Audio Power Amplifier Design book- Douglas Self wants your opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lazy Cat,

Figure 2, you may move R3 to the left of the interruption, otherwise the amp output shall be almost null as T1 is just cascoding the CCS.

Do anybody consider inserting nonlinear BJT part to FB path as an improvement
?

Yes, as its non-linearity compensates the non-linearity of the input BJT.
Refer to "Distortion in Low-Noise Amplifiers" by Eric F. Taylor Aug and Sep 1977, Wireless World.
Figure 2 is only to show the wire breaking, place where T2 will be inserted. Cartoon style. You really think that I thought fig.2 is job done. Presentation 1, 2, 3.

Lazy Cat,

As usual picture tells more than words. T2 is the one to blame for the loss of organic quality of musical information in spite of claims that it is linearizing something and in spite of the fact that it cancels even order harmonics. It may do so but at what cost? Solution is worse than not solving the original problem.

This is all connected with civilization's Myth of progress. Technical developments are in numerous cases steps backward. People that listen Horowitz LPs and CDs are usually dissatisfied with quality of recordings done with "superb" SS equipment, and more than pleased with recordings made with "retro" valve technology. Specs do not tell the whole story.

Circuit designers are hard pressed to follow certain routine just because they are afraid that their product will be marked as having bad specs. The only way to prove that they are competent and that their product is "better" is to present some measurements And that is how we came to the point that most amps are VF, filters for musical emotion. Nothing comes through.

Mr. Self,
Could you answer the question of whether we can continue to refer to the current feedback amplifier topology as a CFA amplifier so we can end the argument brought up by Michaelkiwanuka. I am not arguing the superiority or otherwise just the terminology being used. Michael has continued to insist that there is no such animal and it is taking up to much of this thread at this point. Getting very off of your topic here. Thank you,
Steven

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I see the point Michael is making, but I am quite happy to treat "what is normally described as a CFA" as a CFA.

I haven't heard anything yet to alter my view that CFA is just a more difficult way to make an amplifier.

Yes, that is rather the elephant in the drawing room. Let me lead it forward by the trunk....

Seki, K “Multistage Amplifier Circuit” US Patent 4,145,666, 20th Mar 1979
Assigned to Hitachi.

While it has a deliberately obfuscatory title if I ever saw one, that patent is actually wholly devoted to TMC/Output-Inclusive compensation. The granting of the patent seems to show it was novel at the time, but as others have pointed out, it is a very simple circuit (once you know it) that I would have thought opamp designers would have discovered in the 1960's. A search through opamp stuff (and there is a huge amount of it) might trace its history back further. There is probably no point in going as far back as valve circuitry, because unity-gain output stages were not normally used.

Patent examiners are not infallible, and the granting of a patent does not guarantee that said patent is not invalid because of prior usage. On the other hand, I have found them to be pretty thorough in Britain. I had to tweak one of my patents to avoid a bit of prior art in 1909- by some fellow called Marconi.

Doug, if you are ignoring CFA in your new edition, it simply shows all you have is your "blameless" which you want to force upon the readers of the book that its the only capable amplifier in the whole world..........
Not so. There will be in the new book extensive coverage of several kinds of push-pull VAS, double input stages, Borbely-Lender, and so on. Which is best? The answer might surprise you...

CFAs are better and will remain so, build it if you haven't, but simply don't look with biased eye just because you having nothing except "blameless".
You know I don't do proof by assertion.

Its so many people who have built CFA's including me , there are also commercial implementations as well. Better accept the truth...........
Right. Let us have a list of every CFA you know of, so we can compare the numbers with how many VFAs exist.

If ultimate goal is to help designers to chose safe route for designing amps with great basic specs that are stable and easy for industrial series production then VF amps (with all safety measures like output inductor, Miller cap, etc) are obvious choice. No HiFi press review and lab report will be able to discard it as an incompetent design.
Quite so.

But if you need something that will be great for music listening than CF wins hands down.
I suggest cheap and simple experiment. Build applications note circuit for TDA2003 car radio power IC. This is CF chip. Do not limit bandwidth with Rx and Cx. Use more than 1000uF for output coupling so that LF attenuation does not influence your perception. This chip is internally compensated so you do not get huge slew rate. And yet all the goodies that are present in more complex CF circuits are present in abundance: great soundstage, detail, fast, fluid sound, resolution, emotion, pace, rhythm... Even most excellent VF designs sound stalled in comparison. This probably means that there is something fundamentally wrong with VF circuits concerning how they sound and I admit that I do not know what it is.
I am not sure that a car radio chip would be my first choice in aiming at high quality audio.

I am however sure, having spent more time than I care to contemplate in double-blind listening tests, that none of these qualities you list have any existence. Think what you are saying: an amplifier can alter the rhythm of music? Bossa nova in, Tango out?

Hi Doug,
When you refer to the Blameless and its performance, can you point us to the specific Blameless design you are referring to, as shown in the Fifth Edition of your book, by Figure number?
Cheers, Bob

Hello Bob

Examples are in Fig 6.31, Fig 7.18, and Fig 8.9. (5th edition) These are all pretty much the same, apart from differences in the output stage, and whether or not protection circuitry is shown.

Fig 10.19 is also Blameless, but the circuitry is complicated by the precision Class-A biasing system.

My favorite test for audio amps is to play orchestral recording with two instruments playing in unison. For instance, Freddie Hubbard and Dexter Gordon intro theme in Hancock's "Watermelon Man" or two violin intro of 4th Movement of Handel's Concerti Grossi. VF amps never differentiate two instrument colors in proper way, one violin is only vague echo of the other. CF amps shine with such difficult tasks, plus pace is much better. You feel like dancing while listening to music.

VF amps never differentiate two instrument colors in proper way, one violin is only vague echo of the other. CF amps shine with such difficult tasks, plus pace is much better.

Rather than clutter up this thread, perhaps you could level match them, record the signals out of the amps, and post the original and Diffmaker files in a new thread?

I think that the Mark Alexander CFA qualifies.Obviously the obs. Toshiba IGBT's are not avail, but a thought is to sub the Alfet Lateral MOFETs or use verticals too, as was shown in the old SSM2131 DS.

I agree it gets fairly close to Blameless performance, but it's a good deal more complicated. I think it's an awkward way to make an amplifier, but I certainly do not assert you cannot make a good amplifier that way.

I hope they weren't the sort of IGBT's that used to latch hard on above a certain current. :eek:

Not so. There will be in the new book extensive coverage of several kinds of push-pull VAS, double input stages, Borbely-Lender, and so on. Which is best? The answer might surprise you...

You know I don't do proof by assertion.

Right. Let us have a list of every CFA you know of, so we can compare the numbers with how many VFAs exist.

Seems no one has read your 5th edition, from the bottom of page 132 chapter 5 till page 134 a CFB topology is shown although you refer to it as " Series differential input configuration. Some pitfalls are discussed but not linearity.

Just as youve tweaked the old lin topology into the blameless having very low THD performance so this CFB topology can be tweaked to perform equal and in some aspects better than your standard blameless circuit using miller compensation, although use of TMC swings it back in favour of blameless.
Most commercial offerings using CFBs are not aiming at lowest THD so you dont see optimised circuits using the topology. As an example, introducing a beta enhanced vas as used with the circuit shown on page 134 (figure 15.4) markedly improves its performance and at frequencies higher than 5 KHZ no standard blameless can match its linearity. For ultimate low THD I find the Vfb topology best but cfb´s have constant low thd accross all audio frequencies and at higher frequencies will better standard vfb types such as the blameless.

I agree it gets fairly close to Blameless performance, but it's a good deal more complicated.
Hi Doug,
Not sure what the complication is that you refer too? At first sight, the MA CFA looks to be a rather strange, unusual arrangement.
1) Comparing PCB area,# of components wise?
MA/CFA implementation has less brd area, than the ckt I see referenced in fig 5.24, p134,ed 3. of APAD Handbook (Load Invariant) and what is posted at Signal Transfer Co., (http://www.signaltransfer.freeuk.com/invarint.htm)comparing a TH part implementation.
2) Circuit complexity? as in pcb nets (not including what is inside the SSM2131) , MA CFA, is also less for a MA/CFA than Blameless/Load Invariant.
3) Complexity in analysis? I agree the MA CFA is more complicated to analyze, since I could not Pspice it and could for the Blameless/LI!! But that is only my limited abilities.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.