Audio-Sector discussion splitoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
As I mentioned, you can also use metal case if proper standoffs are used. Why do you choose not to comprehend it?

What do you mean by that Peter?

Clearly it must be obvious that Per-Anders has a point and is right in this questioning and that you are not. The problem clearly lies in that he FULLY understands what rules and design issues are being questioned and you do not i.e. he DOES comprehend but you do not.

Personally I would, as a consumer take it as a clear insult, that my safety is disregarded.

UrSv said:

What do you mean by that Peter?

Clearly it must be obvious that Per-Anders has a point and is right in this questioning and that you are not. The problem clearly lies in that he FULLY understands what rules and design issues are being questioned and you do not.

Personally I would, as a consumer take it as a clear insult, that my safety is disregarded.

What exactly is his point? He mentioned creepage and 8mm distance. My board in metal case complies with that requirement. What else is there that I'm not aware of?

My point is: In the design process, try to get the safety issues clear so you don't have to think about this afterwards. They should be in the first room, nothing to be laughed at. Try to get the latest information in the subject. Listen what others have to say (they don't have to be right always).

How should this pcb be used and by whom?

Mains voltage, demands of enclosures, skill level of users etc.

Peter Daniel said:

What exactly is his point? He mentioned creepage and 8mm distance. My board in metal case complies with that requirement. What else is there that I'm not aware of?

Well, according to my understanding he is indeed talking about the creepage distance as well as fusing and from the pictures you have shown the board has, as it seems, several violations to those rules.

peranders said:
My point is: In the design process, try to get the safety issues clear so you don't have to think about this afterwards. They should be in the first room, nothing to be laughed at. Try to get the latest imformation in the subject. Listen what others say (they don't have to be right always).

How should this pcb be used and by whom?

Mains voltage, demands of enclosures, skill level of users etc.

Can you point out specifically, which part of design here do not comply with safety regulations? I want details, not first room info.

peranders said:
Let's not pick a fight but I'll doubt very much that it's OK to solder fuses the way you have done.

When we use soldered fuses at work we have special sockets for this so you won't melt the solder inside the fuse.

The main issue was that your pcb wasn't so good for a metal case.

Peranders, if you don't want to pick up a fight be very specific.

The way I soldered the fuse was only temporary setup for testing purpose. I already presented other fuse that is more appropriate here.

Now, I'm asking you for the last time. Why you do you claim that my pcb isn't so good for a metal case?

I request a clear and very specific answer.

I'm not picking a fight nor am I per-Anders but it should be fairly obvious.

Post 125, picture of your board, shows creepage distance between mains and chassi part clearly BELOW 8 mm. If the scale or picture is fooling the eye then my bad but it looks very clearly to be a violation of safety rules.

UrSv said:
I'm not picking a fight nor am I per-Anders but it should be fairly obvious.

Post 125, picture of your board, shows creepage distance between mains and chassi part clearly BELOW 8 mm. If the scale or picture is fooling the eye then my bad but it looks very clearly to be a violation of safety rules.

Well, it is your assumption that I'm using the assembly in post 125 in metal chassis. It is actually not the case. This assembly was used free standing, on granite plate.

If metal chassis is used, different fuse and different standoffs length will be implemented.

However, Peranders claims that the board is not good for metal chassis. Personally, I take it as an insult, to reply to your previous comment.

Peter Daniel said:

Well, it is your assumption that I'm using the assembly in post 125 in metal chassis. It is actually not the case. This assembly was used free standing, on granite plate.

If metal chassis is used, different fuse and different standoffs length will be implemented.

However, Peranders claims that the board is not good for metal chassis. Personally, I take it as an insult, to reply to your previous comment.

I'm assuming nothing but simply looking at the board. And Per-Anders is right. I'm sorry to see that you are completely missing the point, again, but perhaps that is due to my being unclear.

Per-Anders explains what I meant with my post in his post prior to this.

Please don't take my post as an insult as it was not meant as such. You have to remember that Per-Anders is a professional doing this for a living according to rules and regulations every day. There is nothing wrong with being an amateur like yourself, or myself, and learning new things.

UrSv said:
You have to remember that Per-Anders is a professional doing this for a living according to rules and regulations every day.
I know some but far from everything I should know so if someone want to correct me, enlighten me, please do so. It's a tough task to keep up with regulations that changes all the time and also know what standards. When it comes to pcb's it's a bit unclear becuase most standards are about cables and sometimes not easily transfered to a pcb. A good rule though is to have enough distance between parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.