Audio Precision System Sys1 USB Interface

Tony, thanks for the reminder to finish the project.

The interface works fine with Sys1. The first DLL had some speed problems due to the interrupt driven protocol.
The current DLL solved the speed problems and extended the support for the DSP functions of Sys2.

The Sys2 functions are still untested. Problem is that it is holiday time and none of the brave testers had time and energy to send me an update for the new DLL and Sys2.
But hopefully i will get feedback the next 1-2 weeks.

I do not want to give out the interface without proper testing as my name is connected with it and nobody is delighted with nasty bugs..
And if more than a handful of people are involved i have fear that things can get complicated.
Unfortunately the USB interface depends a lot on "unknown" software and hardware.
This makes it a lot more complicated than a procjet where everything is under your own control.

I will send email to those who are interested in the interface to see who have a sys1 so that they can get the interface faster.

Best,
Udo

John,

Many thanks for your generous offer to help out with the Sys2722.
At the moment i do not have plans to support Sys2722 as AP offer
their own USB interface.

Duke wrote me that he is running his test suite on Sys2 with the USB interface.
Up to now Sys1 and Sy2c (Sys2 Cascade) worked without flaws.

With some luck we can finish the testing at end of week. Maybe he will report
his result here.

John,

Many thanks for your generous offer to help out with the Sys2722.
At the moment i do not have plans to support Sys2722 as AP offer
their own USB interface.

Duke wrote me that he is running his test suite on Sys2 with the USB interface.
Up to now Sys1 and Sy2c (Sys2 Cascade) worked without flaws.

With some luck we can finish the testing at end of week. Maybe he will report
his result here.

I was just wondering how this is progressing. I had converted my System 2 Cascade machines over to AP's USB interface so that I could run Win7 OS on controllers, but it is so painfully slow I am now thinking I will go back to XP-based controllers using PCIE to APIB, since it is so much faster. Who would have thought? Hopefully, your implementation will run faster, as I am using these in a production test environment where test time really costs money.

vlsiguy

Hello all,

I know it has been a while, but i was very discouraged by the project as
i did not find a way to fix a nasty bug in the firmware.

The good thing is that the hardware is finished and works with S1
in analog mode only.
The initial speed problems are solved too by transfering
some functions into the FX2 microcontroller.
The bad thing is that with S1 in DSP mode and with S2 there is a bug
which i was not able to fix.
It can only be a tiny thing as i have reverse engineered each of the
interface functions (and thought i have understood them :))

Problem is that i have no direct access to S1 DSP or S2 and
debugging is too complicated without seeing the result immediately
(And even with seeing the results it is not trivial as the protocol
does not always send the same numbers over the bus).

The S1 i bought last year turned out to have a buggy DSP section.
I looked at ebay for a S2 but i can not efford a good working one.
The cheap ones usually have hidden errors and cause
more troubles here.

Can someone here help out with an older working Sys-322 or
Sys-2322 which he no longer uses?

Regards,
Udo

Udo,

I 3 or 4 AP1's with DSP and Digital I/O but I only have the later 2722's if they are any good to you?

I have 2322's but in China :(

Your welcome to borrow what you need - I never use the units I hate the AP software and the useless non realtime FFT.

Can you collect them from me in Czech Rep? - we are 60km from Brno - 16km from Olomouc.

You and your Girlfriend are also welcome to stay with us for a weekend (or when ever) - you can also have access to my lab if its any help.

If you bring your buggy unit, then I can also take a look at repairing it for you.

I also have switchers & the AP1 Digital multimeter / IO unit (sorry cannot recall its model number) etc...

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Udo:
Its encouraging to see that the project is still real. I suspect there are a number of potential users of AP1's without the DSP (I am responsible for 2 myself) and would be happy with a project that only got that far. For DSP etc. when necessary we just stuck a Picoscope on the monitor out. Do you think the bug will require hardware modifications or just a firmware update?

Personally I tend to agree with JohnW on the usability of the AP stuff and would relegate it to production tasks myself. I can accomplish more faster with a traditional analyzer on the bench. Its interesting that part of the pitch for the APx555 is a new and more "bench friendly" UI that is completely NOT backward compatible.

@Martin
I think, it is only a small firmware bug (maybe a timing problem) which will not require a hardware change.

The interface looks somewhat unfinish without full S1 support, but if you are happy with the analog function i can send you two units.
But first lets give it another try. I have some spare time after christmas and with John or Richard's help i hope that i can fix the bug.
The APWIN Software indeed needs a lot of learning and is a bit rusty by todays standards. But it is stable and generates nice plots:).

@John
Thank you for the generous offer! If i can borrow a S1 with DSP and digital IO for two weeks would be of great help! Maybe you have time to do some tests with my S1?
Can i visit you in the week after christmass or in the first week of the new year (28.12 - 8.1)?
I have spare time then and i am also very interested to talk about your other project ideas about phase noise and audio analyzers (and see your lab too).

@Richard
Thank your for your help too! I hope that Johns help is enough to fix the S1 DSP bug.

@Martin
I think, it is only a small firmware bug (maybe a timing problem) which will not require a hardware change.

The interface looks somewhat unfinish without full S1 support, but if you are happy with the analog function i can send you two units.
But first lets give it another try. I have some spare time after christmas and with John or Richard's help i hope that i can fix the bug.
The APWIN Software indeed needs a lot of learning and is a bit rusty by todays standards. But it is stable and generates nice plots:).

@John
Thank you for the generous offer! If i can borrow a S1 with DSP and digital IO for two weeks would be of great help! Maybe you have time to do some tests with my S1?
Can i visit you in the week after christmass or in the first week of the new year (28.12 - 8.1)?
I have spare time then and i am also very interested to talk about your other project ideas about phase noise and audio analyzers (and see your lab too).

@Richard
Thank your for your help too! I hope that Johns help is enough to fix the S1 DSP bug.

Udo,

Deal :)

I'll be here (I hardly step outside of the lab) - So any time that's good for you over Christmas / New year - and we can accommodate if you don't mind a sofa bed :)