AXPONA 2024 attendees?

Greetings from the Refined Audio room 745 at Axpona. Please come and visit us.

We will be playing records with a Pass Labs XP-17 Phono preamp and XP-12 line level preamp into a First Watt SIT 4 and Cube Audio full range speakers.

There will also be a demo of the latest proof of concept E-Beast electrostatic headphone amplifier along with a mock-up of the upcoming production model.
IMG_5006.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Now that AXPONA 2024 is in the rear view mirror, I thought I would share the information on "The Beast" that the Refined Audio folks were so kind to share. (I sure hope I get all the info correct!)

1 - The input uses complimentary pairs of K170's and J74 JFET's as a buffer, which feeds the Cinemag input transformer.
2 - The J113 JFETS are arranged in pairs of two, using one JFET to bias the other as followers in unity gain. (I think they said it has 124 JFET's per channel) They provide the current for the amplifier which will produce 5 watts out of the speaker connections on the back panel.
3 - The voltage is provided by the output transformers (v3.0) which are hand made, silver core, 40 AWG using Bees wax instead of varnish. The output transformer is dual primary and secondaries.
4 - The volume control is from Poland and uses relays and precision resistors, a very satisfying series of clicks are heard when raising and lowering the volume. I really like the volume display, very different yet the same digital display. They are not happy with the fact there is no balance control in the volume control assembly. (Since I'm not into headphones, I guess that would be important.)
5 - The headphone amp is designed to drive electro-static headphones.
6- The version close to production was next to the prototype, not nearly as nice looking as the prototype they refer to as the "toaster".

Production, marketing, branding are all "in progress", maybe next year we will see the final production version in the Refined Audio room of AXPONA 2025.

Reactions: 1 user