B&C DE250 comparison on XT1086

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Horizons said:

Are these prices for your waveguides per pair (I hope)?

http://www.gedlee.com/waveguides.htm

Sorry, no, thats each.

kstrain said:

A bigger waveguide say 12" would be easier and better, if you can get one. I only tried the XT1086 due to lack of alternatives.

Ken

Ken - I sell 12" waveguides and 15" ones per above. They are not as cheap as the injection molded XT1086, but they are much better devices.

gedlee said:

Ken - I sell 12" waveguides and 15" ones per above. They are not as cheap as the injection molded XT1086, but they are much better devices.

Thanks Earl, I know you sell them, and am sure they are better, for at least 3 reasons, though how much better in each respect is hard to judge. I have been tempted to buy a pair of 12" waveguides since before you first offered the poly version for sale. I got the XT1086s before those were available.

Unfortunately the cost of your waveguides (to the UK) is currently prohibitive (though I do not rule out a future purchase).

Ken

There are differences between various horns, to be sure. But in general, a CD horn should provide the power response of the driver within the pattern. What you're really doing is to compensate the power response of the driver, which is flat to about 4kHz and then falls off at 6dB/octave.

Horns tend to modify response most at the low end, where they start having fairly well defined pipe modes and directivity gets weird. I would not use a horn that low. They also sometimes have differences at higher frequencies, usually as a result of some kind of discontinuity. This causes internal reflections which modify the impedance, response and directivity. But in general, as long as a horn is used at a high enough frequency and it is CD, it will deliver the power response of the driver throughout its coverage pattern.

The biggest differences are in compression drivers. Some have relatively high amplitude breakup modes at high frequency, and this causes them to sound shrill when used with a full 6dB/octave augmentation. They tend to sound better with a little less.

The crossover at the link below works very well with drivers that have reasonably behaved breakup. I use it with the DE250. It provides flat response up to 4kHz and 6dB/octave augmentation above that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.