baffle slant fact or fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst kind now is it?

The total energy in the enclosure (or a room) is the same. As Linkwitz & others point out, you can try to break these up somewhat with dissimilar wall angles, but if (if: it's not a given) you do manage, what you then succeed in doing is making something that was predictable & therefore relatively easy to address into something rather less predictable, & concomitantly often more difficult to fix.

As for slanting front baffles, see above. Used to improve time alignment, mainly with low order filters (1st & 2nd) if you don't want a delay network, which can be a PITA to calculate for passive filters).

I don't know if it's similar to whatever is raised in the unspecified thread. As a rule, I've given up looking at the myriad threads you have started on subjects already discussed at length on this & other forums, & dealt with extensively in the many textbooks on acoustics and basic physics. You might want to invest in one. Or try out the forum search facility. However, you appear to have torpedoed your own claim to 'worst' in your post above by stating it is now a 'a matter of preference.' Quad erat demonstrandum.

Last edited:
Basic law of physics. High school. A reflection will always leave at the same angle as it arrived. Add a second surface at 90 degrees and you just happen to get the parallel return.
Exactly! Basic high school physics. This is the basis for the reflective "cats eyes" road markers. I applaud your patience in attempting to inform an OP who is demonstrably ill informed and opinionated. Laughable really.

Well, lilun, you're upsetting the old timers with your barrage of questions. ;)

I think I said elsewhere that it's time to do some homework. I was looking for a primer on the rather special "4th Order Linkwitz-Riley" filters. You need to know this. Here's a primer that even I can understand.

Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: A Primer

On cabinets, I think I nailed it myself here... :eek:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/223174-interesting-read-i-found-lossy-cabinet-designs-harbeth.html#post3234256

This is a great hobby. I frequently find myself doing stuff here that used to crop up in my courses on Quantum Mechanics, and Function of a Complex Variable, and Conformal Mapping. You can take it as far as you want. :cool:

is this a university and am I the student? and I guess all of you are the professors?

Look, we are all students. We all have different levels of knowledge to bring. If you don't like my questions don't reply.

I didn't know there was a harsh penalty for asking 'stupid' questions.

I still don't understand your example. Does everybody else? can somebody else explain

your going to lose this, your correct every speaker book says uneven walls reduce or eliminate standing waves but these people are confusing standing waves with reflecting waves.
A standing wave is just that Stand as in doesn't move, which makes the box act smaller.

and I guess all of you are the professors?

There are some Very highly qualified people frequenting these forums - some may well be at 'professor level' - All Willing to help even when asked the daftest of questions.
They will lead you part way to water, but they sure as hell wont carry you there and put it in a baby bottle and feed it to you.

There's no stupid questions. Only stupid answers. For some people "guessing" is sufficient and all needed. For others, all must fill all the missing links down to detail.

In a room we avoid any reflections of similar waves that can cause high amplitude wave. This accoustic understanding isn't "basic".

Go to blogspot.kaistale.com. In his blog you can see good explanation with video regarding what you need to know about audio accoustic.

Edit: or is it blog.kaistale.com

Last edited:
is this a university and am I the student? and I guess all of you are the professors?

Look, we are all students. We all have different levels of knowledge to bring. If you don't like my questions don't reply.

Please understand many of us are engineers and have spent 30 or more years learning about the complexities of speaker system design. We have invested quite a lot of money in equipment over the years. We love new people to get in, but it IS an engineering hobby and you DO have to put in a lot of effort. We all still do homework. No one here knows everything. The more effort you put in, the more help you will get. If you expect to be spoon fed, yes that will aggregate the more experienced members. Looking over the respondents to this thread, you have some very experienced folks offering to help. That help may be just to point you to other references. Take their advice. Your questions do need to be advanced, just researched.

lilun, please do your homework. You are not shedding a flattering light upon yourself. If you fire something into a 90º corner, no matter what angle you start with, it comes back in a parallel return path.

So if my subwoofer fires a 20hz sine wave signal into the corner, some of that bass will reflect back between the two surfaces and go all over the room. It does not come back in a parallel path. This is why subwoofers are often placed in a corner to enable the best sound coverage. The physics is wrong.

Here's a little lil something for you and lilun.

Standing wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

awesome I stand corrected on waves, but there is a reason for slanted cabs and my bass rig has an audible difference between the rectangular and the slanted cabinet, even in different rooms at different volumes the slanted cabinet sounds better according to other players.

THE ONLY thing that could make this forum better would be addition of a 'Like button'.

lilun...... you need to go play with some water in a rectangular vessel, make some gently waves with a credit card.......
(rofwmsl)
(rolling on floor wetting myself laughing)

Status
Not open for further replies.