Aurum Cantus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Aussie distributer is Final Link Audio. The crossover I have at the moment is 3k, but I would like to go a bit lower because the tweeter can easily handle it. I have not tried the AC130/50CK yet because I am currently indisposed with a broken rib and can barely lift the driver, let alone remove the old one and install the new one in the cabinet. I am just sitting at the computer because it is the most comfortable chair and staring at the driver on my desk while the old ones play in the background. Is incredibly frustrating.

Ouch, I can imagine your frustration.
I gather then Final Link sell drivers as well? If so can I ask how much the AC130/50 are?
Can you tel me the other drivers in your system & how you would rate the Aurums against any others you have come across (im tossing up between the Aurums & Peerless HDS).
Thanks, Andrew.

Please contact Final Link Audio for prices.

I have some of the SEAS L series (aluminium) and a VASS electrostatic. The AC drivers easily beat the SEAS and have many of the characteristics of the electrostatic that I like - i.e. very smooth midrange and superb imaging. The best way to describe the sound is accurate sound of acoustic instruments which is what electrostatics do so well. I was really surprised at how much better than the SEAS they sound. Difficult to say how it is going to measure up against the electrostatic just yet because I have not finalised the crossover, but comparing any dynamic driver to an electrostatic is a tough test, few even come close. No idea about the Peerless since I have not heard them.

With the right crossover, the L-Series sound fantastic but as I've said many times, the Aurum Cantus woofers are definately underutilized by the DIY community. I just gave a listen to my AC200MK2 again and the mids are full and fantastic. I really like this driver even though it's QTS is low. (.23)

Here are some pictures. With the grill on. They are designed for maximum WAF factor so a grill was essential and the grill is an integral part of the design. They are a wedding present for my step daughter. The grill incorporates thick woolen felt to reduce diffraction effects, and the cabinet is constructed from solid Jarrah and finished with a hand rubbed oil finish. The vertical line is inlayed Tasmanian Myrtle to make the front look a bit more interesting. The other speaker is my Vass electrostatic.

Attachments

• front just finished400.jpg
    front just finished400.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 491
With the grill off. You can see the North Creek D28 tweeter here which contrary to popular opinion is not a rebadged Usher. I have seen pictures of the Ushers and this tweeter is completely different. It has a "made in America" sticker on it, and build quality is the best I have seen in a tweeter. The woofer is the AC130Mk2.

Attachments

• grill_off400.jpg
    grill_off400.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 544
Well I've been modeling the Aurum Cantus AC200MK2 in BassBox Pro and getting quite different readings than I thought I would.
The software suggests a small closed box of .246 cu. ft. QTC = .707 QL = 20 F3 = 92.02
or
Vented box of .627 cu. ft. Fb = 39.66 F3 = 57.08 with a vent which measures 3.31'' x 21.16'' (one flush end)

So, am I the only one who thinks this is weird?

Well I couldn't stand it any longer. I put the AC-200mk in one of my test boxes and matched it with a Vifa DX25TG-05-04, one of my favourite tweeters.
THE BOX IS 1.5 CU. FT
LIGHT FILL
VENT = 1'' X 8'' X 14''
BOX = 19.5''H X 11''W X 16''D
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa7/linggowa/AC200MK--VIFA-DX25TG-05.jpg
The x-over is 1st. order on the woofer with EQ. x = 1500hz
3rd. order on the tweeter. x = 2500hz
Still playing with the Pad.

Test Music is as follows:
Bird York : Remedy
Bare Naked Ladies: Lovers In A Dangerous Time
Keane: Emily
Maroon 5: Kiwi
Sade: Lover's Rock
David Dray: Babylon
Peter Tosh: Johnny B Good
Allison Krauss: When You Say Nothing At All
Blue October: X-Amount Of Words
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Daughtry: Breakdown
Eva Cassidy: Fields Of Gold
Frou Frou: Let Go
Snow Patrol: Grazed Knees
R.Kelly: Gotham City
Eagles: Seven Bridges Road
Johnny Lang: Lie to Me
Kenny Wayne Shepard: Blue On Black

Conclusion:
There's not much here not to like.
I like this driver. Mids are great, but don't look for that deep base that you would get with other drivers this size, such as the Eton 8'' etc.
I have the AC playing in the background right now and I have to say the more I listen the more I like it. The Vifa seems to be a good match for sure.
Money well spent.
OK, I'm going to listen some more.

Well I finally at long last got around to measuring the AC130Mk2 and AC130/50CK. The manufacturer's graphs are quite misleading. The new driver is a big improvement on the old. Both have an impressive ruler flat response through to breakup but the breakups are quite different. The AC130MK2 has two large breakup peaks at 5Khz and 7.5Khz of equal magnitide. These are roughly 10db up so are a real problem in the crossover. The new AC130/50CK on the other hand has breakups at 10Khz and 15Kz and these are down about 4db and 8 db. the response is ruler flat right out to 7Khz. MUCH easier to crossover and should go well with a ribbon tweeter (surprise surprise). Impressive, very nice driver. I like it.

Looking closely at the new driver I notice that the cone is not a flat profile. The cone is curved, and it curves into the dust cap. This might be how they have managed to control the breakups so well. Just a bit of speculation.

Thats exciting news, I was quite disappointed looking at the graphs on ACs website.
BTW did you get the square frame verison of the AC130/50ck & if so can you tell me dimensions (is it the same as the AC130MkII)??

Keep us updated on your project!
thanks, Andrew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.