• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Destroyer OS. said:
Peter do you sell the insulated or non-insulated 3875 chip?

I want to use arctic silver onto some brass bus bar, but I am not sure if I need some sort of non-conducting pad.

What size fuse would you recommend on the power inlet side?

Id buy the Insulated ones for sure.

I am planning on using a Deflex pad to isolate the transformer, and a Deflex washer, from putting to many vibrations into the board everything will be mounted on.

I also thought it might be wise to do this to the heavy brass bus bar I plan to use for heat sinks.... What does anyone think, Peter? My thoughts are to use something like Deflex to absorb vibrations from the transformer, to keep away from the 3875 chips. The board itself will however be on cones to eliminate vibrations from a rack or whatever it is on...

The only other idea I have is to seperate the "power supply" from the amp board. This is not something I originally was interested in. This would allow me to hard mount everything to do with the amps themselves though, and still have it be on cones.

My personal experience tells me IC's like as little vibration as possible, so something to dampen them is a good idea. Dead weight might work to reduce vibrations, but I have no idea how to do that, I can only see dampening as a solution.

Thoughts, anyone?

Oh yeah with a 24vx2 400VA transformer, impedence... Can anyone think of a concern as to input from a squeeze box? I imagine not but it is a concern that has to be addressed.

If you install transformer in a same enclosure as the amp, it's a good idea to isolate it mechanically. Some people suggest not to use magnetic bolts to mount the transformer, but I didn't experiment with that yet.

As to the amp section itself, it's really hard to say if it's better to use soft pads or rigid support. I tent to prefer the hard support, usually with brass cones. I also use bronze standoffs for the amp boards.

A good example of that approach is the amp described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=879156#post879156 I'm using soft rubber to support one end, but there is still a cone that allows a mechanical single point contact with a mechanical ground.

I tried soft suspentions all around, but it never sounded right to me.

Too much damping for the chip is not good either. I used to use a copper clamps to attach chip to the heatsink, but later found out that the sound becomes "too dead" and not airy enough, so now only a single screw is being used. I also prefer the isolated chip package as it seems to be less bright than non isolated package (in that case damping seems to be beneficial). If I mount the chip like in a picture here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=636565#post636565 I'm still using 2 washers under the copper bar, to isolate main chip body from the bar (so the pressure is only at the screw sides)

I'm not sure about advantage of dual transformers over a single one. If I build for myself, I usually choose dual mono, but I never found a single transformer powering two channels to be lacking in any way, so both approaches are fine, depending on how complicated you want it to be. But use a single rectifier board in that case one transformer is used, as it's reported to sound better than two boards powered from a single trafo.

You are using brass for the heatsink right, but bronze plates for mounting (fancy)?

I guess I might have to think about a few ideas to hard-mount the heat sinks (I planned on suspended via heatskin amp boards, or should they be mounted to the board as well?) like some sort of isloation pad between the transformer piece of the board and amplification piece.

I doubt induced magnatism from a transformer, on a bolt going through it, could actually make the bolt cause an effect that reaches out past the transformer... I suppose maybe it could have an effect on the transformer itself though.

The heatsink is from bronze as well. The choice of standoffs was coincidential, as I found them in a local surplus store.

However, I would not recommend bronze for heatsink: it's too expensive with very poor thermal conductivity. You should be probably better off with copper. As to the influence of the material itself on the sound, well, that is another matter.

Proximity of transformer to amp board does not present a problem and any special shielding is not really required.

The best is to experiment with different setups and choose best sounding option.

I do not get to expermint with this one...

What do you think of a ground tap on the copper heatsink?

I was originally going to use a small piece of copper bus bar with a ground tap to shield the amp side from the transformer. If shielding is a non-existant issue than I can skip it I suppose. I have no idea how much influence beyond the transformer itself, can it produce.

Perhaps that is a bad description... (every one on this board goes back and forth on electrical and electronic, then a bunch of made up language all the time)

An earth ground straight to the bus bar. Then no grounding to the earth ground except for this, and perhaps two two million ohm resistors to bleed off the capacitors intead of into the speakers when the amplifier is turned off?

My idea is to keep this huge (relative) copper bar from getting too much induced signals from the outside right up next to the 3875 chip itself.

When you say ground it appears in most of your stuff you are talking about the negative, or common, and you are tieing it all together to make it easy to work with an umbilical cord, or fancy wiring scheme, from what I understand.

Peter said:

I'm not sure about advantage of dual transformers over a single one. If I build for myself, I usually choose dual mono, but I never found a single transformer powering two channels to be lacking in any way, so both approaches are fine, depending on how complicated you want it to be. But use a single rectifier board in that case one transformer is used, as it's reported to sound better than two boards powered from a single trafo.

Peter, does this apply to transformers with dual secondaries? That is, I have a Plitron with dual 20V secondaries and was going to wire the boards (when they arrive) as dual mono. Are you recommending against this?

Thanks.

Aengus

Destroyer OS. said:
Perhaps that is a bad description... (every one on this board goes back and forth on electrical and electronic, then a bunch of made up language all the time)

An earth ground straight to the bus bar. Then no grounding to the earth ground except for this, and perhaps two two million ohm resistors to bleed off the capacitors intead of into the speakers when the amplifier is turned off?

My idea is to keep this huge (relative) copper bar from getting too much induced signals from the outside right up next to the 3875 chip itself.

When you say ground it appears in most of your stuff you are talking about the negative, or common, and you are tieing it all together to make it easy to work with an umbilical cord, or fancy wiring scheme, from what I understand.

Since my PS is separate, I'm not connecting earth ground to the amp (ground or chassis). The chassis is grounded off the output ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.