• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JohnM, here is a better picture of one of Peters amps, it shows the connections more clearly.. All you will have to do is disconnect one PG+ and one PG- and see if the hum goes..

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,217
Peter Daniel said:
I couldn't fit the DAC transformer inside, so additional turns (20 and 27) have been added on Plitron toroid.

Peter
Lovely piece of work.

How did you accomplish the additional turns on the Plitron. Is this a custom build by Plitron, or a customization you have made?

Do you have an opinion on the performance of this power source vs the normal hammond transformer on the DAC board?

I just added turns myself using Vampire 21ga enameled wire from Percy. I had to remove epoxy filling and it's 27 turns for DAC chip and 20 turns for input section (9V and 6V AC respectively).

I didn't compare the differences tranformers make , but when I listened to that particular amp was I quite impressed how good the USB source sounded.

It seems that placing the DAC inside the amp is a good move and I'll be building one like that for myself as well.

Peter Daniel said:

It seems that placing the DAC inside the amp is a good move and I'll be building one like that for myself as well.

Very cool! I have to think that this approach enables even more transperancy. Short, bare, hard wired signal wires have to be good. Cabinets, connectors and insulation all have the potential to get in the way of the pure sound.

Peter,

Your work is so inspiring. I knew that USB version was going to be a hit. I'm still enjoying my non-USB version of your DAC. Someday, I may make the move, however, since the SB3 has only digital RCA outs, that will be sometime since I like the Squeezebox software. I've just finished putting the final touches on a power supply for the SB3 using your PS boards fit with Jensen 4 pole capacitors. I'll post a picture here when its fully soldered together.

Best,
Anand.

LM3875 with 34Vdc power supply

Peter,

I bought some components with you before and I have completed a chipamp based on LM3875 using these components.

The amp is now powered from 34Vdc and I understand it will give me more power than if is under 25Vdc. The Lm3875 can handle the higher voltage with no problem at all. Also I really don't need the higher power. My transformer is restricted to give me 34Vdc unless I design a drop down voltage regulator to 25vdc.

My question to you is that will the amp improve the sound(eg. giving me a better high freq. response, ie maybe add a little of sparkle at the top *) if I revert to the norminal voltage of 25Vdc. What is you experience on this and your comments?

Thanks.

* I use biamping and lm 3875 is used to drive the tweeter/mid range, ie a compression drive and horn combo.

Bluto said:
What kind of camera do you use? We're in the market for a new digital and I'm always so impressed with your photos. Detail is amazing.

Well, making good photos is an art and I usually shoot 20 images or so and choose the best ones. The light is most important, and most of the images are made with natural light, often using tripod.

Few years ago I was using Olympus C-4040, later switched to Canon Pro-1 and beginning this year all my pics are from Canon 40D and 50mm lense.

ttan98 said:
My question to you is that will the amp improve the sound(eg. giving me a better high freq. response, ie maybe add a little of sparkle at the top *) if I revert to the norminal voltage of 25Vdc. What is you experience on this and your comments?

The power vs supply voltage relationship is presented in attached graph.

I did some tests before, where I was using Variac to change supply voltage and comparing the sound with different PS rails.

It was my conclusion (and two other assosiates) that the amp sounded overall better with higher voltages: more dynamic and alive.

If you use the amp for mids and highs only, the lower voltage may provide more smoothness, but it all has to be checked in a given system taking into account listener's preferences.

All my amps are built with 2 x 22V AC transformers, which gives approx 33V rails. In my personal system I run amps in bridged configuration so such voltage levels are actually preferred.

When I was using battery power, and having choice of either 2 x 12 or 3 x 12V (per rail) I always opted for the latter.

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,756
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.