• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Destroyer OS. said:
Peter do your dual monoblock or any amplifiers that have dual power supplies ever pick up any RF without R1?

IIRC, RF was always eliminated by installing small cap between inverting and non invertin chip inputs. I never had this problem, but some customers had and that fix worked well.

Another thing, it seems that the amp with smaller caps at the chip is more sensitive to RF pickup. I've built numerous commercial amps in a past with large caps and none of them was picking RF.

Peter, i find the -computer as a transport- posts in this thread
very interesting. Enough to plow through the mountains of posts
over on the AA forum. The biggest problem with computers is the
available component parts change every 6 months (or sooner!)

By the time you have a stable test bed that's been tweaked for the
best sound - no one new to the game can duplicate your work,
because every part you used is no longer in production!

On the other hand i've been using your DAC since just about day
one (without turning it off), and it still sound great... YEARS later : )

m.

moe29 said:
On the other hand i've been using your DAC since just about day
one (without turning it off), and it still sound great... YEARS later : )

I remember, you were one of the first customers for NOS DAC ;)

You can still get all the out of production stuff off an ebay, that's were I do all my shopping. Just the other day I received brand new GA-G31M-S2L (sourced in UK) and I'll be setting another system.

My present one is quite satisfying though, and runs fanless.

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,405
Two in one?

Dear Peter,
I am one of your many satisfied customers (using your Chip amp, phono stage and DAC). Is there, however, a possibility to add a USB input to the NOS DAC in addition to the ordinary input? Since the possibility of listening to music on the Internet is increasing, I want to connect my lap top to the DAC. Could it be possible to add a switch in order to move back and forth between the ordinary input from CDplayer/DAC-combo and an USB input?

Best wishes
Jan Ove from Norway

Well, the easiest way would be adding HagUsb and selecting SPDIF inputs to your NOS DAC: http://hagtech.com/hagusb.html

There are certain compromises here though, and if you want to do it really well, another option would be adding USB DAC front end board on top of your SPDIF DAC section and power both boards from a same PS. You can use two separate RCA pairs or just one and select either output with a toggle switch.

Attachments

• dual dac.jpg
    dual dac.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,209
le´flu said:
Hi Jan Ove,
could you say something about the phono you´ve build? What parts did you use,
what cartridge do you listen with MM or MC? What do you take for MC-MM Stepup?
Could you post some pictures?

Greetings ulf

Hi Ulf
The phono was a buy from Peter. He build the amp according to the schematics he gives a link to above. In an earlier post he also showed a picture of it: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1123223&stamp=1170434838

This is a very good phono amp. I love it very much. Since I got it almost two years ago, my CD player and Peter's NOS DAC have been rarely used :cannotbe:

I use a Denon 304 moving coil mounted in an Audio Origami modified Rega RB250 on a DIY Lenco L75. The signal from the Denon has to be stepped up before the phono amp. When Peter uses S & B transformers to do this I use the more affordable Cinemag CMQEE-3440A transformers.

These were mounted in a small cabinet and plays very good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This item shows not the neat and tidy soldering and component placing you are used to see here in Peter's thread. Sorry....

Regards
Jan Ove

Peter Daniel said:
Well, the easiest way would be adding HagUsb and selecting SPDIF inputs to your NOS DAC: http://hagtech.com/hagusb.html

There are certain compromises here though, and if you want to do it really well, another option would be adding USB DAC front end board on top of your SPDIF DAC section and power both boards from a same PS. You can use two separate RCA pairs or just one and select either output with a toggle switch.

Thank you Peter,
And your USB dac front end will set me back $ 250?

Regards
Jan Ove

quick question about the 3875 board:

Can I expect to see any significant temperatures on the nfb resistor? I ask because I opted to mount it directly to the transistor pins on the underside of the board and as I'm building it is I notice it's going to be about 1mm from mdf in my enclosure.

I believe I used a 1W resistor but I may be mistaken and it could be 1.5W. I don't have it handy to check the part used.

Peter Daniel said:
When I was coming up with a new PS board, I didn't really suspect how many possible implementations would be available. Here's one such example. This is a back panel of Patek standard PS. It's made out of 1/2 thick polypropylene board (used on boats for flooring); the material is very easy to machine and still flexible enough, so tight fit in metal tubing is easily achievable.

There are holes made to insert BG 1000u caps, those caps support rectifiers board with output connected to Neutric female socket. Four AC wires connect from transformer.

Sorry going back a ways. I notice you appear to have the wires soldered onto the cap terminals as well there? What's the story with that? Also, the points on the pcb for underside caps... they're the wide ones on either side of the "C1" marking correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.