B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a professional musician I have to have gear that works ALL the time. I have a killer repair service near me. Every pot I've ever had to replace was replaced with a Noble... I've never replaced a Noble in anything. I concur... top quality.

I bought 2 for 50$ including shipping.

Ive use the relay type volume pots the digital ones the dacts etc etc the list goes on the LDR

ANd i always go back to the simple quality of a Noble :)

My dad alwasy taught me simple in simple out.

Chrisb on here made me a passive volume pot and a case, still have it and still use it till this day do i like it HELLS YES!!

I like separate L/R volumes but balance is fine too. I've found that certain recordings need to be shifted just a tiny bit to really get that image to pop into place. I got hooked on Spica years ago and John Bau's grail was "sonic holography." Of course you can always shift yourself a bit. That said, I have no balance or separate L/R capability on my B1 and it is my reference front end. Dual mono stepped attenuator tracks right on. Any imbalance in a stereo pot is going to show up at the most attenuated positions, very low listening levels. Some, for example Audio Research, used to put in a general attenuator in front of the gain so the main pot could be operated in that 12:00 to 4:00 range... kind of a sweet spot.

Last edited:
I like separate L/R volumes but balance is fine too. I've found that certain recordings need to be shifted just a tiny bit to really get that image to pop into place. I got hooked on Spica years ago and John Bau's grail was "sonic holography." Of course you can always shift yourself a bit. That said, I have no balance or separate L/R capability on my B1 and it is my reference front end. Dual mono stepped attenuator tracks right on. Any imbalance in a stereo pot is going to show up at the most attenuated positions, midnight listening levels. Some, for example Audio Research, used to put in a general attenuator in front of the gain so the main pot could be operated in that 12:00 to 4:00 range... kind of a sweet spot.

I use one pot,

Out from source, into pot ( b1 possibly ) then to power amp. Simple out Simple in.

No need for balance as I adjust to thinking it was meant to be louder / softer on one or other side..

try it one day, use a pot, and just make a passive volume control. you would be amazed on what you hear / notice.

I will do that.
Question.
Do you listen through headphones most of the time?
Just my curious self asking/thinking etc.
bassnkeys

nope, 2 speakers :) Planet10 & chrisb got me hooked on a pair of half-chilli speakers and i love them. Now to Finnish my alephs and hear there REAL potential.

J

Attachments

• DSIR9323.JPG
    DSIR9323.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Oooooh Santa Claus has arrived

I feel like a Kiddie in a sweetie shop.

All my 10uF caps for the O/P for my B1 have arrived together.

From the Obbligato 10uF PIOs all the way through to the Chinese 10uF Audiophile Kondensor Caps.

It's got to be the Obbligatoes but they will take some re-work of the PCB to get them to fit. Not a problem but I don't want to destroy the PCB by having to rework it too many times.

Attachments

• DSIR9328.JPG
    DSIR9328.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 302
The leftovers will be available for a fraction of their cost.

Has anyone got any comments on the Jims Audio Yellow Drops?

The Chinese Audiophiller MKPS have been slated in previous posts.

shipping from you = 30 plus days X 3$ = not really worth it..

Plus you took to many pictures of them, they are de-valued now :eek::eek:

LOL..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.