Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
didn't think of doing that and will not

every mosfet is having some minimal rail voltage , when intrinsic capacitances are becoming at least a little more linear/ less hungry

say that 30V is lowest practical rail voltage for this one

for lower voltages, I'll have Plethora of Pinjatas amp - same (this) FE, output parts and bias mechanismus as B. M25 R.2

so, as always, plenty to choose from , no need for too much of compromises

Reactions: 1 user
PSX_20210612_140249.jpg

:D

SUPERCHOKY :cheers:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As ZM said in post #1, optos are for over current protection at 10A. The bias is the lt3092 but it’s holding some tricky current sources above and below the input network to bias the outputs. Looks like they would offer very high impedance, so maybe that helps with the stability. That is my question.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'll address tech. questions little later, after doing some chores ........... having 17yrs young She around is endless source of fun...... I'm doing all the things my Father certainly didn't :rofl:

now, only to quote my self :

OK1-OK2-TH1 .......... 10A limiting circuit, Savior of Our Souls, blatantly stolen from Pa :p

now just report about today's visit to my Official Second Set of Ears

it's bloody jolly good

did I said Spooky?

whatever of nasty demanding but divine music we did throw on it, it came with ease

nuff said, it did pass (almost as Pass made it :rofl: :devilr: ), now I can freely dissmantle N channel mosfets and mount THF51 instead

tomorrow or day after, you can expect report and results

another instance of All the Glory, or Major Flop

if you don't hear anything from me in 3 days, Flop it is :clown:

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 268
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20210612_181520.jpg
    IMG_20210612_181520.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_20210612_161923.jpg
    IMG_20210612_161923.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_20210612_161915.jpg
    IMG_20210612_161915.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20210612_161912.jpg
    IMG_20210612_161912.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_20210612_135535.jpg
    IMG_20210612_135535.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 552
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How much happy-ness for BFR are you using? 22R or 510R? Probably a good idea for future builders to use pin headers to find happy place somewhere between 22R and 510R.

17 year old riding Ducati with you? You are blessed ZM. By that age they want to have endless source of fun ... with their friends all the time

I'm certainly living different life with my children than my parents did with me but my life is vastly different from what my parents lived and for that I am eternally grateful to them.:happy2:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Twitchie ....... it seems I'm cursed of not having much time this year to give to my 2-wheeled pets ....... even weather wasn't exactly helping (sissy excuse)

reason is that I had too much fun with recent and upcoming amps, so didn't felt need for fueled meditation...... frankly, there is no difference in brain speed - me being in my workshop, or being on bike ...... even if there is obvious difference in Butt moving speed :clown:

regarding sonic impressions... I just replied to grataku in PM, and realized it's worth pasting here (besides some other things, he asked for comparison between LuDEF and this amp):

I did wrote something , but didn't referenced to recent amps

LuDEF, even having insane low THD - for amp without NFB, is still having sonic footprint - xformer nature (which I like) and evident 2nd harmonic dominance

Babelfish XA252 - it is exactly as PL XA25 is described in (better) Audiopholl periodicals - invisible

practically - I'm finding it as counterpart to what is Iron Pumpkin for preamps

though - one fact is extremely important - due to careful nurture of having dominant 2nd (doesn't matter how low) it is not sounding sterile

all that set for minimal THD/max OLG , BFR resistor value of 22R

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi ZM,

Nice work :)

Question, where is your output bias thermal stability coming from? I needed thermistors on my non-optical bias to keep it from running away.

Thanks

let me know if pic is worth less than 1000 ....... JFets :clown:

Attachments

• Babelfish XA252 MOSonly biasing explanation.png
    Babelfish XA252 MOSonly biasing explanation.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
let me know if pic is worth less than 1000 ....... JFets :clown:

Hi ZM,

So, from your picture, you are saying that the programmed constant current sources remove the drift in the bias voltage, with voltage sagging, and the bias drift from the outputs heating up is just handled by the thermal mass of the output heatsinks. So if you want it stable you had better use big heat sinks or the bias will go up as it heats up. Correct?

With SissySIT R.3/M25 R.2, no worries as it’s tracked by the optos?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you got it wrong

stare at pic some more

there is servo function in that, fully working, no need for aux gimmicks as NTCs and whatnot ...... and heatsink must be adequate, but not as biasing helper

current mirror is having programmed current at one side, while other side of current mirror is increasing or decreasing own current, so that voltage sags stays constant

current of "working" side of CM is changed simply by effect of changing voltage between rail and base, while emiter resistor is not changing ........ so effect must be change of current though part

contrary to that, reference halves of CM are having everything constant - both current through them, same as constant voltage between bases and rails