audio capacitors 1800/150 uF ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, I used two phrases which mean the same thing. You used a phrase which means nothing. Can you understand the difference between a synonym and meaninglessness?

Copper is not an insulator!! Do you understand the meaning of any of the words you use?

And doubtless there are lots of ignorant people to buy such useless items. At best they simply do what any mains cable does: get power safely to the equipment. At worst they either increase RFI (some have an ungrounded 'shield') or introduce electrical safety hazards.

Would you prefer to have your errors and contradictions left unchallenged? If so, the discussion would have to end as there would be no basis for intelligent communication. You would still be confused, but less aware of this. On this forum nonsense is challenged; I understand there may be other audio websites where nonsense is welcomed and celebrated.

I suggest a little humility would help. Start listening and start learning.

Yes I know the difference between synonym/antonym & meaninglessness. But anyone with a brain would retort with: I have construed your term "capacitance leak" as meaning "stray capacitance" when reading 'between the lines'! I therefore conclude that you are merely being awkward and you knew perfectly well what I meant all along. Anyway, it isn't meaningless as I found this definition:

...."In electronics, a 'capacitance leak' may refer to a gradual loss of energy from a charged capacitor. It is primarily caused by electronic devices attached to the capacitors, such as transistors or diodes, which conduct a small amount of current even when they are turned off."

I will re-phrase the next statement ("Insulation does not prevent EMI/RFI"). Copper shielding tape does block/reduce EMI/RFI, as sold by several members of eBay, I realise this is a conductor, not an insulator.

I think sellers/manufacturers of shielded mains cables would beg to differ regarding it being useless!

I do not prefer to have my errors and contradictions left unchallenged! But it is the tone of the response that needs moderating; e.g. in a textbook an author may address this as being "popular misconceptions etc." and then list each one a, b, c, etc. But not question and/or reprimand every single individual that buys the book when they make a mistake!

Textbooks may contain errors: yes.
Reading a textbook causes brainwashing? Nonsense. One is supposed to read a textbook with all critical faculties in play. Having said that, nine times out of ten if the reader disagrees with the author then it is the reader who lacks understanding.

IMO yes it can do! (when critical faculties are nuked), e.g. cult religion books.

But if you read in any book something that you know is wrong, then you simply ignore it, because usually it is typo or errata during the printing. For example, the book from van der Veen, ha said power is E²*R, and in the example becomes E²/R. So, imaginary you say "This guy is wrong", and simply continue reading.

It is still worse when you read or listen stupidities from a person. When pupil in certain Argentine University, when a professor said things wrong, and you can't correct it because he then revenges in the following exam, don't finishing the course never more.

I know there are typo's.

It's the main reason I hated public education a lot. You're aware of the teacher's mistakes, but you dare not challenge them and if you do, you get punished for it. You can't question the teacher's knowledge or authority. Even if he's wrong. What a dictatorship.
But it's made to work great for the masses. That, I can't deny.

Well said, I found even school mostly useless. I could never understand the teaching method, but years before the internet I went home and used books in my own free time until "the penny dropped". Now-a-days it would be picked up on like dyslexia which means you need an alternative approach to teaching that individual pupil, when 'conventional wisdom' fails. Back then in the day, you didn't have 'learning difficulties', you were just branded as a STUPID IDIOT!

thedoc735 said:
DF96; don't get me wrong, I respect your apparent consummate ability and knowledge but find your attitude to those with lesser knowledge somewhat belittling, demeaning and condescending!
You misunderstand your situation. I am very patient to those with less knowledge provided that they show themselves to be teachable. You, on the other hand, have wanted to argue every point and insult those trying to help you. It is only because of my patience that you are not in my ignore list. I also try to be more tolerant of rudeness and arrogance from people I assume to be youngsters.

Osvaldo de Banfield said:
When pupil in certain Argentine University, when a professor said things wrong, and you can't correct it because he then revenges in the following exam, don't finishing the course never more.
50AE said:
It's the main reason I hated public education a lot. You're aware of the teacher's mistakes, but you dare not challenge them and if you do, you get punished for it. You can't question the teacher's knowledge or authority. Even if he's wrong. What a dictatorship.
It is sad that such things occur, as they are the very opposite of what should happen in a university. I have not faced such revenge, but with a few profs I sensed some discomfort when I challenged them. A genuine academic will welcome questions and challenges, but the rapid expansion of 'higher education' meant that some people were given jobs which are beyond them so they don't wish to be exposed.

thedoc735 said:
Yes I know the difference between synonym/antonym & meaninglessness. But anyone with a brain would retort with: I have construed your term "capacitance leak" as meaning "stray capacitance" when reading 'between the lines'! I therefore conclude that you are merely being awkward and you knew perfectly well what I meant all along.
I wondered if you/they meant stray capacitance, but instead of jumping to conclusions about what was meant and who actually said it I asked. It would have been better if you had simply answered my question.

Anyway, it isn't meaningless as I found this definition:

...."In electronics, a 'capacitance leak' may refer to a gradual loss of energy from a charged capacitor. It is primarily caused by electronic devices attached to the capacitors, such as transistors or diodes, which conduct a small amount of current even when they are turned off."
It was meaningless in the context in which you used it. See, you are still arguing instead of listening.

I will re-phrase the next statement ("Insulation does not prevent EMI/RFI"). Copper shielding tape does block/reduce EMI/RFI, as sold by several members of eBay, I realise this is a conductor, not an insulator.
This is somewhat more than a mere rephrase.

IMO yes it can do! (when critical faculties are nuked), e.g. cult religion books.
Textbooks.

BTW DF96: in post 237 I was reporting what I'd done, I was NOT asking for tuition of any kind; it is entirely your own presumption that you took it on your own back/shoulders/yourself to offer teaching when none was requested or sought!

humility? - "the quality of having a modest or low view of one's own importance"; in this context - 'NO CHANCE!' :p

This is a prime example of an insult without resorting to foul language or threats.

Are you a former in-compassionate, inconsiderate, intolerant headmaster or some other sadistic occupation perhaps?

I hate it when unremarkable human beings "THINK" they are somehow 'better' than me.

Last edited:
I am very patient to those with less knowledge provided that they show themselves to be teachable. You, on the other hand, have wanted to argue every point and insult those trying to help you. It is only because of my patience that you are not in my ignore list. I also try to be more tolerant of rudeness and arrogance from people I assume to be youngsters.

I am teachable but have learning difficulties, I am not a stupid idiot.
"Ague every point", you said it is good to challenge and that is what I have done! where are the insults? So, ignore me then! How old are you, I am no youngster?

A genuine academic will welcome questions and challenges,

"Ague every point", you said it is good to challenge and that is what I have done!

I wondered if you/they meant stray capacitance,

Well, you should have clarified it with me then.;)

It was meaningless in the context in which you used it. See, you are still arguing instead of listening.

You never stipulated in what context, you just said it was meaningless, how am I to know if you don't say what you mean? You are still arguing too!

This is somewhat more than a mere rephrase.
OK, shows I am learning then.

Textbooks.

If textbooks are providing inaccurate information when attempting to learn, and the pupil trusts this source and does not yet have the knowledge to discriminate or employ critical faculties, that then becomes a source of being mislead by the tutoring material and as it is incorrect, I argue that constitutes a form of brainwashing because you then have to unlearn it and start all over again! We have to agree to disagree on this issue I think.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
BTW DF96: in post 237 I was reporting what I'd done, I was NOT asking for tuition of any kind; it is entirely your own presumption that you took it on your own back/shoulders/yourself to offer teaching when none was requested or sought!

humility? - "the quality of having a modest or low view of one's own importance"; in this context - 'NO CHANCE!' :p

This is a prime example of an insult without resorting to foul language or threats.

Are you a former in-compassionate, inconsiderate, intolerant headmaster or some other sadistic occupation perhaps?

I hate it when unremarkable human beings "THINK" they are somehow 'better' than me.

Obviously it is your problem that people exist more knowledgable than you. I doubt you will find in real life people as patient with you as DF96.

Obviously it is your problem that people exist more knowledgable than you. I doubt you will find in real life people as patient with you as DF96.

I don't have a problem with more knowledgeable people, it's just the attitude, he needs to learn some humility and stop talking down to those with less knowledge! And now he needs other people to step in (like you) and fight his corner on his behalf. Surely he can speak for himself? What's it got to do with you anyway, unless you have something useful and constructive to say about the subject matter/thread topic?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I don't have a problem with more knowledgeable people, it's just the attitude, he needs to learn some humility and stop talking down to those with less knowledge! And now he needs other people to step in (like you) and fight his corner on his behalf. Surely he can speak for himself? What's it got to do with you anyway, unless you have something useful and constructive to say about the subject matter/thread topic?

Ok, I'm done here!

I know some people with genuine learning difficulties. They are easy to get on with. They don't argue all the time.

My ignore list just expanded.

People with learning difficulties ALL have their own personality traits! So, now you are an expert on learning difficulties all of a sudden? I find it hard to believe that you could be so judgmental of my condition when you haven't even met me! A verdict based on a forum thread were out personalities appear to have clashed. You said: "to challenge is good", I am therefore being challenging, not argumental. Unless of course you mean that it is OK for you to challenge me, but not OK for me to challenge you? i.e. Don't challenge the apparent teacher or if you do - prepare to face a backlash! ~ as others on this thread have pointed out! Let's be clear on this: by learning difficulties I mean things like dyslexia, not down's syndrome etc. I would have thought that someone with learning difficulties would present more of a challenge to a teacher - not less than the average pupil? I accept that you are now ignoring me, glad to have had the last word!

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Well said, I found even school mostly useless. I could never understand the teaching method, but years before the internet I went home and used books in my own free time until "the penny dropped". Now-a-days it would be picked up on like dyslexia which means you need an alternative approach to teaching that individual pupil, when 'conventional wisdom' fails. Back then in the day, you didn't have 'learning difficulties', you were just branded as a STUPID IDIOT!
I had a simillar discussion with the phylosophy teacher who was also the manager of the college when i was in my 12th grade in highschool(state public romanian system back in 1995) and i remember mentioning the Maxwell electricity basics books against the usual books used to teach us electricity while i was doing 7 hours of physics every week.At the time i had the same thoughts as you.I was 18...It took me another 20 years to get to read and solve the university courses with problems for transistors and topologies from that time and still didn't understand everything very well.That course was ment to be learned by students in 3 months among other 12 courses.It took me litterally 6 months to read that course and that was everything i did in those 6 months but i was enough with being mocked by real electronics engineers for my lack of knoledges on theoretical aspects.I never went to a university and learned electronics just out of passion.Now i have 15 years of servicing, repairing and even prototyping minor analogue and digital electronics, i was really good in everything i did including servicing high tech medical and physical chemistry analysers,industrial lasers ,very high precision interferometers and many other trully interesting things , i was even able to improve or innovate arround them on many ocasions, but never became a true prototyping proffessional like those who were able to learn the hard and institutionalized way, like those who learned tons of mathematics and got to microelectronics hardcore prototyping .

I am amazed that your topic got to 30 pages...but i am not surprised by the fact that you have the same learning difficulties in your adulthood.
Please let me tell you smth:
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS AS YOU, I ALLWAYS HAD THEM AND THEY NEVER DISSAPEARED, but i learned only one small thing in my 40 years: 1+1still equals 2, no matter how many education systems have changed since i was 6 years old when i started primary shool.

What i am trying to tell you is that learning the hard way will never be challenged by untraditional methods of learnig because they are a special construct for people that shows learning difficulties.

You might be a genious, but if your way of learning is not compatible with the vast majority of teaching techniques, you won't be ever able to be at the same level with those who CAN be teached the usual way just because of the amount of knoledges that are taught the usual way to people, way before they could get to most difficult theoretical aspects.

On the other hand there's nothing on this world to impede you make a new discovery, have a true lateral thinking that would bring new revolutionary ideas to this world.
At the same time your discovery will be just another discovery among zillions of discoveries made by both genious and not so genious but hard working people.

DF96 is a trully remarcable guy and there's lots of things to learn from him.
He read your topic and answered to you.
Did you read his topics or posts in other topics than yours?

So , if i don't agree with you is because there's a bombproof experience i had since i finished my military service.
A technician, no matter how good it is, is still a technician.He might be way better than an engineer on practical aspects and still he won't be able to assimilate theoretical aspects at the same rate as an engineer.
I find many over proud technicians, i am one of them ,ocassionaly they can outperform an engineer here and there and sometimes even on minor theoretical aspects, but an engineer has a different aproach than a technician and will be able to harness the theoretical aspects better in general than a technician.
Even if you have an engineer diploma, your mindset is the one of a testing technician in contempt to theoretical engineers and this isn't any value at all.
You might outperform an engineer sometimes on practical aspects relevant only to you , but that is all you can do.
By the way...my usual jobs were described as test or service technicians while my official badge was one of a Testing or Service engineer.The truth was the one written in the contract.Sometimes i didn't even wear my badge at sight because i was ashamed to show that in front of a true engineer.Everybody adressed me as an engineer just because i was capable enough for the job, but i never forgot what an engineer is.II don't have a single diploma or did any electronics course in my life, except one for alarm systems after i have allready serviced them for two years in the past .I allways lerned everything at the job and i was quite proficient.I had your attitude at the beginning for a few times but then i met real engineers that had a bit of teaching talent.They put me to shame and so i started to realize that even those who don't have a teaching talent or techniques were way better than me on many aspects.The only way to learn something is TO LISTEN FIRST!

English is not my maternal languge so i apologise for grammar or other mistakes if they apper to you so in my writings!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.