BA-3 Amplifier illustrated build guide

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Very well at least with a 4ohm (dips to 3 I think) pair. I did a 6 deep build with 24V rails to match well with those. I monkeyed around with various bias settings. I also used tightly matched MOSFETs and lowered the source resistors to 0R22.

I haven't measured the output impedance ... but I assume it's 'lower'.

I think you'll like it, but YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, Dirk! I will check out if my friend still can provide som aluminium sheets, and if so the plain 9» degree solution with holes on top should be an easy job. Btw, what are those series resistors you have stacked there for? Gain tweak?
Hello Andy,
i have built minimum 4 or 5 versions of the BA-3-frontend. That one on the pics was my 'testboard'.
I tested different transistors, different resistors in the outputstage (because of different Mosfets) and much more...
Greets from Dirk

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure I will be very pleased. I waited for this one. Would love to buy actual XA25, but this Babblefish version will do very nicely.

Nice description by one member here who has both. I'm getting close to finishing this one. Just finished, well, got playing at least, a new speaker build. Exciting together both done!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello Andy,
i have built minimum 4 or 5 versions of the BA-3-frontend. That one on the pics was my 'testboard'.
I tested different transistors, different resistors in the outputstage (because of different Mosfets) and much more...
Greets from Dirk
I have two BA3 front end preamps. Also have the BA3 amp, 3 pairs, 31 volt rails. Heatsinks are not that hot. It's been a while since checked/adjusted. Will see about upping the bias.

Russellc

Yes, it was directed at your comment about upping bias - but I was now talking about the output stage and not the front end :rofl:

Sorry.

Upping the front end Iq have proved perhaps the most positive results in my case, relatively speaking. 1v drop is spec, I am now at 1v8. But take care with higher rails.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
^ Very well at least with a 4ohm (dips to 3 I think) pair. I did a 6 deep build with 24V rails to match well with those. I monkeyed around with various bias settings. I also used tightly matched MOSFETs and lowered the source resistors to 0R22.

I haven't measured the output impedance ... but I assume it's 'lower'.

I think you'll like it, but YMMV.
I like mine fine. I built it years ago, still one of my favorite amps. My question came up because of the previously mentioned new speaker build. Designer says it will need amp capable into 4 ohms, and recommended 150 watts or more. BA3 seems not to have a problem!

Russellc

I have now piggybacked parallel resistors across the MOSFET source resistors. Total R now 12R instead of 22R. Iq 82mA. Listening tests tonight. Heat OK, pot range OK. Should have gotten a few db more gain too, nice for low recorded/highly dynamic music such as Pink Floyd.