Autoranger for soundcards

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, straight conversion to US dollars? Plus some shipping charges? Just want to make sure before I commit on the list.

Thanks

If you use paypal the conversion is done automagically if you pay in € and have a $US or any other account. Not the best rate, but I don't know how to do otherwise, and at that amount the differences should be small anyway.

I need to pay my bills in € so that's my calculation.

I don't know yet the shipping charges but I expect about 6 to 7 euri flat, tracked.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have been tryingh to update both this thread as well as my personal website at https://linearaudio.nl/la-autoranger but it's just double work with scope for differences.

So I decided to keep the website updated, and will flag here if there is an update. So we all sing from the same sheet, so to say.

I just updated https://linearaudio.nl/la-autoranger to give some more detail on the additional through-hole parts you neeed to source and solder to complete the unit. Next will be a Mouser BoM for them.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Guys, apologies, but I made a mistake: it was pointed out to me that the Belgian government will take 21% VAT from all sales in Europe. Assuming half of the people who want one will be in Europe and half outside, I split the difference and had to add 10%. New final is € 209. Sorry for not taking that in account at the beginning.....

Jan

Guys, apologies, but I made a mistake: it was pointed out to me that the Belgian government will take 21% VAT from all sales in Europe. Assuming half of the people who want one will be in Europe and half outside, I split the difference and had to add 10%. New final is € 209. Sorry for not taking that in account at the beginning.....

Jan

Over here, VAT is collected from the recipient upon receipt. Is this not the case in the EU? So people outside the EU may be paying double VAT?
It seems reasonable for recipients to be responsible for VAT depending on their own location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jan

Seems to me that if you can manage a separate line item for shipping cost you can also manage a separate line item for VAT.

Come to dive a little deeper, when it comes time to do the actual tax accounting, no doubt, you will have a separate row on the spreadsheet for the units sold in the EU and only pay VAT on those units.

Yes all true. For me it would be no big thing to charge people outside EU the € 188, for my cost, but then I need to charge people inside the EU € 238, and I have to turn over € 50 of that to the Belgian government. Give or take a few cents.

Jan

Actually, if you had not mentioned your calculations in detail, probably we would not mind the slight increase in price, more of a perception issue. Depending on where you have them manufactured, VAT can be complicated. For example, I pay my suppliers VAT, the I collect VAT from sales. These would sum up to be different and need to be taken into consideration in detail if you do not have some profit margin. We don't want you to lose money on good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You know, I am not a trader or businessman. Of course I need to pay VAT to the people that make the PCB and put on the parts. But I assume that it is cancelled by the VAT I collect and have to turn over to the government so I don't lose on that. In my calculations I assume that is how it will be, but somehow I always end up with less than I thought :mad:

My proposal is to forget about all this and we just use the € 209 for all orders and I keep my fingers crossed and pay the government whatever comes out of the mix?

Jan

Jan,

I know you do this for love.
But there is no reason that you have all this work, and still risk losing money in the end.
Especially if it has to come from your pension.

People don't know how much donkey work there is to make such a thing available to hobbyists.
If anything, they should be grateful that they can buy one in the first place.

I thought you would have put it on Kickstarter, like the SilentSwitcher.
Save you some work ....

Cheers,
Patrick

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,

I know you do this for love.
But there is no reason that you have all this work, and still risk losing money in the end.
Especially if it has to come from your pension.

People don't know how much donkey work there is to make such a thing available to hobbyists.
If anything, they should be grateful that they can buy one in the first place.

I thought you would have put it on Kickstarter, like the SilentSwitcher.
Save you some work ....

Cheers,
Patrick

Kickstarter takes almost 10%.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Placed the order for the attenuator boards with the SMD parts.

Jan

Attachments

• bare board.PNG
    bare board.PNG
    104.7 KB · Views: 317