audio capacitors 1800/150 uF ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
are you sure you have got this right?Again are you sure?

Adding insulation between two conducting materials INcreases capacitance
and has no effect on the inductance.

Increasing the loop area of the circuit increases the inductance.

I think that quoted 'learning' site has that wrong as well. It stated that the inductance of the capacitor wires increases when the wires are close together.

Jan

I enjoyed reading your post very much, thanks! :)
I just wanted to share a thought. No matter the existing differences between an engineer and a technician, I'm sure both contribute together in a teamwork in order to create something better. Mutual respect should be applied by both categories. There is nothing wrong being a technician instead of an engineer if this is what makes your life happy.
P.S. As a mixture between a technician with slight engineering capabilities, I often find flaws in the work of my engineer colleague, mostly through practice, but this doesn't mean I disrespect him. He has greater knowledge in some aspects I still don't.

Last edited:
I remember two conversations with two young EEs. One (who had stayed on to do a Masters) was complaining that he had not been taught sufficient practical skills to be useful. The other (who had gone into industry) realised that he had not been taught sufficient theory to be useful (in particular, about noise). This was in the UK, so may not be typical of elsewhere.

Our engineers are taught just enough theory to confuse themselves and not enough practical skills to be useful. Hence they often end up just doing project management, with the doing being done by good technicians and the thinking being done by good physicists. Sadly the demise of good technical education here means that the supply of good technicians is drying up, as these people now go to 'university' and become 'graduates' instead.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
The real problem for a technician's envy is that the wages DOES NOT reflect that mutual respect that people expect.As a test technician i often offered my insight to prototyping engineers that just used my informations, get twice more money than me and just give me more horrible practical and theoretical problems to solve, because they are put to pressure themselves by their managers to get their designs quicker to test and later production.That made me learn more theory because i often ended up with modifying the original projects or even modifying the test procedure itself to make the damn thing work properly.
The design engineer might show his respect for my work in test department, but he never recomends me for an engineering course that could help me more as he finds me usefull as his own tool for doing his job more efficient and earning more money.

The only way is to do the same thing as he does, steal as much information as you can an learn the same way he did .There's no shortcut to go upstairs other than LEARNING!
You can despise an engineer, but you can't despise engineering.

Last edited:
I had a simillar discussion with the phylosophy teacher who was also the manager of the college when i was in my 12th grade in highschool(state public romanian system back in 1995) and i remember mentioning the Maxwell electricity basics books against the usual books used to teach us electricity while i was doing 7 hours of physics every week.At the time i had the same thoughts as you.I was 18...It took me another 20 years to get to read and solve the university courses with problems for transistors and topologies from that time and still didn't understand everything very well.That course was ment to be learned by students in 3 months among other 12 courses.It took me litterally 6 months to read that course and that was everything i did in those 6 months but i was enough with being mocked by real electronics engineers for my lack of knoledges on theoretical aspects.I never went to a university and learned electronics just out of passion.Now i have 15 years of servicing, repairing and even prototyping minor analogue and digital electronics, i was really good in everything i did including servicing high tech medical and physical chemistry analysers,industrial lasers ,very high precision interferometers and many other trully interesting things , i was even able to improve or innovate arround them on many ocasions, but never became a true prototyping proffessional like those who were able to learn the hard and institutionalized way, like those who learned tons of mathematics and got to microelectronics hardcore prototyping .

I am amazed that your topic got to 30 pages...but i am not surprised by the fact that you have the same learning difficulties in your adulthood.
Please let me tell you smth:
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS AS YOU, I ALLWAYS HAD THEM AND THEY NEVER DISSAPEARED, but i learned only one small thing in my 40 years: 1+1still equals 2, no matter how many education systems have changed since i was 6 years old when i started primary shool.

What i am trying to tell you is that learning the hard way will never be challenged by untraditional methods of learnig because they are a special construct for people that shows learning difficulties.

You might be a genious, but if your way of learning is not compatible with the vast majority of teaching techniques, you won't be ever able to be at the same level with those who CAN be teached the usual way just because of the amount of knoledges that are taught the usual way to people, way before they could get to most difficult theoretical aspects.

On the other hand there's nothing on this world to impede you make a new discovery, have a true lateral thinking that would bring new revolutionary ideas to this world.
At the same time your discovery will be just another discovery among zillions of discoveries made by both genious and not so genious but hard working people.

DF96 is a trully remarcable guy and there's lots of things to learn from him.
He read your topic and answered to you.
Did you read his topics or posts in other topics than yours?

So , if i don't agree with you is because there's a bombproof experience i had since i finished my military service.
A technician, no matter how good it is, is still a technician.He might be way better than an engineer on practical aspects and still he won't be able to assimilate theoretical aspects at the same rate as an engineer.
I find many over proud technicians, i am one of them ,ocassionaly they can outperform an engineer here and there and sometimes even on minor theoretical aspects, but an engineer has a different aproach than a technician and will be able to harness the theoretical aspects better in general than a technician.
Even if you have an engineer diploma, your mindset is the one of a testing technician in contempt to theoretical engineers and this isn't any value at all.
You might outperform an engineer sometimes on practical aspects relevant only to you , but that is all you can do.
By the way...my usual jobs were described as test or service technicians while my official badge was one of a Testing or Service engineer.The truth was the one written in the contract.Sometimes i didn't even wear my badge at sight because i was ashamed to show that in front of a true engineer.Everybody adressed me as an engineer just because i was capable enough for the job, but i never forgot what an engineer is.II don't have a single diploma or did any electronics course in my life, except one for alarm systems after i have allready serviced them for two years in the past .I allways lerned everything at the job and i was quite proficient.I had your attitude at the beginning for a few times but then i met real engineers that had a bit of teaching talent.They put me to shame and so i started to realize that even those who don't have a teaching talent or techniques were way better than me on many aspects.The only way to learn something is TO LISTEN FIRST!

English is not my maternal languge so i apologise for grammar or other mistakes if they apper to you so in my writings!

Thank you for your lengthy reply, I agree with a lot of what you say.
I am not an academic learner, I am a practical 'hands on' learner. Like you I don't do well with qualifications but in the last few years I have returned to adult learning for the academically challenged and begun gaining basic qualifications in things like English and maths etc. As a young person I learned through hands on mistakes, trial and error!
From a young age I started dismantling things and fixing them to find out how they worked, for me culminating in servicing and fixing car engines all by myself without tuition, it just seemed obvious to me how to do these things, & fridges, washers, cookers & building PC's. I am good at doing the job itself - but not writing about it, not good at exams, I used to panic and faint but I have overcome this fear in the last ten years. I do have memory problems after being involved in a road accident when I was 16 years old, plus other recognition difficulties!
I dare say FD96 is academically brilliant and I will never be his equal in that respect, but I refuse to reside with him in humility as it is obvious that our personalities 'clash', he makes me feel like I am being reprimanded!
I reserve my humility for things like the universe, Christ and Buddha and other supreme beings; not for humans who have been given qualifications by other humans, real learning is in life itself - not being 'groomed' in a classroom from innocent infancy and force fed materialistic & capitalistic concepts and ideals and then passing an exam to prove you have grasped those generally accepted rules. A guru once said: "you have filled your head with worldly concepts - how am I to teach you the truth? ~ go away and unlearn everything you have been taught in the World and then we can begin with a clean canvas to start again, you are no good to me like that!".
Life's lessons are true learning, having your mind filled/crammed with academic theory is pseudo learning; or as the guru said: "wasting your time filling your head with useless facts, leaving precious little space for the higher self (the inner space) to shine through!". LISTEN TO THE HIGHER SELF (not men).

Last edited:
A guru once said: "you have filled your head with worldly concepts - how am I to teach you the truth? ~ go away and unlearn everything you have been taught in the World and then we can begin with a clean canvas to start again, you are no good to me like that!".
This sounds remarkably like brainwashing to me, some military organisations do very similar things

This sounds remarkably like brainwashing to me, some military organisations do very similar things

Well, it would sound like that if you have not yet awakened and you are still in slumber with the ego (lower self). To the disbeliever no proof is possible, to the believer no proof is necessary (as you are starting to experience the transcendental higher self). A life student and pilgrim once said: "I have many friends with great material wealth and they are not happy, but then I see you (the guru) content in ecstasy; give me that which brings this joy without Worldly entrapment's!", the guru replied: "many pass over the true gold again and again in search of that ecstasy but they never find it in the material World whilst denying the existence of the golden wisdom within the inner World, therefore look inward and not outward for the joy of contentment". :hypno2:

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I just changed my location as i am not living in the UK for about 4 months now and i never considered myself british.
It might sound weird for a british guy what i am going to say...or at least rasist which is not, but i have to take the risk for this:
I can tell that British education system is a ruin up to the 10th grade and even higher in some places..
Last year i saw some manifests against Grammar schools and i was again...amazed by how people can be induced in such stupid idiology like that they don't need vocational schools.The children are overprotected and groomed from the begining in that desastruous educational systems.They have to be considered equal no matter what.If they are stupid or can't get good grades because of lazyness , they have to be given good grades or be paised for every little nothing that they do so that they won't feel embarassed among other children...
Allmost all the engineering and high tech personell come from outside of the UK and got their basic aducation in a HUMBLE and FULL of HUMILLIATIONS system that gives good grades only to the best of them .All the countries that give UK's best engineers and scientists have vocational schools and they are payed from those governments budgets.So UK's taking advantage of foreign high tech engineers as much as possible while other countries payed for their education.
The guy who made the graphene is a russian guy who got his basic education in Russia where you can't even finish your physiscs highschool if you don't own two foreign languages , litterature, world history and geography, geology, biology , genetics, inorganic and organic chemistry and mathematics at the same level as in the second grade at Cambridge University, even sports and so on up to 16 -18 different subjects.And you have to learn them all and be proficient in taking some really difficult exams not just attend those courses..
UK laws are showing the same thing at every corner: overprotection.You need to be apreciated for every little thing that you do so that you can do some more nothing...
Sorry for being so straight to you.Grow up!Buddha is not working for your benefits or your NHS system .
At the same time the best engineers i've known in audio design in my life were pure native british , but their attitude wasn't the one i usually found in the UK.
What i found in the UK and i am simply honest about it is that people often scream for rights without deserving them most of the time.
The victim's often the bully too!
Well...UK's the only contry i know where you can be named or considered an engineer without having finished a university or even a MASTER in some cases.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
It's all fun and games until you get left out of the patent that you've contributed to.
that happened to me for a patent that should actually have my name as the first name on it ...but that's history and i don't even consider that thing to be relevant for my carrier.Now i'm just amused of the fact that the guy who had that patent is an engineer with a phd in lasers as he used my work project as his graduate project for optical electronics engineering , and after 9 years since then my work is still his only patent:D

Right, I have fired up the 100t DAC and there may well be subtle differences in the sound, "BUT!" I can't really tell to well because while I was working on the DAC the HiFi bug bit me again and I sold my puresound 2A3 and bought the Sophia Electric 91-01 300B monoblock amps which have a different sound anyway!
One thing: the puresound was completely silent in itself and through the speakers, but the Sophia's have a slight buzz in themselves and through the speakers, is this buzzing normal? You have to put your ear on the speaker to hear it but the buzzing amp can be heard from a few feet away. :confused:

I remember two conversations with two young EEs. One (who had stayed on to do a Masters) was complaining that he had not been taught sufficient practical skills to be useful. The other (who had gone into industry) realised that he had not been taught sufficient theory to be useful (in particular, about noise). This was in the UK, so may not be typical of elsewhere.

Our engineers are taught just enough theory to confuse themselves and not enough practical skills to be useful. Hence they often end up just doing project management, with the doing being done by good technicians and the thinking being done by good physicists. Sadly the demise of good technical education here means that the supply of good technicians is drying up, as these people now go to 'university' and become 'graduates' instead.

i can relate to this....

Right, I have fired up the 100t DAC and there may well be subtle differences in the sound, "BUT!" I can't really tell to well because while I was working on the DAC the HiFi bug bit me again and I sold my puresound 2A3 and bought the Sophia Electric 91-01 300B monoblock amps which have a different sound anyway!
One thing: the puresound was completely silent in itself and through the speakers, but the Sophia's have a slight buzz in themselves and through the speakers, is this buzzing normal? You have to put your ear on the speaker to hear it but the buzzing amp can be heard from a few feet away. :confused:
buzzing sounds like faulty assembly.

buzzing sounds like faulty assembly.

I sent a sound file of the buzz to the seller and they said: "This is certainly 50Hz, which should not be there." They told me that they did not have this problem with the sophia's so there must be a fault with your supply but my supply was fine with the previous amp!
With the Sophia's I have to use a step down transformer 230>120v and the seller intimated that the step down transformer must be unsuitable for the task!

It is an Airlink BPS0508 and the supplier said this was OK for the Sophia's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.