• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nycavsr2000 said:
Have you posted your impressions of the USB version of your dac? I'm curious as the schematic looks greatly simplified (no SPDIF!! conversion needed!). The board looks beautiful, on my short list to order, even though I'm enjoying your SPDIF version of your dac. Lots of PRAT!

The circuit is about as complicated as the other DAC. The signature is very similar too, as you mentioned, PRAT is a strong feature of that DAC.

I still need to configure my PC for otpimum playback though.

Actually the USB version will be cheaper as there is less "exotic" components here. Presently, the complete kit, as pictured, is USD$200. Later I might bring the price up. All parts are in stock for immediate shipment.

Attachments

• usb1.jpg
    usb1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,240
Yes, I can supply those.

Peter Daniel said:
Actually the USB version will be cheaper as there is less "exotic" components here. Presently, the complete kit, as pictured, is USD$200. Later I might bring the price up. All parts are in stock for immediate shipment.

Of course, as before, transformer and Cardas dual RCAs are extra ($30 and $20 respectively)

I am building one of your 4780 kits, but am having a problem.

I hooked up one of the power supply boards to make sure that everything is hooked up and working, but it smoked a few of the diodes and blew the capacitors off of the board. I can't see my error, the only thing that I can think of would be the caps being on backwards, but I am pretty sure that they're on correctly. Can you look at the picture and tell me if you can see my problem. I haven't connected the power supply board and chip board, and didn't on the one that I smoked either. I am using this transformer. The picture is of the board that I haven't hooked up yet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

phatcenter77 said:
The picture is of the board that I haven't hooked up yet.

The black stripe indicates metal tap on the diodes, yours are reversed. This is how they supposed to be mounted: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=636576&stamp=1115409640

I understand where the confusion may be coming from. I didn't post the pictures of rectifier board for LM4780 chip, only for LM3875 and those have diodes mounted opposite way. Just look for black stripes indicating proper orientation.

Transformer selection; interaction between speaker impedence/supply voltage/power out

Hello,

I'm trying to decide what power supply voltage (and thus transformer rating and heat sink) to use with one of Peter's LM3875 kits.

He posted previously that the higher the rail voltage, the better the amp sounds. My speakers are nominally 8 Ohm, 96db/1W, two-way passive. Although I don't have a Z-curve to see how far Z varies, I am aware that it could be well below 8 Ohms in places.

Page 10 of the datasheet for the LM3875 (http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM3875.pdf) shows the attached graph of output power vs supply voltage, for R=4,6 and 8 Ohms, but for a purely resistive load.

Now, 2x25V transformer will give ~±35V rail voltage (1.4 x Va, minus diode losses I put at zero).

Let's assume that Z drops to 6 Ohms from, say, 300-1000Hz, but is higher elsewhere - leading to the nominal 8 Ohm rating.

With rail voltage at 35V, one infers from the R=6 Ohm curve that the chip could supply only 20W at those frequencies, but nearly 60W at frequencies where Z was 8 Ohms.

I don't fully understand the interactions between these variables or whether this inference is well founded. (Or if I should be concerned at all - no-one seems to experience this :eek:)

Any comments?

I've contacted the speaker manufacturer for a Z curve, but if one is not forthcoming, how could I measure it myself?

Back to transformers, here in Switzerland I can source Block, Intronic, Sedlbauer and Toroid. Any comments on these manufacturers?

And finally, is 300VA overkill for dual monoblocks? My speakers roll off quite high and I have an active mono sub (which won't be powered by a GC, for now). I'm looking for dynamics/detail with the GCs and understand that a lower VA transformer might be more apt if weighty bass is less of any issue...

With thanks to Peter for sharing his expertise, and to anyone who can comment.

Steve

PS BTW, National say the non-isolated LM3875T (Peter supplies the isolated LM3875TF) will be obsoleted in favour of the LM3886T next year: http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3875.html#Datasheet

Would should I order from you to replace the parts that I ruined, and what would it cost? All I need is a single power supply board and parts.

I need just one power supply board, and related parts. If I need to order a complete PCB set that's fine.

Can I just pay-pal you the money with a note about what i am ordering as well as an address and such?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.