Audio Precision System Sys1 USB Interface

Hi John,

I am still not retired :), but I started with AP S1 more than 25 years ago in Czech Radio. Now I am running my own company oriented to professional and High-End audio and video systems. Located in Prague.

Richard

Richard,

Such a shame we did not et a chance to meet when I lived in Prague - there are so few professional electronic engineers in the Czech Rep. in fact I've not met any!

If your ever near Olomouc it be great to meet, I have a little Lab here and I still dabble a little, I've been working on a small project for the past 4 years or so :) Sadly I now rarely visit Prague these days, only to the Airport when we fly in or out...

Last edited:
Hello in 2016,
A short update:

With the help of John's healing hands (he only touches my S1 and it is working like new),
i finally found the bug :).
It was a single "_" appended to a macro argument at the wrong place :deer:..

I have tested my S1 with DSP FFT, with the AP Switchers and the DCX (borrowed from John).
Anything works as expected - at least i did not found any error.

Next i will build a new apio DLL and send it to Duke, Michael and John.
If they have not given up and confirm that the interface is working i finally can finish this long going project in 2016:)

Udo

Go ! UDO, Go!

Udo, I am so pleased to hear this news.
I was beginning to fear that you found your time too valuable to continue this great effort - I think so many legacy AP owners are waiting to hear the good news.
Please count me in.
I can test with S1 analog , and S2 2322
and I am ready to continue testing whenever possible.
if you have any specific tests you would like me to do,
please let me know, My mail and snail adress are the same as before.

Best wishes, Michael

Last edited:
APIB

Hello in 2016,
A short update:

With the help of John's healing hands (he only touches my S1 and it is working like new),
i finally found the bug :).
It was a single "_" appended to a macro argument at the wrong place :deer:..

I have tested my S1 with DSP FFT, with the AP Switchers and the DCX (borrowed from John).
Anything works as expected - at least i did not found any error.

Next i will build a new apio DLL and send it to Duke, Michael and John.
If they have not given up and confirm that the interface is working i finally can finish this long going project in 2016:)

Udo

Hi Udo

Great, I will test it when you get me the new dll

Duke

Hi Michael & Duke,

Thanks that i can still count on your help:). I will do some code cleanup and send you the dll at the weekend.

I am really curious if the dll will work with S2 too as S2 uses a few unique functions.

I will build you two versions:
o Version A uses the original S2 functions (assembler code).
o Version B uses the S2 functions optimized for USB.
The S1 functions are identical in both dll's, the S2 functions build on top of the S1 low level functions.
Version A should be a safe bet.

Udo

Hello to all

Found this forum by accident when searching for a used USB APIB Converter (2700 family).
I'm still using an ISA-APWIN-card in an old PC for the Sys1, Sys2 and DCX127 devices with the APWIN 2.14 Software.
@ Udo: I hope you can finish your project sucessfully. I´m very interested in your USB Apwin converter. Will the converter also work with APWIN 2.14 and the .apb procedures including the .at1 / .at2 tests? Are the special system requirements?. Do you allready have an idea how much you will charge for it?

best regards
Werner

Last edited:
Hello Werner,

John, Michael and Duke have helped a lot with testing and problem solving.
Duke and Michael have done a lot of tests with APWIN 2.24-1390 and Windows XP - Windows 10 during the last weeks.

The S1 and S2 self test procedures are running successfully now (including DSP FFT, Digital IO, Switchers and DCX).
Duke is preparing additional tests for comparing speed.

AP Basic Procedures are running fine, but i have not tested APWIN 2.14 as i do not have access to it (can you provide a download link?).

Udo

Hello All
If you are using ApWin 2.14 get ApWin 2.24 and start using it. It is fully comparable with ApWin 2.24 and has fixed a few bugs. ApWin 2.24 can be installed and the old 2.14 is still left on the computer.
When installing 2.24 change the default directory(s) from xxxxx200 to 224 (Both places) it will make a new place for the program to reside. Also install ALL SYSTEM FILES and you then can have access to SYS1, SYS2 & SYS2C files.

Duke

Hello

I see that AR2 anticipated me finding the link.

@ Udo: I think it is not necessary to test with the 2.14 because the only reason why I´m using this version is that on my old system which can take the ISA-(apwin)card is running Windows NT which does not provide USB at all.

Werner

APUSB !! KUDO´S for Udo!

Hi all,
I am happy to report: APUSB is a success! IT WORKS GREAT !!!!

2015 , I and a few others (much more qualified and experienced folks) received a version 1 APUSB cable for beta-testing from Udok.
Following , came a test series of Udok´s AP USB interface and driver sw, provided by audioman1 (Thanks, you´re the AP GURU), some were executed by yours truly.

APUSB is a real solution using old AP hardware with a modern PC. I am the both happy and frustrated owner of a S1 (1992)and a S2 (2002), both still working great. Interfacing with these APs legacy machines is a nightmare.. Correction : WAS!

APUSB by Udo will connect your old Sys1 or Sys2 (A= apib I/F)
with newer PC´s
Running OS ´s win7 sp1 32 starter , win7sp1 PRO,
and Win10 64b have all been succesfully tested with the APUSB.
The OS´s tested have run appr the same test speeds under Apwin.

Simply do an install of the APUSB driver, connect APUSB cable, start APwin -
and enjoy!

APUSB just works - period.

I have tested APUSB on a number of older and newer PC´s, Intel´s Atom 1.66gHz Celeron, 3GHz P4, P5, but ONLY Intel´s CPU, sorry.

I have successfully tested Udo´s APUSB with APwin2.24 from a tiny netbook +win7sp1 32 starter, a laptop running XPsp3, a Desktop Win7sp1 Pro 32, and on a desktop and a laptop dual core win10 64B . Several different PC brands.
No issues were encountered.

Speeds were tested extensively with XPsp3 and APwin2.24 enabling comparison between APUSB , and an original AP Pcmcia card interface.
Running for an endurance timing test, on the same old XPsp3 Laptop machine,

a specially designed (THANKS Audioman1! ) AP macro test running 100 loops of a test series, taking 3hours+ per run, has shown that there is a small speed penalty of a few seconds added for each single APtest run. IMHO, this is peanuts.

Cheers ! Analogbuff
Disclaimer: I have no commercial interests in the APUSB project, but I was proud to assist in Udo´s great effort. Respect!