B&C Compression Driver and Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where can I buy those cheap chinese drivers?

Hi Earl

Thanks
Drivers are a commodity, I can make a good system out of any of them - as long as they meet some minimum standards. I have done systems with drivers over a range of about 10:1 in price and found that none of them made much difference. I evaluated a compression driver from China that was a virtual copy of the DE250, worked pretty well - it was $15

Since the drivers are not the most important factor, I would love to try those cheap drivers. Where can I find them?

Thanks

He bought the foam plug from me. Col - I think that the foam looks better if you sand a spherical surface in it.

And as to the throat correction you said "The active EQ of the DEQ2496 dealt with the rest." - EQ cannot correct the problems created by a poor throat as these are time, frequency and spatially dependent issues which no EQ can correct.

I don't think the Dayton "waveguide" is very correct. I'm surprised how different they sounded when I put the foam plug in and re-EQ'd. Also, I built the backs up with car filler to stop them ringing.

I don't mind the foam plugs sticking out a little bit, sanding seemed to be a bit awkward and I didn't want to damage them. I think if I tried to remove them now the glue would rip big chunks out of them.

I'm quite happy with how the speakers sound and they have worked out to cost around AU$750 for the pair, which I think is very reasonable for what Iv'e got.

They play very loud and clear. The best thing I like about them is that you don't have to be sitting directly in front of them for the sweet spot. I can pretty much be anywhere in my listening room and it all sounds sweet :D

Would be good to do some measurements, with something other than the DEQ2496. Anyone have any suggestions software wise? I have a ECM8000 and a phantom powered pre-amp/mixer I can use. Plus, I have either a Linux or a XP computer I can hook up via a USB soundcard.

col.

col said:
I don't think the Dayton "waveguide" is very correct. I'm surprised how different they sounded when I put the foam plug in and re-EQ'd.

People keep talking the waveguide contours as if the shapes are something magical. To me at least 1/2 of the improvment in the more modern approach to waveguides IS the foam plug. Many people are using horn/waveguides now, but very few are using foam and I just find that without the foam "your not quite there".

col said:
I read in another thread somewhere that if the waveguides are not correct the effect that the foam plugs has is even more pronounced than with a correct waveguide. I have no evidence to back that up but I think in my case with the Daytons it may be right.

I'm just guessing at how the foam will affect "other" waveguides, its likely different in every case. My point is that its a profound effect on any good waveguide. Most people seem to be missing this fact.

Last night I went to a freinds house who has an old set of JBL SR8's. I found the horn intolerably harsh and suggest that maybe some foam might help. We cut a piece and stuffed it down the horn. Better! We put a block of it on the outside where the acoustic lens was. Better yet! But there was still some residual harshness that I did not like. So, yes, foam always seems to help, but can it fix a disaster - sorry no.

col said:
yes, I think so. I have no idea how you would measure the improvement though, especially seeing you have to re-EQ after fitting them.
How much eq did you had to add (at each frequency, if you have th data)?
How does this setup compare to your previous one (the one with the cheap JBL PT waveguide) ?

I am thinking about trying to add some of this foam in the diffraction slot (the part where the wall are parallel) of my H9800 clones (the horns of the JBL K2 S9800).

Here is its profile, side view :
attachment.php

Earl, do you think it would be beneficial? Is the diffraction slot the better place for this plug? I am a little afraid of adding too much foram, because I already need more than 20dB compensation to get flat to 15khz without any foam. This horn is basically an improved version the one in the 4430.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.