B&G Neo8 Measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tenson said:
You must listen VERY quietly? Do you not also find the response starts to roll-off a fair bit above that, or does the slightly large baffle fix that? With a 23cm x 23cm baffle you can see on my plots it only extends to about 700Hz.

I think we definitely have different taste ;)

I had the same feeling when I tried it, but baffle step and the larger baffle helped to keep it flat. No dips and smooth take over by the woofer. Baffle is 35 X 35cm. My wife does not think I listen quietly.... ;)

Before this I listened to the Scanspeak Reference Monitor which is flat as possible. So my reference is o.k.

Reponse of my Neo8PDR in open baffle (all between -3db/+3db)
URL]

(Low 16khz has to do with microphone)

I have heard this unit in the Martin Logan mosaic speaker (neo8 + neo3 in a diploe with a 8" metal woofer crossing rather low at 450 Hz and 3200Hz) - it was very musical and open - a speaker I could live with !

This might just be a tricky driver to use, but it can sound good !

Hi Jeroenkv,
Outstanding performance!!
I am surprised because my Neo8PDR measure quite different...
With a baffle 27cm wide and a big rear closed box(stuffed) mine are flat 800-5500Hz, at 400Hz = - 8 dB plus the peak at 12KHz is another
+ 8 dB. (Anechoic simulated) Good agree with BG data.
Now you are dipole and sure you have done great work with driver position/offset/baffle and also you are" in room measurement", but the difference is "suspect" to my eyes.
How much precision can have the DSP8024 ?
Anyway best two measuring more than one less! :)

Cheers,
Inertial

Reilumeininki said:
Anyone measured this unit after last post,new projects maybe?Before i buy these and try to get flat response for this driver I want to know:Is it really worth it?

Here are some measurements on the Neo 8 (not the PDR version):

http://www.diyspeakers.net/projects.php

In particular look at Justus Verhagen's measurements - they appear to be the most accurate and are very similar to BG's own measurements. Though its difficult to tell (because of the way the graph is displayed), they actually correlate well with Jean Claude Gaertner's series of Neo 8's. Ray Wagner's measurements however look VERY different and I wouldn't rely on them at all.

IMO its just a matter of using the driver correctly..

1. Do NOT have anything near the driver that would impead air flow, chances are this means open baffle - BUT that isn't neccesarily so.

2. Look at the driver's off-axis performance to determine the listening axis. For the standard Neo 8 thats about 45 degrees off of the driver's primary axis. Do NOT be fooled by the off-axis (45 degree response) response at higher freq.s - the driver should have plenty of high freq. response due to in-room spl and linesource radiation character (..though this wouldn't be the case if you listened in the near field).

3. Judge how you will integrate another driver carefully. IF you want to use the Neo 8 down to lower freq.s then you will likely need a shelving circut that cuts the response from about 2.5 to 12 kHz. If you want to use a mid/woofer much higher up then consider the -3db point around 1.8 kHz and design appropriatly for that dip in spl.

4. Recognize that how you load the driver will alter its freq. response - particularly below 2 kHz. In this case if you don't like the rising response near resonance then pehaps consider an open baffle that is a little less wide (to start the dipole loss in spl a little higher in freq. response). A program like the Edge can help here with that (..even though it spec's a round driver).

http://www.tolvan.com/edge/

With a minimum of effort and build complexity I think you could come up with something that was quite good with the Neo 8.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.