Audio Nirvana Classic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lastly, a second attempt at the AN10 classic. This uses an additional Parallel filter (so at least not in series with the driver) to preserve the high end. No super tweeter need apply, but I'll not speculate on the treble from a 10" driver until I've heard it for myself. :) This one MIGHT get away without an impedance flattening circuit.

Attachments

• AN10 Classic best extension.gif
    AN10 Classic best extension.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 305
  • AN10 Classic best extension closeup.gif
    AN10 Classic best extension closeup.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 300
It's hard to say since I don't know how much gain the cabinet is providing; having studied MJK's BLH papers, I know that the gain is very much dependent on the Qts of the driver. If the AN8 truly has a Qts of 0.28 or thereabouts, it probably needs the full amount I gave in my simulations above but if the Qts is higher it might need less. If you actually build that filter and it turns out to be too much, I can easily go back in and adjust the values. It might be as easy as reducing the resistor in the BSC circuit but the contour filter might need additional adjustment as well.

Freddi, thanks for posting a measurement of the super 10. Just to see what would happen I copied your graph and it looks as though a simple 2.2mH/8R BSC circuit would go a long way toward balancing the response. Listening off axis would be enough to compensate for the rising high end, and I wager that ~5db peak at 3k is more annoying, so I tried to filter that out instead. With the filter in place less BSC is needed so the resistor drops to 6R. In total, 2mH/6R BSC, 0.15mH/15uF/12R notch filter, 15uF/15R zobel. PCD7 thinks that 5-10 degrees off axis will balance out the top end.

Attachments

• Freddi AN10 BSC.gif
    Freddi AN10 BSC.gif
    48.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Freddi AN10 BSC and filter.gif
    Freddi AN10 BSC and filter.gif
    48 KB · Views: 268
Last edited by a moderator:
How do I determine the exact QTS?
Without measurement tools, you really can't; I have the same problem. You'll have to do it by ear. If the full BSC make the speaker too bassy, you'll know that either the Qts is higher than advertised or the BLH is operating very effectively (or both!). What sort of horn do you have it in?

EDIT: by the way, I'm not sure if you have caps and coils just lying around, but if you do and you want me to simulate what would happen with values that you already have on hand, let me know. There's actually quite a bit of flexibility with these filters.

Well without actual frequency response charts it's hard for me to say. My suggestion might be to try the less extreme filters I offered above, and if those don't suffice you can go for more compensation. Honestly you could get away with the same values of caps and coils for both and just change the resistors, so trying both would be pretty cheap. And by the way, since I don't have any of these drivers myself I can't guarantee that these filters will be perfect. But given my experience simulating crossovers for my 2-way and how accurate that was, assuming the FR and impedance data being given by Audio Nirvana is accurate I'm confident the filters will work.

I was asked about a schematic for the Classic 8 filter so I thought I'd post it to the thread. The circles represent nodes where component leads need to be soldered or at least clamped together. The values on the schematic represent the AN8 filter with less baffle step correction, but the layout would be the same for any of the filters shown above (except for the more complicated AN10 classic filter which has four additional components; I'm happy to attach that as well if there's interest). Sorry for the lame drawing but it's my first shot at it.

Attachments

• Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Filter.gif
    Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Filter.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 387
I spent some time playing with the simulation this morning and made a breakthrough: my adding a capacitor to the BSC filter I can do away with the second series filter, making the AN10's filter much simpler and cleaner. Here's the final circuit and frequency response chart. It's easy to tune the response: if you increase the value of the series filter cap, you get more treble in the 6-10k range; if you decrease it, you get less. The simulation is for a 120L box 12in wide tuned to about 50Hz, and I factored in about 3db baffle step. I'm going to go back now and see if I can do something similar for the AN8.

Attachments

• AN10 Filter.jpg
    AN10 Filter.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 273
  • AN10 Classic best extension 2.gif
    AN10 Classic best extension 2.gif
    45.2 KB · Views: 272
Sorry I forgot to add the +/- symbols. It's very simple: in the schematic the top bar is the positive wire and the bottom bar is the negative wire. The left side is coming from the amp and the right side is heading to the speaker. You can look at the other schematic I posted for reference.

Success! Here's a simpler and more effective circuit for the Classic 8. This one retains even more HF extension than the old one and doesn't require the addition of a zobel at all. the impedance follows a gentle arc from 8 ohms up to 14 and then back down, while the electrical phase remains very smooth so no problems for tube amps. In one picture you'll see a comparison between the old filter and the new filter (old is in gray).

Attachments

• AN8 filter 2.jpg
    AN8 filter 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 256
  • AN8 Classic Filter and BSC 2.gif
    AN8 Classic Filter and BSC 2.gif
    45.6 KB · Views: 246
  • AN8 new filter and old filter comparison.gif
    AN8 new filter and old filter comparison.gif
    48 KB · Views: 82
The 10in will work better in a box type cabinet than their smaller units. For e.g., this MLTL: internal dimensions 56in x 13.5in x 10.5in (HxWxD). Zdriver 21in, vent 3in diameter x 1in long. Line the top, back & one side wall from the top 45in down. Brace to suit, and it's a max-flat alignment, so adjust & damp to taste / your own room / system in practice.

This was from a discussion a few years ago about the Audio Nirvana 10" cast driver. I have stumbled onto a pair of AN Classic 10" and wondered if this MLTL cabinet would work for those. What changes might you suggest to make this or a similar cabinet work? I do not really like the cabinet designs listed on the CSA site and want to do something with a little more performance and flair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.