Autoranger for soundcards

This is a very good solution, thanks for that!
For the next batch I shall adapt the footprint so both will fit.
The different versions are only for compatibility with some NEC and other brand relays. Absolutely electrically the same.

BTW Nice clean soldering on the opamps.

Jan
Hi Jan,
thank you! Too bad I did not think to make pics during the bending of the pins....
and it indeed it was a chore to solder the LTC chip - even using chipquick and hot air.
i havent managed to actually test it yet, last thing is finding a BNC that can fit the hole of the pin jack socket for SE operation, the AR just turns on and displays ... well something, i will post a pic once I get back home ad I am traveling for work , so maybe you can tell me if everything is OK.
for now I’m satisfied!

IMG20220224115815.jpg
IMG20220224115823.jpg
IMG20220224115839.jpg
IMG20220224115847.jpg
IMG20220224115942.jpg

Hi all, just using my Autoranger and on switch on my Vo and Vi aren't on 0?

Also when I adjust the dB level it changes?

I went to linear audios site but can't access the manual or instructions for this version.

any help or advice appreciated!

OK, time for some diagnostics! Please connect a 1V source, 1kHz, to the SE input.
Select HLD, then use the SE and Bal buttons to set the unit to 0dB.
What output level do you measure at the SE output?

Jan

1v at 1khz output at se is 0.995v display shows vo as 1.29 and vi as 1.29 so it needs calibrating?

Attachments

• IMG20220224145921.jpg
    IMG20220224145921.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's no calibration. Do you have the User Guide?
I'll send you some test points later today.

Edit I'll do it right now. With the 0dB 1V situation as above, please measure the AC signal at pin 1 of U2, the AD635.
Be careful not to short any pins.
Also measure DC voltage at test point VP10 as shown.
You can use TP4 as the ground pin for your meter.

Jan

Attachments

• 536.PNG
    536.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Edit I'll do it right now. With the 0dB 1V situation as above, please measure the AC signal at pin 1 of U2, the AD635.

Jan
Thanks I'll try and get this done later today.

Jan
Hi Jan

AC signal voltage at pin 1 on U2 is 0.997v
DC at vp10 is 1.009V

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, that's how it looks, that there's an issue with a relay. The software works, the analog chain works, the RMS to DC converter works.

I can think of two possible issues: the -6dB relay K2 is inserted wrong way around, or the flat cable between the two boards has an issue.
Let's try another relay, K3. With 1V in, 0dB and 1V out, switch the setting to -12dB. If K3 works (and the flat cable is OK) the output should drop to about 0.25V.
It's anyway a good idea to check polarity of the relays and the seating of the flat cable.

Jan

yes at -12, correct seems k3 works as voltage drops to 0.25v.

Cable seems to be pushed all the way down and in. Orientation of relay seems fine?
Yes, that's how it looks, that there's an issue with a relay. The software works, the analog chain works, the RMS to DC converter works.

I can think of two possible issues: the -6dB relay K2 is inserted wrong way around, or the flat cable between the two boards has an issue.
Let's try another relay, K3. With 1V in, 0dB and 1V out, switch the setting to -12dB. If K3 works (and the flat cable is OK) the output should drop to about 0.25V.
It's anyway a good idea to check polarity of the relays and the seating of the flat cable.

Jan
IMG20220225094244.jpg
IMG20220225094302.jpg

Yes correct seems k3 works as voltage drops to 0.25v.

Cable seems to be pushed all the way down and in. Orientation of relay seems fine?
IMG20220225094705.jpg

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes seems fine. Can you verify that the command to relay K4 switches when you go from 0dB to -6dB, pin 16 of U1 (the relay driver).
If that works, it might be the K4 relay or possibly a forgotten solder pin on K4, happens to the best of us.
If that doesn't work it might be a wire of the flat cable not correctly connected.
In that case, check that the relay command switches at pin 11 of the processor chip, this is not easy to test that, be careful of shorts.
You can also check this at pin 2 of the header if you remove the cable from the display board.

Jan

Attachments

• pin16.PNG
    pin16.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 75
  • pin2hdr.PNG
    pin2hdr.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 64
Yes seems fine. Can you verify that the command to relay K4 switches when you go from 0dB to -6dB, pin 16 of U1 (the relay driver).
So use tp4 as before with my DMM and measure at pin 16 of U1 in DC?

If that works, it might be the K4 relay or possibly a forgotten solder pin on K4, happens to the best of us.
If that doesn't work it might be a wire of the flat cable not correctly connected.
In that case, check that the relay command switches at pin 11 of the processor chip, this is not easy to test that, be careful of shorts.
How do I check the rely command?

You can also check this at pin 2 of the header if you remove the cable from the display board.

Jan
Checked soldering and it's all there.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20220225105143.jpg
    IMG20220225105143.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 89