• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps I will try another earth ground.

The green nub is gone, everything in that area is cleaned up. It was leftover from my grounding experience with earth ground that made massive amounts of noise in the system, that I then connected to neutral, then soldered other grounds too for awhile trying things.

The safe thing I could do would be to somehow make a drain for the capacitors and chassis to neutral, and a fuse, oldschool pre-earth ground way but I am not going too.

AndrewT said:
HELP !

how do we advise on a safe build for a mains socket that does not have an Earth connection?

I guess you could do what major mfg do for equipment with two-prong power (no earth ground): Tie transformer secondary GND to chassis and fuse the secondaries.

I do not personally do this, but if you are looking for idiot-proof safety, there you go.

This is also dependent on your location. In the US (120V), Mains neutral is tied to GND at the electrical panel, but this can not be counted on (DO NOT TRY TO TIE NEUTRAL TO THE CHASSIS) as I have seen hundreds on outlets with Hot and Neutral reversed.

Attachments

• nikkoalpha230-ps.jpg
    nikkoalpha230-ps.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 789
How about connecting chassis to a ground rod with proper gauge wire?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

GROUND RODS: The 2002 NEC does not recognize a metal underground water pipe as a suitable “additional electrode” for supplementing a single ground rod. If the resistance of a single ground rod exceeds 25 ohms to ground and there are no suitable “additional electrodes” (Art. 250.56 refers you to Art. 250.52 (A)(2) through (A) (7)), a second ground rod must be driven (at least 6’ away). You may be required to certify the quality of your installed grounding electrode system. If you have a “single ground rod” installation and there are no other available electrodes, you can avoid such certification requests by providing an additional ground rod prior to requesting an inspection. Factors taken into consideration will be the quality of the soil, whether or not the soil has been disturbed, whether or not the rod is driven as opposed to being laid in a trench or next to a footer, etc. On jobs where a building or structure containing no available electrodes is supplied by another building, the grounding electrode (usually a ground rod) that you install will already be supplemented by the grounding electrode system at the “first” building via the installed equipment grounding conductor between buildings or the bonded neutral at the “second” building. Art. 250.56

I've always found this funny:

If the resistance of a single ground rod exceeds 25 ohms to ground

How to you measure the resistance to ground, other than the 6-8ft copper rod you just drove in? Stick a probe in the dirt?

Typical is a ground rod, then a secondary ground to the water main pipe, before the meter (which is getting tougher in newer construction because of plastic water mains).

Peter Daniel said:
Rick,

I'm checking this manual: http://photos.imageevent.com/cics/cmp/Installation Guide and User Manual.pdf
He still uses same CPU and Biostar Mobo, which is basiaclly same as previous version. Are there any other manuals?

Peter, thanks for bringing this whole cics project to our attention. I assume that you made all the operating system changes outlined in the first manual..
http://photos.imageevent.com/cics/v... art of building Computer Transports v0.3.pdf
the art of building a computer transport.
I have made the operating system changes to XP on a laptop and now running Foobar without SRC into your NOS USB DAC is nothing short of incredible. I think the biggest change came by setting a .bat file and running Foobar with explorer suspended made the biggest change.
I do plan to build a dedicated pc with all the hardware tweeks but for anyone who has your USB DAC, even a modest laptop can become an amazing transport.

wlowes said:

Peter, thanks for bringing this whole cics project to our attention. I assume that you made all the operating system changes outlined in the first manual..
http://photos.imageevent.com/cics/v... art of building Computer Transports v0.3.pdf
the art of building a computer transport.
I have made the operating system changes to XP on a laptop and now running Foobar without SRC into your NOS USB DAC is nothing short of incredible. I think the biggest change came by setting a .bat file and running Foobar with explorer suspended made the biggest change.
I do plan to build a dedicated pc with all the hardware tweeks but for anyone who has your USB DAC, even a modest laptop can become an amazing transport.

It's certainly worth attention and it's changed completely my view on computer based audio. I've built my first system exacty as described in the Art of..... and now I will be working on a second version with memory player.

I also think that USB DAC works quite surprisingly here.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sometimes your worldview shifts in a moment...

I'd planned to spend my time off during the holidays finishing up my Shigaclone... and now I'm sourcing the gear to do a memory player.

But it sounds as though it will be well worth it.

I too want to say thanks for bringing this set of techniques to our attention. For a long time, the whole PC audio scene looked like it was driven by convenience and the 'neat tech' factor. cics's techniques are very sound-quality-driven, similar to your techniques and those of others who I pay attention to, and it now looks like I'll have a new way of bringing hi-quality music into my home soon.

Sincerely, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. One question... besides the monster threads on Audio Asylum, where else can one go for good info on this. I'm not seeing a lot here on DIY Audio... much activity on this on any other forums?

I must say that I was always very sceptical about all that PC based audio. Quite by accident, on one of the European forums, somebody mentioned the Art of ....... and when I read it first time, I was already hooked. It is certainly not a casual approach and the amount of detail in his manual got me convinced to try it. Initially, it was really hard to match a quality of world class CD transport, but with more tweaks I was getting dangerously close. Presently, I'm not really tempted much to play my CDs and all current effort goes into improving PC based transport. It certainly was not an easy task, but at the end of a day, well worth it.

I didn't see much of similar info anywhere else.

e7200 at this point, no contest

Peter,

I tried the e5200. The e7200 has much more robustness. The e5200 sounded like it was working a little too hard. e7200 is completely relaxed and effortless.

I have just experimented with a board cics thought might be a replacement for what I abbreviate as the G31 board; which is what I assume you have in your possession. It is no longer manufactured. This MB was a disappointment. Going back to my G31 setup allowed me to be awed by how good this thing is, again.

As you were telling folks this is NOT about convenience. It is a perfectionist's approach to listening to music that allows a certain amount of ease in loading selections. cics never compromises quality for convenience. As you can see he is continually fielding requests to allow this and that and he patiently tells folks that he will not do THAT because it will get in the way of the best possible sound quality. A dedicated music server is useless for any other task. To repeat to those who think there is something wrong about this: did it bother you that your previous CD transport would not receive emails? You do not want to connect this thing to the internet; why risk picking up something that would require you to re-install XP PRO and re-do all of the settings? You certainly would not want NORTON ANTIVIRUS on a music computer and after the settings are made it would not work anyway but your computer would still be prone. Forgive my going in circles I wanted to be adamant about this.

cics is a lover of music and possesses a fine pair of ears.

He is about to release version 15 of cPLAY which I suspect is going to be a big deal. He has made a few hints but Thursday in a post mentioned that it is going to require something different in the hardware. I have asked him to tell us what it is so we can be ready to implement 15 when it becomes available.

I would recommend that folks considering jumping in might wait a few days and see whatever this IS. It might make a difference in what components they need to buy. He does not make a habit of "cageyness" since he has nothing to gain from any of this other than the appreciation of those who have used his software and advice.

Peter, you have too much memory. You need one "stick" of 512mB. You do not want to use the dual channel feature of the MB, either.

I cannot wait to hear what you think of the GIGABYTE G31 with JULI@. I wonder if you might find it instructive to compare your picopsu with the ANTEC EARTHWATTS EA-430. Might be worth having around. The DAC you mentioned with the 192 upsampling chip might sound better than you think when it no longer has to do this task. Though, I have read some comments about that device that were not complimentary. It seems the BurrBrown's are said to sound better.

Others looking within this thread for advice on cics's approach to computer audio need to know that cMP and CPLAY, though not departures from the ART OF COMPUTER TRANSPORTS, the advice contained within that paper is important and still used, but there has been a dramatic evolution in hardware, software, and most importantly, sound quality, since that paper.

I have a laptop so all that tweaking is probably not for me.

Anyways I unplugged my CD player from the amp and the FM went away. Now I am trying to understand why the hell my CD player is getting FM. Perhaps I need to earth ground it's chassis (did not originally have this).

Then I unplugged the hi-level in for the subwoofers and the 60hz hum was reduced to near nothing. It is still there, with just a hint of fuzz. Toroidal is real close... I would like to find one of those cans that go over them or the right steel to try around/near it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.