in the 4CX tube was seemingly the object of the exercise, I think the process is still valid in this discussion.

Earlier in this thread was a link to a white paper that involved baking tubes in an oven at 100C or so. The theory there was that the filament and cathode surfaces, when heated, would absorb any stray gas molecules in the tube.

It seems that IF a person wants to "bake-out" a tube after long-term storage, and IF the process involves heating the tube, then it only seems logical to use the tube's own built-in heater.

Whether it makes any difference or not, I can't say. Certainly, we're talking about very trace amounts of gas here. If the plates glow blue in operation, this process is not going to fix the tube (unless it's supposed to glow blue, that is)

So while it may not help much, IMHO it can't hurt to run the filaments on tubes that have been in long-term storage.

If nothing else, it looks pretty :)

In most valves the heater does not heat the getter very much, as the getter is on the envelope so kept fairly cool. In many cases simply running the valve (i.e. heater and anode current) will do the job, as the anode will heat the getter more effectively than the heater will. Baking it is an alternative, which may be better as the cathode is not exposed to danger from ions.

Oh dear, I got quite misunderstood here.

If this would be true, life would be so much easier in the lab. We wouldn't need expensive vacuum pumps, baking large machines at 200°C for days and the like - great!

Think about it again, and maybe read one or two books on vacuum technology. I had to and I did - designing, building and operating UHV systems for roughly 7 years now.

Done that - on theoretical scale. Using Lenard Jones Potential for the adsorption, calculating partition functions, temperature dependet pressure etc..

Some gas gets adsorbed at the inner surfaces of a vacuum vessel, but at non-zero temperatures you get some balance between adsorption and desorption, which results in residual gas pressures inacceptable for high or even ultra-high vacuum systems. If you really want UHV conditions, you have to bake the whole apparatus to desorb the gas from the inner surfaces, pump it away and then let the apparatus cool down. But even after that, you need pumps to keep the good pressure, as still some residual gas desorbs from the surfaces.

Know that quite well :) We do some nanostructures in my University with molecular beam epitaxy. This is done in UHV conditions. Maybe the department pays your job, when something is ordered :D

I don't see why this shouldn't be done using the tube heaters instead of an oven...

Exactly what I mentioned. Baking is not particularly neccessary.

Residual gas being trapped on or even beneath the surface atoms happens only with a few metals (which are then used as getters)

In terms of chemical bonding, yes. But simple sorption happens on nearly every surface. When it minimizes the free Energy (A tube can be seen as a nice Canonical Ensemble) it will happen.

The metal parts in a valve are frequently the source of the gas, which evolves out over time!

I assumed that the structures were heated properly when the turbo pump/diffusion pump was applied and that there were very few molecules left on the surface. Under these circumstances, any air that goes in the tube will be caught by the metal structures (chemical potential !) and of course the getter.

And to clear things up a bit, here is a table with some Getter types:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
(source: Getter Materials)

Usually, barium getters are used (silver dome), sometimes also Ferrum-Zirconium (invisible on the glass)

Fortunately, valves have different ideas about high voltage.

The scam is low power valve amps with a totally unnecessary 'stand-by' switch, which may reduce valve and capacitor life by creating current surges and running valves unnecessarily with full heater and no HT.
My electronics knowledge is so small I do not know if these probs you mentioned even exist, but seems make sense at first glance.
I would be careful with these famous Triodes amps, as these audiophile tubes are very expensive(45, 2A3,300B) and are marketed as jewelry.

Last edited:
Surely running the valves *once* to operating temp, would be enough? When you turn it off, the valve is still really hot, and that remaing thermal energy should be plenty for any "gas" to find its way to the getter...yeah? As long as that getter still looks good after cooling, all is well..right? ;)

cheers, Jacob

Surely running the valves *once* to operating temp, would be enough? When you turn it off, the valve is still really hot, and that remaing thermal energy should be plenty for any "gas" to find its way to the getter...yeah? As long as that getter still looks good after cooling, all is well..right? ;)

cheers, Jacob
you would think so, especially since the tubes don't have a big empty space conpared to CRTs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.