• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Innovations Series 500 problems

and again the latest status of mine AI500:)

I am looking for a replacement for the Black gate 220uF/50V They had there best time...

with a totally new earthing scheme!!

Attachments

• IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 572
Good God, I remember referring this thread when fixing my friend's AI500
not much to fix 'n tweak though, change the selector to alps, several lytics to cerafine black, 0.22uF green ero input cap to light blue ones.

How does your mod now sounds advr? also what is your recommendation for the 2 220/400V big caps?

thanks
TeguhPS

hi,

A month later and my Ai is very different as well....

many caps are now Jensen paper in oil.

How does your mod now sounds advr? also what is your recommendation for the 2 220/400V big caps?
which one do you mean?

There is nothing left (only the trafo's) from the original anymore. earth scheme is totally different , all in a star to one point with thick cable. All hardwired.

It's sounds superb. There is much more control, depth, 3D, baas, sweet high. No disturbtion at al. No rumble and noise at 10 cm from my tweeter.

I like it. There is stiil much to do but I like it.

Ad.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 305
the two lytics after the power transformer, congratulation with your tweak btw

they where changed also with 330uF 450V Nippons also the rectifier changed to real diode network:D

also changed the one Resistor to 4 pieces parallel .

much work.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 06012011019.jpg
    06012011019.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 278
hi,

The dusty things where in place from 1987... I have an early AI 500 MKII Ed de Jong told me that once.

Of course the AI sounds different now then a couple of years ago...:D
But then not quite different.

The scheme is still the same but now I have a better earth scheme, all to 1 point. All capacitors are new with somewhat greater value and more voltage headroom. The components have better specs and all is hardwired.

It gives much more control, the easyness of the music (sorry for my english), depth, 3d. Music comes more alive.

Of course I tuned the sound a bit for my own taste and the acoustics of my listening room. But I already did that whith tuberolling:D

But the 8 W (triode) gives now so much more power and less, less distortion at higher sound levels. Also now noise at the Esotec tweeters and only a minimum hum at the woofers. That are the benefit of a good earth sheme!
Even Sjostakovitch, Bartok, Mahler, everything is in place and stays in place how hard it goes...:) But Pat Metheny is also playing smoothly in y room... I can almost touch him.

So, yes the sound is somewhat different but not much more then with tuberolling.

Now I am searching for a scheme of a DIY Border Patrol. Do you know where to find that?

Regards,

Ad.

Last edited:
what do you means with 8 W triode? is it a tube type? Yes I've read the Border Patrol PSU somewhere, I think the only way is to ask gentlemen here who have them to look inside :). I wonder what Ed de Jong think of it

The problem with AI500 is space, personally I like to have CLCLC in there

well, AI500 in triode mode that is interesting, If you don't mind please share your latest schematic with values etc. My friends AI500 is still at my home :), maybe he is in for triode mode. CLCLC is my favorite filter for power supply, preferably with tube rectifier

Hi
I'm new here and i own a IA 500 valve amp 220~240v. Now i will like to upgrade the capacitor to black gate, which is the actual size for the amp? is it 25v 220uf??? and how many pieces do i need? Kindly pls provide the photo and show me which capacitor need to change.

Thanks

recommendations

Hi,
I have an Audio Innovations SE 500 and it appears that the controls on the front panel are on the way out.

Each of the selectors and the balance control require careful tapping to ensure i get both channels of audio, the volume control crackles when adjusted.

Can anyone recommend suitable replacement parts for these items and a good supplier for them?
Thanks!
dicki

Well, I have been looking for the same. Unfortunately the 47k logarithmic pot used in the 500 does not seem to be available. There's a 50k log in Alps, I saw one on eBay called Blue Velvet for £11.50 plus £7 shipping from Germany.

But... I am sure there are many fakes out there, and that's my main concern. My plan is to replace the caps first, because the pot in mine isn't crackling. I will probably bypass the balance pot too, it's not really necessary. Mine's always set dead centre...

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread. I want an AI S500.

Early vintage have 3-tap output transformers (4-8-16), later have only 2 taps (4-8). Posters state preference for the former, but no one referred to AB test. Has anyone AB tested S500 3-tap vs. 2-tap, both in similar operating condition? The one I sold was 3-tap.

Europe has more S500 for sale than in the US. Schematic seems to indicate mains transformer taps for both 115V and 230V mains: https://drtube.com/schematics/ai/ai500-89-4.gif Do all S500 transformers have taps for both 115V and 230V?

Thanks!
JR

Last edited: